The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2023, 05:41 AM   #91
EzraPound
"TRF" Member

A note regarding the "Fantastic Story" The Forgery that Saved Lives letter writer...Edward W. Porter (1908-1992) (Royal Artillery) pictured below with the Rolex advertisement...I have only included a snippet from the profile relating to Rolex from the UK website Roll of Honour...

In June 1944, along with 729 other prisoners, Edward was being transported by the Japanese ship "Harugiku Maru", from Belewan to Pakanbaroe, Sumatra, to work on building a railway, through swamps and jungle, across Sumatra. En route on the 26th June, the unmarked ship was torpedoed by a British submarine, HMS Truculent, completely unaware of the human cargo. Edward was trapped by a beam that fell across his legs, but a second torpedo blew the ship further apart and he found himself outside in the sea, where he was rescued by a North Korean guard who was on a piece of wreckage. They were picked up by another Japanese ship and due to his leg injuries, Edward eventually ended up in Singapore's Changi Jail, rather than the terrible life threatening conditions of the Pakanbaroe railway.

It was in Changi that he became friends with Russell Braddon, who wrote the book "The Naked Island" and Ronald Searle, who did the illustrations for the book. Edward is mentioned in the book (not by name) as the individual who skillfully re-engraved pens and watches so that the Japanese believed them to be Parker pens and Rolex watches. Rather than just confiscate them, these world renowned products had to be purchased and the money raised was used to buy medical supplies stolen and smuggled into the Jail by local Malays. (As an aside, after the war, Edward was contacted by Rolex, via the War Office, who then ran a worldwide advertising campaign on his story and how the Japanese valued the Rolex trademark). In April 1945 he was moved to Adam Road POW Camp and it was from here he was liberated on 19 September 1945.

I have enclosed the relevant (Rolex) pages from Braddon's 1953 book "The Naked Island".

EzraPound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 06:16 AM   #92
Adamj79
Banned

Watch: Rolex
The vintage watch ads would have appeared in high end lifestyle magazines so also try old interior design or art magazines.
Adamj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 06:49 AM   #93
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I think people had longer attention spans in those days.
These were probably a source of entertainment in those days.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2023, 08:01 AM   #94
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Not to be that guy... Ok I'll be that guy: Just google for it. Hundreds of examples pop up.

Too funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 05:45 AM   #95
conmcn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraPound View Post
Kudos conmcn...nice job in finding all the Eric Fraser Rolex "Fantastic Story" advertisements...a nice addition to your trove would be the little book "The Graphic Work of Eric Fraser" by Alec Davis (1974/1985); many of the elements of the Rolex advertisements can be seen in Fraser's other work and I think you would enjoy owning the book.

Further kudos on the two hard to find advertisements in The Economist...these are the only two advertisements not found in Graphis Magazine.

Thanks EzraPound, I bought a copy of the Alec Davis book a while ago and am very glad I did. I have just bought a tatty copy of The Naked Island from eBay as it sounds like an interesting read and I also like the work of Ronald Searle. Thank you for the back story and making me aware of the book.

On another note the Eric Fraser Everest advert featured three times in Punch during 1954. The dates are 13th October, 17th November and 1st December. The illustration is a beautiful example of his skill and is still used on the Rolex website today.
conmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:09 PM   #96
OliverRolex
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Looking for the Che Guevara Rolex Ads

Anyone know where they appeared? Many thanks, friends.
OliverRolex is offline   Reply With Quote