The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 July 2020, 11:08 AM   #1
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Buckley Dial Coronet issue?

Hello all,

I am looking at a 16014 SS Datejust with a white Buckley dial and I was close to purchasing it until I noticed that the coronet at 12 o'clock was in gold instead of the usual white gold/silver in color.

A quick search on the internet uncovered some examples of SS 16014 with the gold coronet. However the vast majority of gold coronet is seen on two-tone Datejusts or YG versions.

Does this mean that this dial was switched from another watch like the two tone version? Or are there examples of white Buckley dials original to the SS models of Datejusts like the 16014 just rarer?

If it was switched, should I be concerned? How would it impact the authenticity of the watch if a dial is swapped?

Thank you for your time guiding this amateur at vintage watch collecting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200718_152535.jpg (212.8 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by spacemanglam; 19 July 2020 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Added picture for reference
spacemanglam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 12:37 PM   #2
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Any help please? It's much appreciated. Cheers!
Old 22 July 2020, 12:14 AM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Matters not.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 01:04 AM   #4
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Wonderful!! Thank you very much! Looking forward to show you mine(if you're interested)!
Old 22 July 2020, 06:08 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If I recall correctly, the 5 digit SS DJ’s with Buckley dials had the WG coronet.

The TT’s & YG DJ’s had Buckley dials with YG coronet.

If RSC receives it, they’ll let you know if it was a dial swap that doesn’t meet the model’s consistency standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 06:18 AM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Can someone tell me what a Buckley dial is please?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 07:37 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The dials have painted Roman numerals as opposed to applied numbers/batons. They are named after dealer John Buckley who first drew attention to them.
Old 22 July 2020, 08:12 AM   #8
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If I recall correctly, the 5 digit SS DJ’s with Buckley dials had the WG coronet.

The TT’s & YG DJ’s had Buckley dials with YG coronet.

If RSC receives it, they’ll let you know if it was a dial swap that doesn’t meet the model’s consistency standard.

Oh no.. that's concerning.. so RSC doesn't accept the watches just because there was a swap even if the dial is original Rolex?
Old 22 July 2020, 08:30 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanglam View Post
Oh no.. that's concerning.. so RSC doesn't accept the watches just because there was a swap even if the dial is original Rolex?

Certain dials (even though genuine) are not considered original livery for certain models. Improper dial swaps will create a problem for the owner who sends the watch to the RSC for service.

For example, an ice blue diamond dial that fits on the Platinum Daytona would be considered improper on a SS Daytona because it was never in the available dial choices for the SS Daytona model.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 08:44 AM   #10
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Okay gotcha. I understand. After your reply I found the following thread on this forum

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...4#post10766094

From the thread it seems like Rolex would still service it but they will make a note of it. Is this accurate?
Old 22 July 2020, 09:51 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanglam View Post
. . .
From the thread it seems like Rolex would still service it but they will make a note of it. Is this accurate?
Generally, Rolex will service older watches that have quite a few changes as Dealers were much more lenient in the past, and swapped parts to satisfy customers.

It was quite common for SS models to get gold crowns and bezels to make them into two tones, as well as dial changing.

Some Service Centers are less flexible than others.
Old 22 July 2020, 10:45 AM   #12
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Generally, Rolex will service older watches that have quite a few changes as Dealers were much more lenient in the past, and swapped parts to satisfy customers.

It was quite common for SS models to get gold crowns and bezels to make them into two tones, as well as dial changing.

Some Service Centers are less flexible than others.
Thank you so much! That puts my mind at ease. I was thinking for a 38 year old watch it would be so difficult to find an all original one as it was quite common back then to customize Datejusts. Was worried about getting it after knowing it was swapped some time during its lifetime for the watch I'm looking at.

Now I just got to make sure the dial is original. Since it was swapped, one just never know..

Thanks again for your reply!
[/SIZE]
Old 22 July 2020, 11:10 AM   #13
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Rolex' concern is all parts be original Rolex. The color of the coronet on your original Rolex dial has never been a concern on a watch from an era that allowed extensive parts replacement.

Rolex will require a modification to a case like an incorrect bezel to be corrected during a service but any part considered a consumable is acceptable as long as it's original Rolex. I had a 1969 1600 DJ serviced which turned out to have a Tudor Oyster bracelet, they made note of it but did not get their panties in a twist.

It's apparently impossible to make new collectors understand how loose it was in the 60s/70s and early 80s. We've lost so much of the charm of collecting these old soldiers because of this originality idiocy. Study the damn things, it's fun. :)
Old 22 July 2020, 04:01 PM   #14
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The dials have painted Roman numerals as opposed to applied numbers/batons. They are named after dealer John Buckley who first drew attention to them.

Thank you.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 06:06 PM   #15
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Rolex' concern is all parts be original Rolex. The color of the coronet on your original Rolex dial has never been a concern on a watch from an era that allowed extensive parts replacement.

Rolex will require a modification to a case like an incorrect bezel to be corrected during a service but any part considered a consumable is acceptable as long as it's original Rolex. I had a 1969 1600 DJ serviced which turned out to have a Tudor Oyster bracelet, they made note of it but did not get their panties in a twist.

It's apparently impossible to make new collectors understand how loose it was in the 60s/70s and early 80s. We've lost so much of the charm of collecting these old soldiers because of this originality idiocy. Study the damn things, it's fun. :)
Great to know! So is a dial considered like a consumable that they would force to correct? I'm thinking they would be more laxed for an older watch where parts may not be made anymore.

And I totally agree! Love studying these things starting from the history, then the individual details like dials, bezels, bracelets.. wonderful journey. My wife says I don't even know her that well, but what does she know?
Old 22 July 2020, 08:10 PM   #16
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

You need to hear it three times?
Old 22 July 2020, 08:18 PM   #17
spacemanglam
"TRF" Member

Sorry, maybe my English is not good and may have been confused by some of the phrasing. I think I understand. Cheers!