The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #2281
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I just donít believe this number, I believe you heard it but I canít believe a first-world nation like the UK would suffer this much. Modern medicine has eliminated Polio, TB, even cured some forms of cancer. I donít believe with all the resources and knowledge at our disposal any modern country would suffer this much from an influenza. If this were some laboratory-created super microbe (think of the movie ďI am LegendĒ) maybe, but I honestly feel with public measures and medicinal experts working around the clock it will not get this bad.
Yet the people who actually have an understanding of virology believe these numbers. How you "honestly feel" is not helpful.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:35 AM   #2282
TheVTCGuy
2022 Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 18,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Ok, do you believe this?:



https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1543 cases and 55 deaths.

Given the UK policy on this it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to have tens of millions of cases and it follows that it is perfectly reasonable to expect hundreds of thousands of deaths. Let's hope a vaccine is developed before that happens, there is promising work being done in that direction.

Exactly my point, I believe a cure(?) vaccine(?) something will intercede and stop this from happening.

Call me the eternal optimist
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:36 AM   #2283
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Someone PMíd me bringing up the Spanish Flu in 1915 which killed hundreds of thousands. That was 1915, we have progressed a great deal in medicine in the last 100 years.

Not really. Influenza vaccine only conferred immunity to 40% of those who took it last year and the year before that. It was 19% effective in 2014-15 season.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:36 AM   #2284
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2022 Patron
 
Old Expat Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Adam
Location: Hong Kong
Watch: SEIKO
Posts: 24,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
And I was there !!!
I knew I shouldn't have bothered.
__________________
_______________________

instagram.com/oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:37 AM   #2285
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Exactly my point, I believe a cure(?) vaccine(?) something will intercede and stop this from happening.

Call me the eternal optimist
Can I call you someone offering opinions when he shouldn't be?
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:38 AM   #2286
TheVTCGuy
2022 Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 18,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Relojes View Post
Can I call you someone offering opinions when he shouldn't be?
No.
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:41 AM   #2287
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Ok, do you believe this?:



https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1543 cases and 55 deaths.

Given the UK policy on this it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to have tens of millions of cases and it follows that it is perfectly reasonable to expect hundreds of thousands of deaths. Let's hope a vaccine is developed before that happens, there is promising work being done in that direction.
This shows a 3.9% mortality, nearly 40 times worse than the seasonal flu.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:46 AM   #2288
77T
2022 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 36,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
And I was there !!!


Yes I found that picture of you NOT wearing your mask and being denied access to mass transit system...



But seriously, the irony is that picture was taken in Seattle, and they knew 100 years ago that masks thwarted community flu spread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:47 AM   #2289
mannyv11
"TRF" Member
 
mannyv11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Manny
Location: MA
Watch: Rolex, Pam, AP
Posts: 4,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I just donít believe this number, I believe you heard it but I canít believe a first-world nation like the UK would suffer this much. Modern medicine has eliminated Polio, TB, even cured some forms of cancer. I donít believe with all the resources and knowledge at our disposal any modern country would suffer this much from an influenza. If this were some laboratory-created super microbe (think of the movie ďI am LegendĒ) maybe, but I honestly feel with public measures and medicinal experts working around the clock it will not get this bad.
Just because you donít believe it doesnít make it not a real number.
mannyv11 is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:48 AM   #2290
Db7566
"TRF" Member
 
Db7566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 372
Or is the irony that 100 years later we wear masks in public thinking it will help when it won't?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Db7566 is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:49 AM   #2291
TheVTCGuy
2022 Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 18,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Just because you donít believe it doesnít make it not a real number.
True, it could reach this bad or even worse, I just think medical science will cut this off.

Shouldnít everyone hope Iím right?
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:51 AM   #2292
TheVTCGuy
2022 Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 18,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db7566 View Post
Or is the irony that 100 years later we wear masks in public thinking it will help when it won't?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Spot on!!!! I shake my head at people wearing a $.30 Home Depot dust mask thinking it will filter a virus.
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:51 AM   #2293
superdog
2022 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 22,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
True, it could reach this bad or even worse, I just think medical science will cut this off.

Shouldnít everyone hope Iím right?
I do.

I also think there is a lot of misinformation out there.

If that number were real, it would be plastered all over every news channel. They would eat that up.
__________________
If happiness is a state of mind, why look anywhere else for it?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:53 AM   #2294
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
No.
Irresponsible? It's not optimism to run past firefighters into a burning building to say construction has progressed a lot since the shirt factory fire of 1911 and you believe theyíre going to be fine. Itís kind of what youíre doing.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:56 AM   #2295
77T
2022 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 36,944
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db7566 View Post
Or is the irony that 100 years later we wear masks in public thinking it will help when it won't?

I agree surgical masks on healthy people have little protection. But on those who are walking around with coronavirus and sneezing/coughing, it helps by stopping their role in community transfer.

Back in 1918, they had no tests to identify non-symptomatic H1N1 carriers. Thus the order for everyone to wear one.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #2296
gnuyork
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Let's all take a time out and watch Arnold and his donkeys give us a pep talk.

I love it!

Wish my donkeys were as well behaved.

The video is about half way down the page.

Stay safe.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/enter...cli/index.html
Ha ha, those donkeys are adorable
gnuyork is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #2297
daveathall
2022 Pledge Member
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Real Name: Dave
Location: England.
Watch: Various
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I do.

I also think there is a lot of misinformation out there.

If that number were real, it would be plastered all over every news channel. They would eat that up.
It was first reported on Sky news (UK) a couple of hours ago, the report said that without full quarantine until a vaccine was found the death rate (in a good scenario) would be a quarter of a million. The first paper I found for tomorrow, goes 10K higher. (bottom right headline).

__________________
KINDEST REGARDS

DAVE


daveathall is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #2298
TheVTCGuy
2022 Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 18,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Relojes View Post
Irresponsible? It's not optimism to run past firefighters into a burning building to say construction has progressed a lot since the shirt factory fire of 1911 and you believe they’re going to be fine. It’s kind of what you’re doing.
Uhm yeah... yeah great analogy.

Why not use your whopping 50 posts as a member here to express your entitled opinion respectfully. Mine is medical science will (somehow) cut this off before so many people die, how foolish of me to hope for the best. You don’t think so? You believe hundreds of thousands will perish? A reasonable and potentially correct opinion.
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #2299
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Spot on!!!! I shake my head at people wearing a $.30 Home Depot dust mask thinking it will filter a virus.
While you shake your head, they are reducing the possibility that they spread it to others, even though it doesn't protect them. It's as silly as covering your cough.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #2300
77T
2022 Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 36,944
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Relojes View Post
Irresponsible? It's not optimism to run past firefighters into a burning building to say construction has progressed a lot since the shirt factory fire of 1911 and you believe theyíre going to be fine. Itís kind of what youíre doing.


May I suggest reading the many admonitions of the Mods earlier in this thread to refrain from personalizing attacks on peopleís opinions?

You are so late to this convo - and so near the precipice of leaving TRF, that Iím sharing out of respect for your longtime membership.

Only sharing In the spirit of the community.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #2301
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Uhm yeah... yeah great analogy.

Why not use your whopping 50 posts as a member here to express your entitled opinion respectfully. Mine is medical science will (somehow) cut this off before so many people die, how foolish of me to hope for the best. You done think so? You believe hundreds of thousands will perish? A reasonable and potentially correct opinion.

Now go away.
I tend to post when I know what I'm talking about. Give it a try. Everything you say is dangerous and wrong. When one hopes for the best one says "I hope this isn't true." not, I don't believe these numbers.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:03 AM   #2302
superdog
2022 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 22,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
It was first reported on Sky news (UK) a couple of hours ago, the report said that without full quarantine until a vaccine was found the death rate (in a good scenario) would be a quarter of a million. The first paper I found for tomorrow, goes 10K higher. (bottom right headline).

My friend. That looks like a great way to sell papers.

Fear sells.
__________________
If happiness is a state of mind, why look anywhere else for it?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:04 AM   #2303
subtona
"TRF" Member
 
subtona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: gus
Location: East Coast
Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Posts: 24,412
“Handwashing with soap and warm water for 20 seconds is the preferred method of reducing germs and COVID19 transmission.

Hand sanitizer is less effective and should be used when handwashing facilities are unavailable.”
__________________
subtona is online now  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:04 AM   #2304
12Relojes
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Estados Unidos
Watch: Rolex/PP/Sinn
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
May I suggest reading the many admonitions of the Mods earlier in this thread to refrain from personalizing attacks on peopleís opinions?

You are so late to this convo - and so near the precipice of leaving TRF, that Iím sharing out of respect for your longtime membership.

Only sharing In the spirit of the community.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm out. The other doctor dropped out of this thread too.
12Relojes is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:08 AM   #2305
gnuyork
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Uhm yeah... yeah great analogy.

Why not use your whopping 50 posts as a member here to express your entitled opinion respectfully. Mine is medical science will (somehow) cut this off before so many people die, how foolish of me to hope for the best. You donít think so? You believe hundreds of thousands will perish? A reasonable and potentially correct opinion.

Now go away.
Completely unnecessary
gnuyork is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:10 AM   #2306
TheVTCGuy
2022 Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: 126610LN
Posts: 18,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Relojes View Post
I'm out. The other doctor dropped out of this thread too.
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:11 AM   #2307
daveathall
2022 Pledge Member
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Real Name: Dave
Location: England.
Watch: Various
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
My friend. That looks like a great way to sell papers.

Fear sells.
Yes, of course Seth, I have been a big critic of our media sensationalising this for a time. I forget what the document was produced from that they reference, I think that it was a computer model, which, as we know is only as good as the information inputted. I have been surprised at how little other news channels have used this, I know that the BBC is not really a reliable source but they skipped over it completely.
__________________
KINDEST REGARDS

DAVE


daveathall is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:12 AM   #2308
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2022 Patron
 
Old Expat Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Adam
Location: Hong Kong
Watch: SEIKO
Posts: 24,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Uhm yeah... yeah great analogy.

Why not use your whopping 50 posts as a member here to express your entitled opinion respectfully. Mine is medical science will (somehow) cut this off before so many people die, how foolish of me to hope for the best. You don’t think so? You believe hundreds of thousands will perish? A reasonable and potentially correct opinion.

Now go away.
That gets you an infraction. Very thin ice here. Doesn't matter how many posts you have, telling members to "now go away" is out of order.
__________________
_______________________

instagram.com/oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:13 AM   #2309
mountainjogger
2022 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: H
Location: North Carolina
Watch: 114060
Posts: 3,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Someone PM’d me bringing up the Spanish Flu in 1915 which killed hundreds of thousands. That was 1915, we have progressed a great deal in medicine in the last 100 years.
You might want to ask the person who gave you this information the source of their facts.

The Spanish Flu was 1918.

The Spanish Flu did not kill a few hundreds of thousands. Estimates vary, but it appears to have killed between 20-50 million people.

The Spanish Flu infected about 28% of Americans, it had a mortality rate of about 2.5% or about 670,000 Americans

Yes, we have better medical care now. But on the other hand, there were not nearly that many people in the world then. And we were not as interconnected. I have no clue whether better medicine will prevail. I hope so. But I am very conerned.

Here is an article from Sanford U.

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/
__________________
The King of Cool.
mountainjogger is offline  
Old 17 March 2020, 10:14 AM   #2310
BNA/LION
2022 Pledge Member
 
BNA/LION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Real Name: Larry
Location: San Diego, CA
Watch: ROLEX
Posts: 21,361
Remember Me!
__________________

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT --> ?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2021, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.