The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 April 2024, 10:12 PM   #3361
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Admittedly, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the new Promenade collection. The watch itself is fine... thin, time only, reuse of the Calibre SXH5, interesting dials... I'm sure it fills a niche. But it feels like more of a "filler" to the collection in my eyes. I don't this as the "climb the next mountain" watch.

For example, I think that, generally speaking, there is so much room to improve on the case functionality and case aesthetics. Most watch brands outside of DeBethune, GF, Urwerk, MB&F, etc., don't pay much attention to it.

So when you make a time-only round-case watch, you can only really compare and contrast the Promenade with other watchmakers who are making the more traditional round time-only watches. With that in mind, I don't think this moves the needle much when compared to finishing vis-a-vis RG, LF, Dufour, or even the Code 11.59, all else being equal; or the dial designs vis-a-vis Voutilainen, Rexhepi, Moser, etc.

I want to view Czapek as a leader vs a follower in the independent space. But I don't see it with this watch. Hopefully they are just rounding out the collection now and biding their time to introduce something that will push the envelope next year.

Am I off in my expectation of the brand?
Watched the video clip on the new model. I kinda liked them. I’m a bit of a czapek fanboy though. I own the collective dial and see the similarities. That dial is going to be really dynamic IRL
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #3362
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Watched the video clip on the new model. I kinda liked them. I’m a bit of a czapek fanboy though. I own the collective dial and see the similarities. That dial is going to be really dynamic IRL

I am a bit of a Czapek fanboy as well. And kudos for the collective dial. I saw it on the collective guys at W&W last year (pre release). Exceptional piece.

Just giving my honest feedback on the new model. Glad that someone likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 02:17 AM   #3363
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

The Promenade, limited edition, is a looker. However, the standard Promenade is not that interesting to me, especially at that price point. The guilloche dials are a bit underwhelming.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 04:17 AM   #3364
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

I think will have to see it in person to see the full dial effect, in pics, looks a bit flat, but in that vid can see the Soleil effect. Also looks like they are hand-guillochage.

The limited edition dial look nice with the 3d waves effect.. one thing, is the seconds slightly off center?

The two new Antarctiques,
the meteorite dial's limited 100pcs.

cy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #3365
Bug04
"TRF" Member

… still appearing Antarctique LEs … in some past discussions here, the excessive proliferation of LEs has been recognized and the justification resulted to be the previous production commitments, but now the backlog should have ended, but still LE are appearing. So this is a conscious policy of Czapek … not a good evidence for me (too many colors, too many LEs diluting the real sense of a LE)
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 07:06 AM   #3366
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy888 View Post
I think will have to see it in person to see the full dial effect, in pics, looks a bit flat, but in that vid can see the Soleil effect. Also looks like they are hand-guillochage.

The limited edition dial look nice with the 3d waves effect.. one thing, is the seconds slightly off center?

The two new Antarctiques,
the meteorite dial's limited 100pcs.

That purple dial Antarctique reminds me of the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda PF Micro-Rotor “Purple Reign” x Revolution release which I felt was executed a little better. Still nice watches but nothing I’m running to buy.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 07:09 AM   #3367
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Well well well. In the SXH5 they removed the bridge in the middle with the four internal angles. Wasn’t that exactly what set this movement apart at this pricepoint. Feels like corner cutting.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:15 AM   #3368
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Well well well. In the SXH5 they removed the bridge in the middle with the four internal angles. Wasn’t that exactly what set this movement apart at this pricepoint. Feels like corner cutting.
I assume they had to for the small seconds, but it does leave an empty space.

cy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 09:09 AM   #3369
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Just wtd to see the earlier version next to those on screen.

1k.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 01:30 PM   #3370
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Id be interested to see the enamel promenade in person but the regular production reminds me of the Gauthier C.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 04:23 AM   #3371
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug04 View Post
… still appearing Antarctique LEs … in some past discussions here, the excessive proliferation of LEs has been recognized and the justification resulted to be the previous production commitments, but now the backlog should have ended, but still LE are appearing. So this is a conscious policy of Czapek … not a good evidence for me (too many colors, too many LEs diluting the real sense of a LE)
That is the reason I returned my LE Salmon 40.5 when I finally got hold of it. This reaffirmed my decision.

Some thoughts on the “Promenade”: bland, plain forgettable.

They lost me as a fan and customer.
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:44 PM   #3372
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

"but now the backlog should have ended,"

The demand is still very high, the backlog is still more than one year's production.

When you are a small brand with small production, and you make nice watches and have strong orders, the backlog continues.

Any order placed today will ship mid to late 2025, all the novelties are scheduled for 2025, not 2024, except the gold Antarctiques, which we have built and paid for cases and bracelets, and they are almost ready to go (waiting on dials).

So a few 100 piece LE's (water drop, purple antarctique, green meteorite) make sense to us.

We love you guys and are always glad for your opinions.
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 06:24 PM   #3373
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mike, I love Czapek and I think its products are really a wave of quality and freshness in a market that really needs it.
Let me elaborate further my opinion, which I share knowing that Czapek cares of its fans comments: when mentioning backlog, I am referring to previous commitments taken earlier, around covid / post covid phase, with suppliers or dealers for LEs. I may be wrong but from past discussions here, I understood that Czapek realized that an excessive number of SE / LE / dial colors etc were being pumped in the mkt, and that this was going to stop in 2-3 years (therefore today) once the backlog of such planned commitments empties, in 2-3 years.

This is different from the backlog of “continuative production” orders, which as you say is still present and I would say is deserved being a signal of appreciation from the market.

What I do not understand is, why all these SE, LE, dial colors, etc? My opinion is that this has a “dilutive” effect on the real sense of a LE and artificially evokes an idea of “fashion” instead of luxury.

Of course this is only sharing of opinion on a reality like Czapek that is offering great and high quality products. Nothing is perfect, so no maison or independent watchmaker is, but when near to perfection, any detail may make the difference.

I hope this clarifies and I look forward for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
"but now the backlog should have ended,"

The demand is still very high, the backlog is still more than one year's production.

When you are a small brand with small production, and you make nice watches and have strong orders, the backlog continues.

Any order placed today will ship mid to late 2025, all the novelties are scheduled for 2025, not 2024, except the gold Antarctiques, which we have built and paid for cases and bracelets, and they are almost ready to go (waiting on dials).

So a few 100 piece LE's (water drop, purple antarctique, green meteorite) make sense to us.

We love you guys and are always glad for your opinions.
Old 12 April 2024, 10:01 PM   #3374
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Simply because it’s an easier way to bring in revenue. An LE is an easier sell. It’s a common strategy in watches just look at the likes of Blancpain or omega etc.
Old 13 April 2024, 12:38 AM   #3375
corky
"TRF" Member

The problem with Companies that are trying to build a brand in the modern world is that they need to feed the Gram/Utube/forum monster or they lose visibility,so they need new product to keep the buzz, so ergo LE…..but the cost is integrity, or perceived integrity.
It Is a delicate balancing act imho

My question is, why, when these pieces are effectively ‘made to order’ are they limited in no?Is it to induce FOMO and thus drive orders?
corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 12:55 AM   #3376
Bug04
"TRF" Member

That’s exactly the point. In my opinion, this is a short term strategy, increasing revenues in the immediate but risking to dilute “brand equity” in the long term. Useless to say, Czapek has surely assessed all the aspects of their LE strategy.

Referring to your interesting example of BP or Omega, just as a short OT, I would say that regardless the likes gathered from public (mainly the swatch clients) I would not have been happy about, for example, the release of official plastic copies (and, in the case of Omega, almost identical for not experienced eyes) of premium watches, to increase Group’s short term revenues and relaunch Swatch brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Simply because it’s an easier way to bring in revenue. An LE is an easier sell. It’s a common strategy in watches just look at the likes of Blancpain or omega etc.
Old 13 April 2024, 01:43 AM   #3377
magicman
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if there is a difference between a limited edition of 100 pieces, or a limited production model that is made for a year or two and then discontinued (not labeled LE, but they make the same 100 pieces). Some brands do the former (Lange), and some do the latter (Patek, Rolex).

I see advantages and disadvantages for each, so I'm not sure what is the "right" approach. It is a little dilutional to have so many LEs, but on the other hand if they were limited production then some people may get their hopes up and then dashed when the model is discontinued in a year or two (see: Le Mans Daytona).
magicman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 04:34 AM   #3378
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

I understand your point.

The fact is, in the market, clients love to have an LE. "There are only xx of these!"

When we contract with a supplier to make, for example, a green meteorite dial, we must both agree that they will make a certain number of those dials. So if we're getting 100 dials (plus some extras for SAV) it makes sense to make those 100 into an LE.

Makes sense because frankly LE's sell faster than non LE's. The customer feels some urgency to buy before they're gone.

Financially, when we commit to 100 special dials at whatever $$$ each dial costs, we want to be assured that we can sell them all, so that we don't have 50 meteorite dials sitting in a drawer somewhere hoping for orders. This is the brutal reality of things.

We do keep most Antarctiques as non LE's.
Old 13 April 2024, 04:38 AM   #3379
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
In the SXH5 they removed the bridge in the middle with the four internal angles.
THe center bridge is for the indirect center seconds. The Promenade uses a small second hand at 5, this bridge is not necessary.

I talked with Xavier about this at Watches & Wonders today.

He laughed and said, "We anticipated that comment, and on request, we can do a special engraving on the space in the middle. Each one has to be unique, we won't do the same engraving twice."
Old 13 April 2024, 06:15 AM   #3380
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
THe center bridge is for the indirect center seconds. The Promenade uses a small second hand at 5, this bridge is not necessary.

I talked with Xavier about this at Watches & Wonders today.

He laughed and said, "We anticipated that comment, and on request, we can do a special engraving on the space in the middle. Each one has to be unique, we won't do the same engraving twice."

That is a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 06:49 AM   #3381
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mike for the transparent reply

Quote:
I understand your point.

The fact is, in the market, clients love to have an LE. "There are only xx of these!"

When we contract with a supplier to make, for example, a green meteorite dial, we must both agree that they will make a certain number of those dials. So if we're getting 100 dials (plus some extras for SAV) it makes sense to make those 100 into an LE.

Makes sense because frankly LE's sell faster than non LE's. The customer feels some urgency to buy before they're gone.

Financially, when we commit to 100 special dials at whatever $$$ each dial costs, we want to be assured that we can sell them all, so that we don't have 50 meteorite dials sitting in a drawer somewhere hoping for orders. This is the brutal reality of things.

We do keep most Antarctiques as non LE's.
Old 17 April 2024, 01:50 AM   #3382
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

When did the Antarctique switch to the new bracelet with the micro adjustments? For those who has that bracelet, how does it feel/look? I thought it creates a gap in the bracelet when open. Doesn’t that look weird? Anyone who can share a picture, that would be great.
Old 17 April 2024, 02:33 AM   #3383
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hey all, curious if anyone here has hands on experience with the California Dreamin’ model? I’m considering it but can’t view in person prior to order. Any opinions on this model?

Photo from internet:
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 02:49 AM   #3384
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Hey all, curious if anyone here has hands on experience with the California Dreamin’ model? I’m considering it but can’t view in person prior to order. Any opinions on this model?

Photo from internet:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a mix of Arabic and Romal numerals on a dial.
Old 17 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #3385
seastu
"TRF" Member

I have the California Dream'n blue dial. It's awesome!
seastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #3386
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #3387
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nice! I love this model, especially with the sapphire disks. How does it wear?
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:39 AM   #3388
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Nice! I love this model, especially with the sapphire disks. How does it wear?

It’s AMAZING - I never really considered this watch thinking it was too large for my 6.6. I was at an AD and gave it a casual try. Then fell
In LOVE. Who knew I needed a split seconds chrono lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #3389
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

Real nice.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #3390
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have the first edition double split but likely going to sell mine as I am just not wearing it to justify keeping. I am wearing my other Czapek more often
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote