The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #211
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee1 View Post
I come from family of lawyers so its in my blood to think about proofs all the time. I guess it was wrong choice of words but I seriously hope they don't damage the watch as it'll be very unprofessional.
I thought you were going to say I come from a family of mathematicians, I always think of proofs. lol
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 05:40 AM   #212
newbee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex day date
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I thought you were going to say I come from a family of mathematicians, I always think of proofs. lol
LOL, I wish :)
newbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 04:17 PM   #213
will919
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King
I sent my Rolex to them for a estimate. It was ridiculously low and that's fine. However, when I told the agent my bottom line and would not negotiate any lower she flat out hung up on me. Kinda makes me worry about my Rolex.
will919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 07:28 PM   #214
will919
"TRF" Member

I am also glad I took detailed pic's too!
Old 10 February 2018, 10:15 PM   #215
Jetcop 20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16628 mop dia/sap
Bad 'ole Bob

Moral of the story...F Bobs Watches and buy ,trade or sell onl;y to a KNOWN reputable place or person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Jetcop 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 10:19 PM   #216
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Bob's Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetcop 20 View Post
Moral of the story...F Bobs Watches and buy ,trade or sell onl;y to a KNOWN reputable place or person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Not entirely sure that’s the moral. I’ve heard success stories with Bobs many many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 February 2018, 11:35 PM   #217
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
They are a business. A for profit business, I get it. But there are fair and unfair ways to make profit.

There is a lot of money in the preowned Rolex game. You don’t build the vintage Rolex collection that Paul had by giving away the farm. I just wish that they were more transparent on the wholesale side.

On the retail side it is on the buyer to do their due diligence and make an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 12:11 AM   #218
will919
"TRF" Member

To be upfront and transparent is it exactly.
Old 11 February 2018, 12:38 AM   #219
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetcop 20 View Post
They have never been shown to have sold a fake. Their prices on the retail side are upfront for all to see (a tad high compared to the TS who work out of the trunk of their car). There isn't anything of poor repute for buyers, and a lot of people have been happy with purchases from them.

I wouldn't sell them a broken Timex though. The wholesale side is deceptive IMO.

FWIW, you can go to their store and deal in person.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 02:28 AM   #220
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
Although they were very nice, I just felt their watch was listed way to high .. no biggie, I go elsewhere .. I became insulted with their offer .. Then I read where they reduce their stupid low offer even more as soon as good ole Bob get his hands on your watch .... Then delays return of your watch hoping you'll just give up and accept their insulting price to buy

Yep. I have always been a make no waves guy. I don’t complain about someone’s prices. If I like it and want to buy it I will make an offer. If they take it great. If not I don’t get my feelings hurt.

Now when the took an extended period of time to return my wife’s watch after jacking me around, was not happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 10:17 AM   #221
ssmith96
"TRF" Member

This is paining me, because I have a '99 Sea Dweller that I want to sell, I'd be okay with 5k, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling online. I called, they said 5500 is their top price, but I have a chip in the crystal, sent pics to the guy and he took a look while we were on the phone. He told me it honestly looks pretty good but he could see the chip, said worst case between that and other minor things I'd probably be looking at 5,200.

Was nice enough on the phone, and I told him I really am not interested in going below 5k and thats why I sent the pics, he assured me that he understood and barring anything unforeseen in my pictures that he doubts it will drop below 5k.

Now, after reading this, it makes me have doubts about whether or not to send them my watch.
ssmith96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 11:21 AM   #222
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post
This is paining me, because I have a '99 Sea Dweller that I want to sell, I'd be okay with 5k, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling online. I called, they said 5500 is their top price, but I have a chip in the crystal, sent pics to the guy and he took a look while we were on the phone. He told me it honestly looks pretty good but he could see the chip, said worst case between that and other minor things I'd probably be looking at 5,200.

Was nice enough on the phone, and I told him I really am not interested in going below 5k and thats why I sent the pics, he assured me that he understood and barring anything unforeseen in my pictures that he doubts it will drop below 5k.

Now, after reading this, it makes me have doubts about whether or not to send them my watch.
If I were you, I would reach out to DavidSW or Thanh (Takuya) and have them give you a quote based on your photos. Based on what I’ve read here Bob’s seems to say one price but once they receive the watch offer a lower price.

Good luck.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 11:43 AM   #223
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
If I were you, I would reach out to DavidSW or Thanh (Takuya) and have them give you a quote based on your photos. Based on what I’ve read here Bob’s seems to say one price but once they receive the watch offer a lower price.

Good luck.

Exactly this. No harm sending a couple more emails out for quotes.

Old 16 February 2018, 10:47 PM   #224
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post

Bob’s final offer will be around $4k. They will buff out the scratches, pop a new after market crystal in, and list it for $7k.
Old 16 February 2018, 11:26 PM   #225
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi

Is forum member Paul watches (paul altieri) who has items in the for sale section the owner of bobs watches?
Old 16 February 2018, 11:28 PM   #226
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi

Is forum member Paul watches (paul altieri) who has items in the for sale section the owner of bobs watches?
I think SK31 said he was.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 11:45 PM   #227
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp View Post
Just for awareness Paul Altieri is now listing watches for sale here as "Paul Watches". For example:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=altieri

I have not done business with Bob / Paul but did not see this mentioned in the thread - apologies if I missed it.
Thanks Mon. I just spotted this post.
Old 17 February 2018, 12:22 AM   #228
raky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
I recently bought a Datejust off Bob's Watches a two-tone 16223 Rodium Dial with Roman Markers. It was a complete set with box and papers and though I know I could have paid slightly less elsewhere, I have been searching for a complete set for a couple years at the price I was willing to pay. The only other one I have seen on the market was a watch only. I think on the buy side, if you find a watch you like you can expect it to be in great condition - mine looked almost brand new and the transaction was flawless.
raky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 04:46 AM   #229
Canary2323
"TRF" Member

Almost bought one of bobs but prices seem high

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Canary2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 10:52 PM   #230
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Bottom line is Bob’s does bait and switch
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 11:14 PM   #231
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Bobs has 2 pieces I am interested in at very good prices. Sadly the only reason I won’t buy them from him is these reviews. I can’t gloss over pages of complaints when I am looking to spend 40k. Irregardless if my transaction is handled by Paul personally, out of respect for all who have been screwed I would never spend money there. Bobs lost me before he even had a chance to get me as a customer. I think he caters to the more money than brains crowd. People see a good selection and automatically trust him. I think I will be Naples in a few months. I will just wait until then and shoot over to Orlando.....Orlando, where honest, trusted sellers set up shop.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:00 AM   #232
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Bobs has 2 pieces I am interested in at very good prices. Sadly the only reason I won’t buy them from him is these reviews. I can’t gloss over pages of complaints when I am looking to spend 40k. Irregardless if my transaction is handled by Paul personally, out of respect for all who have been screwed I would never spend money there. Bobs lost me before he even had a chance to get me as a customer. I think he caters to the more money than brains crowd. People see a good selection and automatically trust him. I think I will be Naples in a few months. I will just wait until then and shoot over to Orlando.....Orlando, where honest, trusted sellers set up shop.
I wouldn't put bobs in the swindler box. If they have something you like, buy it examine it, if you don't like it email them and send it back, they will send you your money back.

They will guarantee every piece of the watch is guaranteed authentic, many top sellers will not. I had some springbars that were aftermarket on my watch-- they sent me rolex spring bars. My DD wasn't flipping instantaneously, they fixed it and sent it back very quick, in fact they had to hold it for a while as I was still on vacation. Larry their service guy is awesome to deal with, Carol is also super to work with.

When I return watches they can be counted on to properly apply payment to another watch or refund it. When I have sold watches, they are a little rough in trade-in in terms of value they never beat me up but the values were a bit low. However there is a lot less risk, the money is sent immediately, no paypal fees or holds, no ebay fees, no risk of being robbed during a f2f. They also buy their watches, not merely consign them, which imho is a different level of scrutiny applied to their watches they sell as they would buy them.

People here are upset that the watch they wanted to trade back was valued lower than they were told. Not everyone of my transactions was pleasant, Joe for exampled yelled at me which was not professional, but overall they are quite good and trustworthy. There aren't 40 pages of complaints, but arguments of complaints. There are far worse places to buy from, for example I bought a Royal Oak, sent it back for service since it wasn't as described, they never gave it back and went out of business.

Are they perfect no, I would if I were them perhaps pay a bit more for their watches to garner more good will (but they do send you insured postage to use to send it out), I wouldn't yell at people (only happened once out of many interactions), perhaps be a bit more responsive, but they are very close to a very well oiled machine. I would perhaps focus a bit more on customer service, make it a competitive advantage, but they are a really good option that provide liquidity in the market.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:18 AM   #233
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
^Why would you work with people who yell at you? I wouldn't want to take that kind of verbal abuse.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:54 AM   #234
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
^Why would you work with people who yell at you? I wouldn't want to take that kind of verbal abuse.
Some people like to be abused.... I know a girl who made a business out of it... Oh never mind, TMI.... Lol.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:45 PM   #235
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Good question. I guess I deal better with slaps and punches versus a knife in the back. I can handle yelling and direct confrontation perhaps too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
Some people like to be abused.... I know a girl who made a business out of it... Oh never mind, TMI.... Lol.
Lol.
Old 19 February 2018, 09:00 PM   #236
newbee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex day date
I have bought a watch from Bobs (~$12k worth of watch) and tried to sell one which did not go well. In their defence, I'd like to mention that buying from them was a great experience. Watch looked brand new and was in a great condition. They were very professional and if I like anything from their store again, I'll def buy it.

Yes, I'll not try to sell/trade with them but that's a difference issue.
newbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:16 AM   #237
kevinsmitha813
"TRF" Member

I don’t quite understand a lot of the points made here. I am new to the forums but most of these points seem to be without merit. I did quite a bit of research before buying a Rolex from them a couple of months ago and found them to be very honest, professional and open with their pricing. They guarantee their watches to be 100% genuine Rolex ( unlike some others ) and their prices are fairly priced at market. And they ship immediately so they have the actual watch in stock. You never know what you are getting from some other smaller dealers or on ebay. Price is important but getting a 100% genuine Rolex is more so. Consequently, I wasn’t really comfortable dealing with a smaller independent private person and wanted the assurance of dealing with a larger reputable company on such a large purchase.
kevinsmitha813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 07:34 AM   #238
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsmitha813 View Post
I don’t quite understand a lot of the points made here. I am new to the forums but most of these points seem to be without merit. I did quite a bit of research before buying a Rolex from them a couple of months ago and found them to be very honest, professional and open with their pricing. They guarantee their watches to be 100% genuine Rolex ( unlike some others ) and their prices are fairly priced at market. And they ship immediately so they have the actual watch in stock. You never know what you are getting from some other smaller dealers or on ebay. Price is important but getting a 100% genuine Rolex is more so. Consequently, I wasn’t really comfortable dealing with a smaller independent private person and wanted the assurance of dealing with a larger reputable company on such a large purchase.
Buying from Bob’s isn’t risky, but they are priced higher than other trustworthy sellers. Typically about 10% higher. Not crazy high, but better options are out there.

Selling to Bob’s is the problem. They consistently offer much less for your watch than advertised on their site, or discuss on the phone. They 100% know they will polish and have a watchmaker check the watch, but don’t include those costs in their initial estimate.

Any business is going to offer wholesale pricing. But the other sellers are more upfront with issues that deduct from the buy price. Many people feel that Bob’s buying practices are deceptive.
Old 20 February 2018, 08:12 AM   #239
watchme22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Gosh it's taken me an hour to read all these scathing posts. I've was at Bob's Watches website several weeks ago and noticed that their pricing was way more than prices I see from sellers on TRF.

There's another business called Jomashop and they too charge way too much for Rolex watches. Some are new watches, but some obviously are not. Rolex warranties are not offered on any of them, however.

Last year I bought an IWC Pilot's Mark XVIII for $2,975 delivered and no sales tax. I thought it was a good price compared to what TRF's reseller prices were for the exact same watch. Plus, I got to use my credit card at no added cost. But, recently I traded this watch in to a reseller on TRF and basically lost my shirt on it. Lost even more because Jomashop offers only their own 2 year warranty and the IWC original warranty is good only from their network of AD's.

But, reading this thread has had the effect of me deleting Bob's Watches from my Chrome bookmarks. Perhaps I should delete Jomashop too. A great place to buy a Rolex or other nice watches is Costco because their warranty is FOR LIFE. I found out that one of their warehouse stores on Long Island, NY sells new Rolexes and you can charge it on your Citi Visa and get up to 3% back if you are an Executive member. No extra charge for credit card use. But, all Costco will take is a Visa card, check, or cash. This is even better than a Rolex 5 year warranty as you never need to sell the watch. Just return it to Costco for a full refund. If it increases in value, then you may want to sell it on the open market, but you can't offer a warranty unless, of course, Rolex has made Costco an AD.
watchme22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 04:44 AM   #240
Max16013
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16013
Wow juicy..

Think it’s funny that y’all don’t think you’d run your Rolex business, if you had one, the exact same way.

Ofc you would.

Max16013 is offline   Reply With Quote