The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2020, 11:59 PM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Apollo 11 down to MSRP at greys

Just noticed for the first time on David SW's site they have an Omega Apollo 11 watch for roughly MSRP. Curious to see if the downward trend continues. I considered getting one but I'm not willing to pay >$9K for that watch.

https://davidsw.com/watches/omega-wa...anniversary-3/

Quote:
OMEGA
SPEEDMASTER
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary
$9,975

1 IN STOCK
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I agree its a nice watch, but I see no reason for it to sell over retail anywhere, It's not exactly Limited (On planet Omega c7000 watches is limited, but not here on earth)
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:26 AM   #3
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
It's not exactly Limited (On planet Omega c7000 watches is limited, but not here on earth)
6969 according to Omega.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 04:18 AM   #4
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’d go for it at retail or thereabouts. It’s a terrific watch. Certainly not at retail in the U.K. OK value compared to some LE’s given the upgrades too....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Talbel
"TRF" Member

I just had two local ADs tell me that Omega “found” a couple of new ones left over and were being offered by one of the ADs for $9,650. I believe that is slightly less than MSRP for new from an AD.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 11:49 AM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
This one never interested me. I don’t like the idea of a person on a watch, a little too cartoonish for me, Even if it is Buzz.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 11:56 AM   #7
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
This one never interested me. I don’t like the idea of a person on a watch, a little too cartoonish for me, Even if it is Buzz.

^ this.

if they’d made this exact watch but with a normal running seconds subdial I’d have been all over it.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:01 PM   #8
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Why don’t all modern speedmasters have that bracelet?
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:29 PM   #9
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
6969 according to Omega.
There have been a couple of incomings here, so lets say around 6967 left.

I'll stick with c7000 as a round figure. That's anything but limited.
Old 27 May 2020, 04:24 PM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There have been a couple of incomings here, so lets say around 6967 left.

I'll stick with c7000 as a round figure. That's anything but limited.
you’ve really got a bee in your bonnet about it haven’t you? Just don’t buy it then....
Old 27 May 2020, 04:27 PM   #11
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don’t really notice it in real life. The gold pops so it takes your eyes off it. The downside is that you can hardly ever see the seconds running hand. At least with the snoopy they put the cartoon dog above the dial...
Old 27 May 2020, 08:55 PM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
Why don’t all modern speedmasters have that bracelet?
I’m clearly in the minority here. But I am not a fan of the flat link bracelet on that case. The case is curved, curvy lugs, and then a transition to a flat bracelet. For my eye, the flat link bracelet looks better and makes sense on the straight lug Speedmasters. The current Speedmaster bracelets have links that have a slight curve to them and look a bit more integrated. The sliver of polish which is not overdone picks up the polish on the lugs. With that flat link bracelet the pcl is a much larger surface and overwhelms a bit. Perhaps I’m just lucky as I’m one of the few that was able to get a perfect fit with my modern Speedmaster, it’s as comfortable as my sub or any other Rolex I’ve owned in the past.
Old 27 May 2020, 09:47 PM   #13
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m clearly in the minority here. But I am not a fan of the flat link bracelet on that case. The case is curved, curvy lugs, and then a transition to a flat bracelet. For my eye, the flat link bracelet looks better and makes sense on the straight lug Speedmasters. The current Speedmaster bracelets have links that have a slight curve to them and look a bit more integrated. The sliver of polish which is not overdone picks up the polish on the lugs. With that flat link bracelet the pcl is a much larger surface and overwhelms a bit. Perhaps I’m just lucky as I’m one of the few that was able to get a perfect fit with my modern Speedmaster, it’s as comfortable as my sub or any other Rolex I’ve owned in the past.
I guess the flat link is more a vintage nod. I love it and makes the watch look more interesting to my eyes, but get why some would not. Personally while I like the boggo speedy bracelet in itself the protruding end links always made the watch wear slightly big on me - not an issue with the pivoted flat links.

The clasp is lovely and small on this one too - albeit it lacks any sort of micro adjustment aside from 2 holes! Thankfully the links are small enough so that most can get a decent fit.

I will say that the blingy polished bits of the links are one thing I actually like. This watch is more jewellery like as opposed to tool watch like and I like it for that - but I am sure not everyone feels the same.
Old 27 May 2020, 11:14 PM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I guess the flat link is more a vintage nod. I love it and makes the watch look more interesting to my eyes, but get why some would not. Personally while I like the boggo speedy bracelet in itself the protruding end links always made the watch wear slightly big on me - not an issue with the pivoted flat links.

The clasp is lovely and small on this one too - albeit it lacks any sort of micro adjustment aside from 2 holes! Thankfully the links are small enough so that most can get a decent fit.

I will say that the blingy polished bits of the links are one thing I actually like. This watch is more jewellery like as opposed to tool watch like and I like it for that - but I am sure not everyone feels the same.

The protruding end links are a common complaint, But on the wrist, the links go first up and then down the sides of my wrist. So holding the speedy the end links do stick out, but when actually being worn on the wrist, the links do not give the appearance that they are sticking out. Now with a very small wrist (and mine is small at 6.5ish) perhaps 6 inch the protruding end links would pose a problem as the links would expand past the wrist and fall straight down the side of the wrist.

I do agree with you, I think the PCL’s do look good on this particular LE, it is very fitting as the watch does not have the same stoic appearance of the standard speedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 May 2020, 11:49 PM   #15
Generious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Completely agree, I like the bracelet on it.
Generious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 12:47 AM   #16
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The protruding end links are a common complaint, But on the wrist, the links go first up and then down the sides of my wrist. So holding the speedy the end links do stick out, but when actually being worn on the wrist, the links do not give the appearance that they are sticking out. Now with a very small wrist (and mine is small at 6.5ish) perhaps 6 inch the protruding end links would pose a problem as the links would expand past the wrist and fall straight down the side of the wrist.

I do agree with you, I think the PCL’s do look good on this particular LE, it is very fitting as the watch does not have the same stoic appearance of the standard speedy.

I think my issue is not the size (I have approx a 7 inch wrist) but more the shape. Mine is round rather than flat. From afar, the standard speedy looks fine, it’s just my perception of it close up and from behind that I’m not so keen on. The type of bracelet on the Apollo sorts that for me.
Old 28 May 2020, 02:06 AM   #17
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

No complaints here. Loving mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 02:14 AM   #18
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
No complaints here. Loving mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Boom - likewise my friend. The watch looks completely different in person to the pics. Enjoy
Old 28 May 2020, 05:53 AM   #19
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

An illustration of why I like the end links.

Old 28 May 2020, 08:54 AM   #20
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
you’ve really got a bee in your bonnet about it haven’t you? Just don’t buy it then....
Not at all. Did you buy one above retail?

Within the context of this thread, I think it's important to note that Omega's version of limited is no reason to be gouged by profiteers. There are plenty of them being made.
Old 28 May 2020, 05:12 PM   #21
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not at all. Did you buy one above retail?

Within the context of this thread, I think it's important to note that Omega's version of limited is no reason to be gouged by profiteers. There are plenty of them being made.
To be fair, you could say the same about many Rolex watches.

Anyway, no I bought at retail. And correct, 7000 or so is not exactly limited but it was a major anniversary of one of the most important and well known historical moments and the watches appeal will have gone further than just watch collectors. I suspect there aren’t that many left to be delivered now.

What is interesting is the pricing, as it seems for whatever reason more expensive in the states compared to the U.K. you are probably right about the price gouging esp when looking at the US price. Interestingly the reduced David SW price when converted to GBP is still approximately 10% over U.K. retail.
Old 29 May 2020, 07:07 AM   #22
Jayhawks
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Nice watch, Steve. Love the bracelet on this edition.
Jayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 11:02 PM   #23
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawks View Post
Nice watch, Steve. Love the bracelet on this edition.
Thanks - yes, I love it. It goes really well with the speedy Tuesday brown leather strap too.

There are some interesting points on here. Limited volume or not aside I really think if they’d made the subdial normal rather than buzz I think they may have had a smash hit on their hands. That is enough to put some off understandably. As it is, I still love it and you don’t notice it most of the time given it’s so blingy anyway.
Old 29 May 2020, 11:50 PM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's a great timepiece and well worth MSRP for a complete set (box, papers, warranty cards, accessories, etc). They are still selling above msrp btw. Yet really guys, is a few hundred this or that way going to sway you? If so, then perhaps realign your 'priorities'?

Agree crazy pricing like some timepieces going for 150% of msrp seems crazy, yet a couple hundred.... who cares. Besides, there's ~7% tax here in FL so would love to pay just msrp! Personaly, am expanding my contacts and 'local' dealer connections to broaden the availability of timpeices, and work with those willing to deal versus those who are not.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 05:31 AM   #25
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I think it's a great watch (love the matte dial0 but I didn't love it when I tried it on so I passed. I don't think the price will move more than a few percentage points either way. There will always be demand for a cool piece like this yet Omega produced enough to meet that demand.

I might be in the minority when is say this but I think the number produced for this model is just about right. If they did a LE of 500 or 1000 you would probably see a decent premium and then it becomes less about collecting and more about speculating. In my opinion I don't like the feeling of exclusivity that is created with certain models/brands. But again, I think I'm in the minority.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 03:12 AM   #26
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
For what it’s worth, when this watch came out I registered my interest at Omega’s website. Today I got this email. I’ve bought a few more watches since, so I’m not going to go ahead, but anyone interested can go to the website and order one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DB74121B-CD36-4B3A-8F4A-C97B08B2A369.jpeg (119.2 KB, 332 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:28 AM   #27
Pongster
"TRF" Member

^ this is probably why the grey market is selling it MSRP. now available from omega as well.

I like the moonshine gold version better.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:44 AM   #28
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

A great watch .. but I had always suspected that 6969 was never that limited..
I think the phenomenon of "Over MSRP Culture" allowed many to put it for sale at above MSRP and many others would accept it as a truth.

Coupled with Every Boutique saying "Sold out" after 1 month of its release - meaning that Omega has sold all pieces to its distribution network (Every Rolex is sold out by that definition) .. but it allowed the price to go high due to FOMO and and acceptance of new normal that "Hot watches sell above MSRP"...

the reality being that Apollo 11 models are still likely being made, and that a fair number of the 6969 have yet to be delivered...

the more availability at the AD, the less the ability for a grey to charge above MSRP...

Again, a great watch...but watches are not investments - and hopefully not too many were speculators on this one..
Old 5 June 2020, 12:54 PM   #29
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
A great watch .. but I had always suspected that 6969 was never that limited..
I think the phenomenon of "Over MSRP Culture" allowed many to put it for sale at above MSRP and many others would accept it as a truth.

Coupled with Every Boutique saying "Sold out" after 1 month of its release - meaning that Omega has sold all pieces to its distribution network (Every Rolex is sold out by that definition) .. but it allowed the price to go high due to FOMO and and acceptance of new normal that "Hot watches sell above MSRP"...

the reality being that Apollo 11 models are still likely being made, and that a fair number of the 6969 have yet to be delivered...

the more availability at the AD, the less the ability for a grey to charge above MSRP...

Again, a great watch...but watches are not investments - and hopefully not too many were speculators on this one..
Thought the same, 6969 is alot of watches for a limited edition. Doesn't surprise me they still have watches available. I wonder what other sold out watches will show available on the Omega website!
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 08:01 PM   #30
glamorama
"TRF" Member

I actually never noticed the 11 at 11 o'clock until now. Nice little Easter egg.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote