The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 April 2020, 05:22 AM   #1
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Navitimer From the Nineties

Dear All,

I would like to ask your opinions/suggestions.

I’m now in the market to get a 90s (era) Navitimer either the Airborne, Cosmonaute or Twin Sixty 2 to commemorate my flying career.

If I may ask:

1. If any of you have or had owned on these three models I mentioned above, kindly please share you thoughts with me (what you like/unlike).

2. For this nineties period, what kind of box/paper I expect to get for a full set: yellow box with yellow papers or blue box with white papers or combination on these?

3. How long the ideal service interval for the 2892/7750 based movement?

Thanks...

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
Old 9 April 2020, 08:36 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytamp View Post
I’m now in the market to get a 90s (era) Navitimer either the Airborne, Cosmonaute or Twin Sixty 2 to commemorate my flying career.

If I may ask:

1. If any of you have or had owned on these three models I mentioned above, kindly please share you thoughts with me (what you like/unlike).

2. For this nineties period, what kind of box/paper I expect to get for a full set: yellow box with yellow papers or blue box with white papers or combination on these?

Can’t comment on question 1 as I haven’t owned those specific models, although in many cases Navitimer variations are only superficially different.

For question 2 it very much depends on which period (early, mid or late) in the 90s, because boxes changed, and some specific watches came with different boxes than the main.

The simple answer for question 3 is every five years - but Breitling would probably say a minor service every two years and a major every five, and some watch owners would say that most watches can go without a service for ten year, provide the last service was done using modern lubricants.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 05:24 PM   #3
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Can’t comment on question 1 as I haven’t owned those specific models, although in many cases Navitimer variations are only superficially different.

For question 2 it very much depends on which period (early, mid or late) in the 90s, because boxes changed, and some specific watches came with different boxes than the main.

The simple answer for question 3 is every five years - but Breitling would probably say a minor service every two years and a major every five, and some watch owners would say that most watches can go without a service for ten year, provide the last service was done using modern lubricants.

Many Thanks, arcadelt

Old 14 April 2020, 02:22 AM   #4
ADIGA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytamp View Post
Dear All,

I would like to ask your opinions/suggestions.

If I may ask:

Thanks...

Great choices. I got an Airborne. I got it preloved recently. Don’t go for box and papers - two reasons: 1 - it’s gonna a heavy premium 2 - likely to be eBay collected items to make it complete.

For service, and you need it once and for all for a care free use, do it at Breitling and they will overhaul, use all original parts, and give you a service warranty document= that’s the best paper you can get on your 90s B.

Widen your search: Navitimer Olympus, though the early 1461 variations, are mostly “90s”.
ADIGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:11 AM   #5
ishan74729
"TRF" Member

I can answer #1 and #2

I bought a early 2000s Navitimer Cosmonaute (A12322 COSC Lemania on strap) with box and papers in Tokyo last December. The watch was very very gently used by its previous owner and was pretty much in mint condition. I had always wanted to own a Navi and once I saw this one in person, totally fell for it. Beautiful dial, good size and wears very well and works like a charm (more accurate than my less than year old Speedy when I wear both over a couple of days).

Paid roughly $3400 for it (after JPY to USD conversion) and it came serviced. Would definitely recommend this over a regular Navi as it is a fun experience wearing a 24-hr watch and would appeal to the pilot inside you.

PM me if you need any more information regarding the reference.
ishan74729 is offline   Reply With Quote