The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2019, 08:22 AM   #1
JuliusT
"TRF" Member

10 yr. unworn OP - need servicing? Inherited

Hi folks!

Just got engaged to my gf 2 weeks ago and her family would like to give me her late grandfather’s OP (not sure if exact model, but silver with a 3/6/9 dial). Apparently her grandpa had it for ~10 years but could never bring himself to wear it so it was kept in a safe this whole time :(

So, it’s in unworn condition but I’m worried about the lubrication and seal degradation. Am I overthinking this? Do I need servicing? I saw the prices online and it’s quite pricey ~800-1,000 USD.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

P.s.

Tried searching the forums for an answer but couldn’t find a similar thread.
JuliusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:28 AM   #2
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
First of all, congratulations on your engagement!

Though others more knowledgeable than I will surely chime in, I would say take it to get pressure tested as a first step. If it passes, wear it and see how it goes! If it doesn't keep time the way it should or behaves otherwise strangely, then you should go ahead and send it in for service. $800-1000 sounds like a lot, but if needed it's well worth it.
Old 16 March 2019, 08:33 AM   #3
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Service is part of ownership. I would get is serviced with no polish.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

Pressure test good suggestion. Also if they have timing machine (which a shop that can do pressure test should also have this machine) they can put the watch on it and quickly tell you if the watch is gaining or losing significant time (which means it needs service), amplitude, etc. Basically the can run diagnostics on it and they can tell pretty quick from just that.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:36 AM   #5
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I would get it serviced at RSC if you planned to wear it. You have been entrusted with a family heirloom $800 is a small price to pay for a peace of mind on an item of such significant sentimental value. You wouldn’t want to find moisture ingress and pay a much higher price to have it repaired. I paid $500 to restore my grandfathers Citizen to pass it on to my son. Obviously the cost of restoration far outstripped the monetary value of the watch.
Congratulations on your engagement and enjoy wearing the watch.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 08:38 AM   #6
JuliusT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwenger View Post
First of all, congratulations on your engagement!

Though others more knowledgeable than I will surely chime in, I would say take it to get pressure tested as a first step. If it passes, wear it and see how it goes! If it doesn't keep time the way it should or behaves otherwise strangely, then you should go ahead and send it in for service. $800-1000 sounds like a lot, but if needed it's well worth it.
Thank you kind sir! Would you happen to know how the pressure test process goes? Do I just walk into any AD and ask for a pressure test? Are they able to do it on the spot or I’ll need to leave it there + any idea how much they charge?
Old 16 March 2019, 08:39 AM   #7
JuliusT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Service is part of ownership. I would get is serviced with no polish.
Thanks! Any idea how much that costs, I’m assuming it’s cheaper without the polish :)
Old 16 March 2019, 08:46 AM   #8
JuliusT
"TRF" Member

Thanks Madhatter and jct! I’m definitely convinced to send it in for servicing at the NYC RSC. Appreciate the kind words and advice everyone :)
Old 16 March 2019, 08:48 AM   #9
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusT View Post
Thank you kind sir! Would you happen to know how the pressure test process goes? Do I just walk into any AD and ask for a pressure test? Are they able to do it on the spot or I’ll need to leave it there + any idea how much they charge?
It'll probably depend on what AD you go to, who you talk to, what day it is, what the weather's like...you feel me? You'll probably have to pay a small fee, I think I've heard other people say $25-50 (don't quote me on that). I would pick an AD, tell them about the watch and your story, everyone likes a nice story, and ask if they would be so kind as to pressure test the piece for you. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes

But as others have said above, the safest route is a full service. Then you've got full peace of mind and 2 years of warranty to go with it!
Old 16 March 2019, 10:22 AM   #10
doozyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusT View Post
Thanks! Any idea how much that costs, I’m assuming it’s cheaper without the polish :)
Price is the same. Get it polished which would probably be a light polish if it’s never been worn. It’s a OP not a vintage sub.
doozyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 10:39 AM   #11
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Just wear the thing..if it runs funky..send it in for service..at TX Rolex service center..not NY...
Remember..once they go inside..things can happen..that you don't want to happen..
Why take the chance if it runs fine..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Congrats on the engagement!

And on being entrusted with a family treasure. Wind it 30 times, screw the crown back in, shake it a bit and wear it. Check the timing using an App for your smart phone. If it keeps time, enjoy it a couple years and then have it serviced. Seals should be fine. When you are out, sometime, consider stopping In a Rolex shop. A pressure test to 3 atmospheres (100 meters) is something a watch shop can do in 5 minutes and a Rolex shop should do it for free, if you ask nicely. I do it all the time at my friends shop. It’s simple. That’s not a full pressure test, but I suspect you are showering with it and not diving at 300 meters.

If it is out of time by 8-10 seconds per day, have it serviced. I had the Dallas Rolex service center service my Submariner, from 2005. It was time to do it.

Most of us have them serviced at 5-7 years. They can go longer. Especially if they have been sitting. Oil evaporates, even from a sealed case. Odds are in your favor to wear it and check the time keeping. I bet it’s fine. If you do, please report back so we can learn the outcome.

Nothing will be horribly damaged by wearing it to check timing. If it needs oil, it won’t keep good time and you will know to have it serviced.

These are my opinions, and others’ will vary.
Old 16 March 2019, 12:35 PM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it's running well, enjoy it for a couple of years, no hurry.
Old 16 March 2019, 01:13 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If it's running well, enjoy it for a couple of years, no hurry.
This.

Wear it until it breaks.

A service is $650. A full movement rebuild is $800 at rsc. Less at indy.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 01:36 PM   #15
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I just got a 31 year old datejust from my father that wasn’t touched for 20 years.

I brought it to my local AD to have it pressure tested and opened up for any obvious issues. They came back to me and said don’t touch it.

I would bring it to a reputable dealer to have them check it out, but as long as it’s keeping time and passes the pressure test; DONT TOUCH IT!!!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 02:08 PM   #16
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozyj View Post
Price is the same. Get it polished which would probably be a light polish if it’s never been worn. It’s a OP not a vintage sub.
That's not good advice.

Why would an unworn watch need to be "polished?"

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 09:52 PM   #17
doozyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
That's not good advice.

Why would an unworn watch need to be "polished?"
Unworn doesn’t mean perfect etc. Someone said not to polish it as if it would devalue it. If it needs to be serviced for some reason and if it has light marring scratches etc, have it lightly polished if needed. I’ve seen “unworn” watches at ADs gave marks, marring or scratches.
doozyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 10:37 PM   #18
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I'm with the "pressure test then wear" crowd. Don't fix it if it ain't broke
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 10:47 PM   #19
boatbasin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600,TTDJ,PTYM
Send it in to NY RSC for lubrication and seals. The seals will degrade over time. More important is the verification, many watches inherited from Grandparents/Uncles etc. turn out to be fake. Even family heirlooms in stored in a safe for years. A full service is a very polite way of insuring authenticity without ruffling anyone's feathers.
boatbasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 11:18 PM   #20
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats on your engagement, since you are in nyc drop by rsc and get it checked out.
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote