The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 November 2014, 05:05 AM   #1
ikeo1
"TRF" Member

16750 opinions

I'm looking at two different GMT Masters one from 1980 matte dial vs a 1989 Version in better overall condition for roughly the same price. I'm kinda torn between the two.

Which do you guys think is the better buy and why? The 1980's version doesn't look bad

Here are a couple of pics:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415819055.638782.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415819072.757376.jpg

The 1989 version is practically new. Appreciate any insight or advice.
ikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

"Practically new" vs. "doesn't look bad" sounds like you may have answered your own question... BTW, luminova service dials on both?
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 05:33 AM   #3
ikeo1
"TRF" Member

16750 opinions

Thanks.. I was actually wondering about that.. The dial and the hands don't have the usual patina I'm used to seeing on these models.. Does anything else look off? Both pics are of the 80's GMT

And I didn't answer my question just yet, still going back and forth. I don't mind a little used if it makes sense, but my judgement might not be as keen as some of the more experienced people here.
Old 13 November 2014, 05:39 AM   #4
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Between the two I would choose the 89 due to the fact that the 80 has a service dial. Personally I wouldnt get either one n wait for a matte dial in nice condition. They r out there be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 06:39 AM   #5
ikeo1
"TRF" Member

16750 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Between the two I would choose the 89 due to the fact that the 80 has a service dial. Personally I wouldnt get either one n wait for a matte dial in nice condition. They r out there be patient.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll pass on the current set. Only thing is nice ones usually go in the 6.5k-7.5k and I have an even tougher time vs. new at that price point..

I didn't realize that was a service dial or the line hands
Old 13 November 2014, 06:41 AM   #6
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
I can't tell but the insert appears wrong. The 2s have that over extended loop looking thing going on. Maybe the angle of the pic def a luminova service dial on a 16750 is a no go for me
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 07:48 AM   #7
EEParker
"TRF" Member

Would be nice to see the 1989 version, but to me they are very different watches. Matte dial has a different look, obviously, and the 1989 should have white gold surrounds around the plots. Most people prefer one or the other, so you should decide which side you fall on with that.

In LA you can get some good looking 1675/16750s usually at Wanna Buy a Watch on Melrose. And there are plenty of good options here on TRF or through sellers like HQ Milton.

I'd stay away from one with a re-done dial.
EEParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 08:15 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Here is what you have based on my observations. Both have aftermarket inserts, which isn't a major deal breaker since inserts are easy to source.

Both matte dials are service dials which were not used on 16750s during the 1980s. The service dials for 16750s would have gold surround marker service dials. The dials in the photos appear to be GMT 1675 service dials. Additionally, 1989 is too late for a GMT 16750.

I think both watches might be 1675 GMTs wearing service dials. Would the OP please list the serial numbers to properly date the watches.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 08:23 AM   #9
ikeo1
"TRF" Member

Sorry guys both pics above are of the same watch.. I understand the last year of the 16750 was in 1988 which this might as well just sold in 89.

Thanks for the hint at Melrose.

This is the other one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415830937.697332.jpg
Old 13 November 2014, 09:43 AM   #10
omitohud
"TRF" Member

16750 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeo1 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll pass on the current set. Only thing is nice ones usually go in the 6.5k-7.5k and I have an even tougher time vs. new at that price point..

I didn't realize that was a service dial or the line hands

I stand by my original post. The 89 is as good as it gets. If you like it n the price is right, I don't think u can go wrong. But I prefer older ones with no gold surround.

Btw, is that the actual picture of the 89 watch? The crown seems to "sit" on top of the crown guards.

omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 10:05 AM   #11
ikeo1
"TRF" Member

Supposedly it's a picture of the same one... Price is decent.. I'll keep hunting for now.. Thank you all for ur input