The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?
JLC Master Ultra-Thin Perpetual Calendar in rose gold 27 35.06%
Patek Philippe 5146R Annual Calendar 50 64.94%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 February 2018, 11:56 PM   #1
kevmacau
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5196R 116610LV
Icon7 JLC MUT RG Perpetual Calendar <vs> Patek Philippe 5146R Annual Calendar

Hello everyone. I am planning to add a rose gold calendar piece to my collection and I have narrowed down to two choices. Which one would you choose and why?

Some thoughts:
1) The JLC is a perpetual calendar while the Patek is an annual calendar. To me, perpetual calendars are superior to annual calendars but I can't afford any Patek perpetual calendars. Therefore I am not sure if the JLC is the 'wiser' choice here.
2) I am currently on the wait list for a Patek 5711. Buying the 5146 now may cancel my purchase decision of the 5711 as I don't see myself having two Pateks in the near future.
3) The JLC is around $13k cheaper than the Patek, taking my AD's discount into consideration. so I may use this difference to fund my 5711.

Have a nice day!
Kev
kevmacau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 12:38 AM   #2
SROB
"TRF" Member

I've never owned either brand, so would defer to others... but my $.02, unless resale is a big deal to you, I'd go JLC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 12:59 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm really impressed by the JLC PC, very clean and efficient dial and fantastic price, so I would get this and the 5711. Otherwise I'd choose the 5396 with Breguets as my AC.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 02:33 AM   #4
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
The JLC all day long.
Old 11 February 2018, 04:15 AM   #5
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
No doubt it got to be the one and only Patek Philippe 5146R....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 04:18 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The dial of the JLC looks much nicer imho
Old 11 February 2018, 04:33 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROB View Post
I've never owned either brand, so would defer to others... but my $.02, unless resale is a big deal to you, I'd go JLC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Somewhat similar here. I do own a JLC (but not a PC), and I also voted for JLC.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 05:03 AM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Both beautiful watches. I think it when you buy a Patek you buy it because you want a Patek. On complication and price alone the JLC is the obvious choice... but it’s not a Patek. Maybe that means something to you and maybe it doesn’t. And that right there is your answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 February 2018, 05:15 AM   #9
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmacau View Post
Hello everyone. I am planning to add a rose gold calendar piece to my collection and I have narrowed down to two choices. Which one would you choose and why?

Some thoughts:
1) The JLC is a perpetual calendar while the Patek is an annual calendar. To me, perpetual calendars are superior to annual calendars but I can't afford any Patek perpetual calendars. Therefore I am not sure if the JLC is the 'wiser' choice here.
2) I am currently on the wait list for a Patek 5711. Buying the 5146 now may cancel my purchase decision of the 5711 as I don't see myself having two Pateks in the near future.
3) The JLC is around $13k cheaper than the Patek, taking my AD's discount into consideration. so I may use this difference to fund my 5711.

Have a nice day!
Kev

As a 5146R owner I would say JLC. More complication for the money. The perpetual dial is beautiful.

LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 05:25 AM   #10
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
I've tried both on a LOT! and the Patek feels much richer and nicer on the wrist. The JLC is nice but it isn't comparable to the Patek finishing.
Old 11 February 2018, 05:33 AM   #11
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
I've tried both on a LOT! and the Patek feels much richer and nicer on the wrist. The JLC is nice but it isn't comparable to the Patek finishing.

I have never seen the JLC PC. I actually did not know they made one.

I agree the 5146R is one of my favorite watches. It has stood the test of time in my collection which is hard to do. It has a great feel on the wrist. 38 mm is perfect. It has a warm feel with the cream dial and the rose gold case.

Old 11 February 2018, 05:34 AM   #12
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitzDoc View Post
I have never seen the JLC PC. I actually did not know they made one.

I agree the 5146R is one of my favorite watches. It has stood the test of time in my collection which is hard to do. It has a great feel on the wrist. 38 mm is perfect. It has a warm feel with the cream dial and the rose gold case.

Old 11 February 2018, 07:48 AM   #13
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
I have tried both the JLC and the Patek, I would choose Patek. The 5146r just feels better on my wrist.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:06 AM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Ultimately it comes down to which one passes the 3 second test? For me it’s the 5146 all day every day. The case is so well proportioned and the dial is so darn classic!
Old 11 February 2018, 09:48 AM   #15
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I have never taken a liking to the 5146 reference, so I vote jlc in this case
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Historically JLC has been known for their movements and having provided movements for other Swiss watch manufacturers. JLC has made perpetual calendars for quite some time now, but the recent version that OP tried is a nice modern design.

IMO, JLC makes a nice perpetual calendar for the price and I think their SS PC for under $20K USD is a bargain.

However as others have said, people purchase a Patek because it is a Patek. Not just in name only, Patek makes some nice watches. The 5146 is probably their most popular AC and has been in production for over 10 years. Patek just celebrated the 20th Anniversary of the Annual Calendar a couple of years ago, having patented the AC in 1996.

At this price level, get the watch that appeals to your heart. Another consideration is a pre-owned patek 3940J, which should be available at a slightly higher price.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:44 AM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan of the moonphase at 12 on the JLC. Can't dispute it is good value for money with the complication at a reasonable price (but the finish of the JLC is not as perfect as the PP.)

For some reason, the 5146 really doesn't do anything for me. In terms of annual calendars I far prefer the 5396 and 5205.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 12:32 PM   #18
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Something to be aware of with some PCs including this JLC:

"Easy Operation

The watchmakers in Le Sentier made life very easy for the lucky ones who will buy this Jeager-LeCoultre Master Perpetual. To set or correct the perpetual calendar, there is only 1 button. You can’t mess up (big time). The only thing you need to take care of is that you don’t set the calendar between 8pm and 4am. Some mechanisms have already been set to motion, and it is better to not temper with it during this event. Also, the little pusher at 8 o’clock that you use to forward the date (the days, months, years and Moon automatically correspond) should be used with care of course. If you push it too many time and advance beyond the current date, there is little you can do except wait for the power reserve to run out and wait for the date that is being displayed. If you really advanced it too far (months, perhaps years), you need to have it fixed by a watchmaker. This movement has no reverse button (some perpetual calendars do have this), so always set the date with care."

Credit- Fratellowatches article by Robert-Jan Broer, December 9, 2016
Old 11 February 2018, 12:45 PM   #19
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Depends on your OCD. Personally, I wouldn’t settle, meaning if you really want the PP. If you’re really in the air on it, the JLC is a very nice alternative.
Old 11 February 2018, 01:23 PM   #20
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
JLC MUT RG Perpetual Calendar &lt;vs&gt; Patek Philippe 5146R Annual Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post

"Easy Operation

The watchmakers in Le Sentier made life very easy for the lucky ones who will buy this Jeager-LeCoultre Master Perpetual. To set or correct the perpetual calendar, there is only 1 button. You can’t mess up (big time). The only thing you need to take care of is that you don’t set the calendar between 8pm and 4am. Some mechanisms have already been set to motion, and it is better to not temper with it during this event. Also, the little pusher at 8 o’clock that you use to forward the date (the days, months, years and Moon automatically correspond) should be used with care of course. If you push it too many time and advance beyond the current date, there is little you can do except wait for the power reserve to run out and wait for the date that is being displayed. If you really advanced it too far (months, perhaps years), you need to have it fixed by a watchmaker. This movement has no reverse button (some perpetual calendars do have this), so always set the date with care."

The downside of this is that if the watch sits for a long time, there is no quick advance for date, day, month, etc. You have to scroll forward through time with the crown to advance them day by day. So if you’re not going to wear this one everyday, get a winder for it.

If the choice is 5146 vs JLC and a 5711, I’d take the latter. If the choice is 5146 vs JLC, I’d take the 5146. On the wrist, it’s just a much more special watch.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 02:03 PM   #21
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:

"Easy Operation

No wonder people stop setting their PC’s after awhile. As much as I’d like to own a PC, that just seems to be too much trouble for me.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 02:50 PM   #22
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
No wonder people stop setting their PC’s after awhile. As much as I’d like to own a PC, that just seems to be too much trouble for me.
A winder solves the issue of not having to reset a self-winding PC while not being worn. And the JLC above is self- winding. However manual wind PCs would have to be reset each time after the power reserve runs out.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:38 PM   #23
macct
"TRF" Member

I like both, but selected the Patek. I would select the JLC if it was in SS. The JLC is more attractive IMO and wears well on the wrist. The Patek wears higher on the wrist, and has more wrist presence. The Patek also wears small with a wider bezel. IMO, the Patek is the better buy than a gold JLC.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 12:03 AM   #24
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
I love both watches, and nearly pulled the trigger on that same JLC earlier today (listed on another forum). However, having owned a couple of JLC PC's in the past the thing I can't get past is the date window. It spoils the symmetry of the dial for me, and it's a dial that needs symmetry.

For that reason alone, the PP gets my vote.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:20 AM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Big fan of JLC here, but you have to go with the Patek in this case.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 06:25 AM   #26
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

I've owned both in WG, ended up keeping the 5146. While I appreciate JLC, the Patek was just more satisfying to wear, IMHO. I like that it is more substantial than the JLC, while still being discrete. The saphire/dial has a bit more depth as well, and the deployant is a nice touch. The Patek is a bit more difficult to set, but I keep mine on a winder. I feel like the the Patek also edges out the JLC aesthetically with its more rounded as opposed to sharper lines. Can't go wrong either way, but overall the Patek wins for me.
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 03:00 PM   #27
.db
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
For some reason, the 5146 really doesn't do anything for me. In terms of annual calendars I far prefer the 5396 and 5205.
I feel the same way.
.db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 03:04 PM   #28
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I voted on for the JLC because I much prefer the dial to the PP. It's very well laid out in my opinion whereas I find the PP a little clumsy looking.

If you can also use the savings to fund a mystical 5711 then it's a no-brainer in my opinion.
Old 16 February 2018, 03:15 PM   #29
onmyhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek

A Patek is always a Patek. The presence and wrist feeling is IMHO better.
I will go for 5146r.
onmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 03:41 AM   #30
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:

"Easy Operation

I had an IWC PC with a Kurt Klaus movement and this happened to me. I will never buy another PC again.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote