The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2018, 05:07 AM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The Application Process

How does the application process work? Is there an essay you write describing why you believe you are worthy of keeping it for the next generation? Do you recount your watch-buying history? Describe the first time you saw a Nautilus and got weak in the knees?

Or is it more “general?” Do you attach your engagement announcement as posted in the New York Times? Attach your school transcripts starting from prep school?

I really don’t know, although I am not sure if I will like the answer.
Old 16 February 2018, 05:31 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
How does the application process work? Is there an essay you write describing why you believe you are worthy of keeping it for the next generation? Do you recount your watch-buying history? Describe the first time you saw a Nautilus and got weak in the knees?

Or is it more “general?” Do you attach your engagement announcement as posted in the New York Times? Attach your school transcripts starting from prep school?

I really don’t know, although I am not sure if I will like the answer.
There is no secret, be passionate about your Watches and wear them all. Patek want more than anything people to wear their pieces.
Lastly, never flip - a flipped allocated Patek is the last allocated Patek you will get.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 05:57 AM   #3
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
There is no secret, be passionate about your Watches and wear them all. Patek want more than anything people to wear their pieces.
Lastly, never flip - a flipped allocated Patek is the last allocated Patek you will get.

This.....^^^.....

Plus your AD highly recommend you on the application would help too...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses to my admittedly indelicately phrased post.

So which are the "application pieces"? Are they the 5170p platinum chrono with diamonds? Or are they super rare, made-to-order pieces that I may not even be familiar with? Or something in between?

I get the feeling that these days, getting PP pieces is a vicious cycle -- you need a history to get allocated a piece, but you to be able to buy some in order to have a history.
Old 16 February 2018, 06:49 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Many are called...

But few are chosen....

Buy Pre-owned...

Burma Shave

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 07:55 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thanks for the responses to my admittedly indelicately phrased post.

So which are the "application pieces"? Are they the 5170p platinum chrono with diamonds? Or are they super rare, made-to-order pieces that I may not even be familiar with? Or something in between?

I get the feeling that these days, getting PP pieces is a vicious cycle -- you need a history to get allocated a piece, but you to be able to buy some in order to have a history.
That 5170p is readily available used so not that hard to get and a good way to start building a relationship. Other similar chrono watches are the 5980/1r and 5905P and the 5960s, you buy these and then you might one day, if you're lucky, and eat up all your vegetables, get allocated the super simple SS 5711
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That 5170p is readily available used so not that hard to get and a good way to start building a relationship. Other similar chrono watches are the 5980/1r and 5905P and the 5960s, you buy these and then you might one day, if you're lucky, and eat up all your vegetables, get allocated the super simple SS 5711
I admit that this is, at the moment, a curiosity for me. I am not a watch “collector” and really enjoy wearing my Daytona every day. I have thought that a Patek dressy piece could be fun one day, but that would, I imagine, be far from an allocation piece. I am more “Patek curious” than anything else. And so I am curious about the various hoops that Patek asks you to jump through, even though the idea of begging someone to take my money is a little foreign to me.
Old 16 February 2018, 08:20 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I admit that this is, at the moment, a curiosity for me. I am not a watch “collector” and really enjoy wearing my Daytona every day. I have thought that a Patek dressy piece could be fun one day, but that would, I imagine, be far from an allocation piece. I am more “Patek curious” than anything else. And so I am curious about the various hoops that Patek asks you to jump through, even though the idea of begging someone to take my money is a little foreign to me.
Well we do have that on D500s now, and in UK if you are with a large chain, like Goldsmiths, then your AD has to lobby for you at head office or sometimes Rolex themselves for you to get a hot piece, so it's a similar allocation process. Gotta buy a few PMs to get these SS ones now in this topsy turvy world.
Old 16 February 2018, 08:24 AM   #9
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well we do have that on D500s now, and in UK if you are with a large chain, like Goldsmiths, then your AD has to lobby for you at head office or sometimes Rolex themselves for you to get a hot piece, so it's a similar allocation process. Gotta buy a few PMs to get these SS ones now in this topsy turvy world.
Agreed. This is certainly not limited to PP. And I feel the exact same way about Rolex re — begging them to allow me to buy their products.
Old 16 February 2018, 09:23 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The most common example of an application piece is the 5131. The AD submits your name, along with other requested information to either Geneva or the regional Patek distributor for a specific watch.

Some common information included in the application include your address, profession, and the current list of Patek watches you own, along with how long the AD has known you as a customer.

If you list your profession as watch flipper or reseller, there is a good chance you will not be approved for the watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 12:08 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I understand it’s all in the game but the sort of song and dance required to get some Pateks is a bit like the rich and powerful ceo who goes to see the dominatrix once a week to get his kicks
Old 16 February 2018, 12:15 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The most common example of an application piece is the 5131. The AD submits your name, along with other requested information to either Geneva or the regional Patek distributor for a specific watch.

Some common information included in the application include your address, profession, and the current list of Patek watches you own, along with how long the AD has known you as a customer.

If you list your profession as watch flipper or reseller, there is a good chance you will not be approved for the watch.
On my next passport application I am going to put as my occupation, Watch Keeper.
Old 16 February 2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On my next passport application I am going to put as my occupation, Watch Keeper.
Ha! Me too. 31 years as a daily wearer for my first. Now the Daytona is 30 out of 31 days per month. Probably not the sort of buyer Thierry is looking for.
Old 17 February 2018, 04:18 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

ive heard the AD is the one holding most of the cards as they are the ones that are lobbying for you to Patek, and are really the most important part of the equation. Is that the case?
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 05:06 AM   #15
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Shouldn’t that be watch caretaker - you only look after it for the next generation
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 06:30 AM   #16
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Your AD does it all when you make the cut.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 08:09 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Shouldn’t that be watch caretaker - you only look after it for the next generation
I was going for something Game of Thronesy but yeah just a Watch Janitor.
Old 17 February 2018, 08:43 AM   #18
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 07:00 PM   #20
onmyhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Ha ha..... sorry, I think Watch Keeper is good. You keep your watch and decide who to give later. Just like spending your "children money" ahead and not leaving it to your children......... and miss the chance of buying a PP.
onmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote