The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 May 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
jands8916

Breitling v Rolex?

Alright, we all know that Rolex and Breitling both produce great watches that are respected by aviators. Most of the big jet captains I meet as part of my career wear either (with most tending to sport GMTs).http://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

How do you think Breitling and Rolex compete at every level? Breitling seems to be sold everywhere and are not as exclusive, which to me cheapens the brand. In addition, their product line is all over the map, like TAG.

Your thoughts?
jands8916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 05:37 PM   #2
applebook
"TRF" Member

Breitling, IMO, is below Rolex and OMEGA when it comes to movements, history, and iconic designs.
Old 11 May 2008, 07:57 PM   #3
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Breitling actually tests every movement they make, not just a sampling of them. I find them #3, with Rolex being #2 and Panerai being #1.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 08:22 AM   #4
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
rolex ofcourse is more historical, with omega also in the line. IMHO, the problem with breitling is that where rolex and omega make sport as well as dress watches, breitling makes ALL chunky, tool watches, with the one exception of the new flying B among its LARGE collection of models. its a very 'functional' looknig watch that is treasured very well too :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
rolex ofcourse is more historical, with omega also in the line. IMHO, the problem with breitling is that where rolex and omega make sport as well as dress watches, breitling makes ALL chunky, tool watches, with the one exception of the new flying B among its LARGE collection of models. its a very 'functional' looknig watch that is treasured very well too :)
Yeah, all it boils down to in the end is personal prefrence. Which ever brand make the owner most happy will be their number 1 brand indeed. Breitling is amazing and I used to love the "All in one watch" but prefer balance. My SeaMaster or a Rolex Oyster are ideal for any setting. Not saying I wouldn't wear a Breitling but you know.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 11:25 AM   #6
stripec30
"TRF" Member

IMO Breitling seems like a better bang-for-your-buck, where as Rolex is a better investment.
stripec30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 12:04 PM   #7
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I'm an equal opportunity watch owner, whatever makes me smile, I will own. That includes a Breitling - and I don't believe it cheapens the brand at all, if its sold at more locations than say Rolex. They just have more distribution, that's all.
Old 8 June 2008, 01:10 PM   #8
cmr
"TRF" Member

breitling makes the most robust chronos you can buy as far as i am concerned. that is what they specialize in and it shows, they are right behind rolex for my favorite watch.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2008, 09:15 AM   #9
mickiratt

I have owned several different models of Rolex's and Breitlings and never had the slightest problem with any of them. They are both great brands for what they are.

Here is my Breitling Chronomat with a graphite dial...

Regards,

Steve

mickiratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2008, 08:31 PM   #10
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Breitling, IMHO, cannot be compared to Rolex (because of it`s heritage and status), but it surely can be compared with brands such as Omega, Longines, Fortis, even maybe IWC (not including Grand Complications, of course).
I had Breitling for short time and it was amazing watch, both in the terms of quality and accuracy. It was even more accurate than my Rolex Explorer II!
All Breitling`s are COSC certified, and their quartz movement (named Superquartz), too, making it ONLY quartz in the world that has that famous certificate...

Yeah, Breitling is worth of having...
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 08:34 AM   #11
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I beleive that Breitling has overtaken Omega as a watch to want.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 09:24 AM   #12
WJGESQ
Banned

Breitling Equals Mall Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I beleive that Breitling has overtaken Omega as a watch to want.
You would just be wrong. Seriously. IMOP.

Omega's have the style, reputation, function, heritage and very broad appeal. The Seamasters and Speedmasters are highly sought after. Breitling will be a mall watch like Movado is a few years.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 09:32 AM   #13
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 10:36 AM   #14
^fai^

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
Hi Sin Nombre,

I know how you feel...

I myself don't feel good in those bling bling bracelet.
Therefore I go for this, it looks bulky but it's light.

^fai^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 11:39 AM   #15
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
I have Seamasters and a moon watch, a Colt GMT and a Chronomat ....the problem with
Omega IMHO is their service ....it stinks.....I sent in my prized speedmaster last year and
It came back with scratches on the pan bezel and braclet....I was about to have a stroke and sent it back...they replaced the bezel and buffed out the bracelet but
it took 9 weeks to get it back the first time and 7 weeks the second time.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 12:10 PM   #16
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Where else would you get a Breitling and Omega? At a shop in a mall.

I bought both my Omega and Breitlings from an AD located inside a mall.

Breitlings have style and function as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

Omega's have the style, reputation, function, heritage and very broad appeal. The Seamasters and Speedmasters are highly sought after. Breitling will be a mall watch like Movado is a few years.
Old 11 June 2008, 12:43 PM   #17
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

i would have to respectfully disagree. breitling is a aviation inspired watch and are very big in that circle of life. i live on/am part owner of a private airport and work for boeing on commercial/private jets all day, breitling has completely restored, owns and operates the only flying super connie lockheed C-121C super constellation (L-1049F) left in the world and has the only privately owned jet aerial demonstration team in the world. i don't even know one single person that owns an omega. there are no malls where i live that sell breitling what ever that means, i bought my rolex gmt2c in woodland hills mall at reed's jewelers. i can buy a omega at sam's wholesale but i have to go to moody's jewelers to get a breitling. when you enter into the world of aviation breitling has more history and heritage than any other watchmaker that i am aware of.

enjoy,

super connie,

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

it's time to kick the tires and light the fires, turn and burn baby,

http://www.dailymotion.com/el-torro-...t-team_extreme

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 05:32 PM   #18
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Breitling vs. Rolex?

Value for money: Breitling
Resale: Rolex

They both make great watches, though. So, it really depends on what your style/usage preferences are. Breitling's seem to be more innovative, though. But as far as style goes, Breitling likes making watches that make a bold statement, while Rolex is more subdued and conservative.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 05:42 PM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Breitling is Breitling.....and Rolex is Rolex; and never the twain shall meet - thank the Lord!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 06:36 PM   #20
bgp123

Breitling's are stunning, but...I was looking at buying at a Seawolf, but at 44x18mls it looked way too chunky (I'm slim-wristed). It's great to know it's water-resistant to 10,000 feet, but no good to me because I never got around to learning to swim let alone dive.
bgp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 07:09 PM   #21
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgp123 View Post
but no good to me because I never got around to learning to swim.
Well...it's not like you're living on an island surrounded by water. Oh wait...
Old 13 June 2008, 01:44 PM   #22
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

Just about every day, few times a day, I get a customer in who looks at watches, as they go through my cases of Rolex and come up to first case of Breitling, I hear this question: "How does Breitling compare to Rolex?"

Well, it doesn't. Its like comparing a Bentely Azure to a Ferrari F430. The watches have different backgrounds, different history, different style. Rolex is classic, original, one of the 3 companies in the world(besides Patek and Jaeger, correct me if im wrong) who still makes the watch completely in-house from movement to bracelet. Rolex is responsible for first wrist watch as well as frist water-proof watch. The styles really tend to NOT change with Rolex. Until recently, Rolex has had moderately sized at 34, 36, 39, and 40mm cases(for men). I really don't think I need to tell you the epic models Rolex has been making for years and years.

With Breitling, it is one of the few brands in the world that puts EVERY watch they make through COSC certification, the ONLY company in the world to do it with quartz watches. These watches are timepiece instruments. Their style is VERY different from that of Rolex. The only model that comes even remotely close to be able to compare is a Cockpit vs DateJust. Cockpit is bigger, but was actually designed specifically to compete with Rolex Datejust. It is a very simple, beautiful watch. All others, you just CAN'T compare. They also do have their historic landmarks. The Navitimer for example, the oldest chrono wrist watch in the world. It has been made practically in the same style since the 1950's. The Chrono-Matic was one of the very first, if not THE first, automatic chronographs when it was released in 1960's.

Both of these brands are incredible imo, but I just honestly cannot say one is better than the other. It is all personal preference as to which style is like by whom.

As far as someone's comment about Breitling being sold EVERYWHERE. I will have to disagree and say that Breitling is even more exclusive that Rolex. There are a lot more Rolex AD's out there than Breitling.
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 01:50 PM   #23
simbal
"TRF" Member

Well said!
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Thomas Carey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripec30 View Post
IMO Breitling seems like a better bang-for-your-buck, where as Rolex is a better investment.
I agree Rolex really holds up well typically as an investment. Especially when compared to just about any other brand. But Breitling does give you a lot of value. Especially their entry level models.

That being said I very much agree with the sentiment. That this really is like comparing apples and oranges. I have never thought of the two as catering to the same market really.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 04:45 PM   #25
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Well said, kirill!
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 04:50 PM   #26
Operator

I love Rolex and I own Breitling, I would buy no other brands just these two.
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 07:51 PM   #27
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator View Post
I love Rolex and I own Breitling, I would buy no other brands just these two.
If you love Rolex & Breitling, I'm sure you would also love many Omega models. Why limit yourself...based on your statement, I would bet you would fall in love w/ Omega and be a 3 brand kind of guy.
Old 13 June 2008, 10:24 PM   #28
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Both Rolex and Breitlings are great watches. Both have history and loyal followings. Some like Breitlings more due to more of their Tool Watch fucntions, AR coated Crystals and larger sizes. More variety with Breitling. I also like how Breitling is true to their Tool watch roots, where Rolex has become more bling bling and luxury oriented. Both Rolex and Breitling have great service for their watches and both have ruggedd movements. IMHO, Breitling is a better buy for the money (yes, Rolex has a higher resale value, but are you buying to wear or buying to flip down the road).

The Super Ocean Heritage 46 is a great looking watch!!

To me, Breitling and Omega have replaced Rolex as the higher end Tool watch that professionals would use.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 11:42 PM   #29
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Icon6 Rolex Rules!!!

ROLEX RULES!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2008, 03:10 AM   #30
Thomas Carey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
To me, Breitling and Omega have replaced Rolex as the higher end Tool watch that professionals would use.
I have to say I agree with this statement. I believe that people are not generally buying a Rolex to be used as a tool. Not that it's a bad thing.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey is offline   Reply With Quote