The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2021, 12:35 AM   #91
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Chrono24 timepiece above, contacted him and he was upfront about the chip. i kinda sorta tried being laid back-ish yet 'lightly' suggested he update the description and condition. He said he will.

Yeah, slow day here at work here i guess
Atleast he didn't say 'That could be buffed easily!'
Old 7 November 2021, 02:04 PM   #92
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

This is reminiscent of some of the pics I’ve seen of ceramic cases. Isolated incidents but pretty catastrophic when they do happen.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 05:42 AM   #93
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

This exact same thing happened to me. The lug broke off and rendered the watch useless. Panerai is refusing to fix it. It was never dropped, never mistreated. Last Panerai I will ever own... I had a PAM01661 and it is a complete waste of money.
tpiemonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 06:13 AM   #94
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

@triemonte, how much did they want to replace the case?
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 03:56 PM   #95
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpiemonte View Post
This exact same thing happened to me. The lug broke off and rendered the watch useless. Panerai is refusing to fix it. It was never dropped, never mistreated. Last Panerai I will ever own... I had a PAM01661 and it is a complete waste of money.
Sorry to hear that , do you have any photos of the damage to share? I would try taking the matters to higher authorities to get some solution.
Old 13 July 2022, 12:47 AM   #96
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

They are making me pay $2,710 for the case, the crown cap was optional for another $780 which I declined. They are putting my original CR Cap back on the new case. Total BS, furious, will never spend another cent with Panerai. Absolutley stay aay from Carbotech and I will never buy another product from a company that doesn't stand behind its product. If you roll over while sleeping and hit this watch on your pillow, the lug will break. This watch was NEVER DROPPED and NEVER MISTREATED
Old 13 July 2022, 01:12 AM   #97
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

I did try and escalate this, multiple times. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture before I sent it back to Panerai. I can tell you that it looks exactly like the other damaged cases in this thread, exactly. Clearly a product fault. Panerai insists I must have taken a sledgehammer to it because there is a tiny knick in the crown guard. This watch was never dropped, never mistreated. I honestly have no idea how this happened. I took the watch off to shower, set it down on my counter and the lug broke/strap fell off.
Old 13 July 2022, 01:43 AM   #98
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did try and escalate this, multiple times. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture before I sent it back to Panerai. I can tell you that it looks exactly like the other damaged cases in this thread, exactly. Clearly a product fault. Panerai insists I must have taken a sledgehammer to it because there is a tiny knick in the crown guard. This watch was never dropped, never mistreated. I honestly have no idea how this happened. I took the watch off to shower, set it down on my counter and the lug broke/strap fell off.
That's just a very low level of service!

Did they give you a quote for the repair or obvious case replacement?
Old 13 July 2022, 02:18 AM   #99
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

yes - I have the quote
Old 13 July 2022, 02:43 AM   #100
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

@tpiemonte, the suspense is killing me!
Old 13 July 2022, 04:33 AM   #101
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

i posted the quote above
Old 13 July 2022, 04:34 AM   #102
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

They are making me pay $2,710 for the case, the crown cap was optional for another $780 which I declined. They are putting my original CR Cap back on the new case.
Old 13 July 2022, 05:06 AM   #103
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are making me pay $2,710 for the case, the crown cap was optional for another $780 which I declined. They are putting my original CR Cap back on the new case.
Wow I had expected a similar amount that's what I know someone who paid for the ceramic case aswell. I guess the watch would even require a full service. They can even use your old bezel which is a also a separate part. I still feel it's worth negotiating this via warranty as similar failure of the composite cases and even BMG cases where no external damage has happened and have got fixed under warranty even after card expiry.
Old 13 July 2022, 05:34 AM   #104
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

Ouch, but, its not bad compared to the cost I heard from AP for the ceramic royal oaks.

Plus its a not that bad compared to the value of the watch.
Old 13 July 2022, 06:37 AM   #105
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.bolton View Post
Ouch, but, its not bad compared to the cost I heard from AP for the ceramic royal oaks.

Plus its a not that bad compared to the value of the watch.
I have to agree here , I wouldn't mind paying this amount if I screwed up the case myself. However it's just painful to bite the bullet if the case just collapse or self destructs.
Old 13 July 2022, 06:49 AM   #106
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

@rajurama, I agree. I suppose it depends on how far you want to take it on principal. An independent materials experts may examine it and conclude it is a defect with manufacture process and may make OP give in.
Old 14 July 2022, 12:20 AM   #107
tpiemonte
"TRF" Member

yes, like I said, I did not cause this whatsoever. I even told them that if I did cause this, I would happily pay for the repair. I mean, I was livid and told them you have a choice: either you have a customer for life and an ambassador as a customer, or someone who will tell everyone they know that Panerai sucks and they do not stand behind their product. They chose the latter...
Old 14 July 2022, 02:24 AM   #108
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
did the lug break off when you were wearing it? could you post some pictures?
i have a 1616 carbotech and i am worried.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 04:17 AM   #109
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
I have to agree here , I wouldn't mind paying this amount if I screwed up the case myself. However it's just painful to bite the bullet if the case just collapse or self destructs.
Quote:
yes, like I said, I did not cause this whatsoever. I even told them that if I did cause this, I would happily pay for the repair. I mean, I was livid and told them you have a choice: either you have a customer for life and an ambassador as a customer, or someone who will tell everyone they know that Panerai sucks and they do not stand behind their product. They chose the latter...
SMH @ Panerai

A watch at this price range should not fall apart even if u accidentally hit a wall… let alone just wearing it or changing straps…

Panerai needs to stand behind the new material construction/durability
Old 14 July 2022, 06:02 AM   #110
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I would say I have more real world abuse documented with Carbotech than most on the forum.
I hit my Carbotech off of a bridge pier under water on a dive so hard it would have dented my Submariner but my Pam 661 didn’t have a mark. I beat the hell out of my Carbotech Pam 661 and it still looks pristine without even a scratch. Changed straps over 50+ times and don’t even have a springbar scrape inside the lug so something doesn’t add up with the above damage report??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcollector123 View Post
Yes. I had to cut open the strap and twist out the spring bar and the tube with a plier. My lack of patience didn’t help either. I wish I could post an image but guess I need a couple more posts before I can.
^^^This particular damage was done by abuse and certainly won’t be covered under warranty.

I have absolutely zero concern with the strength of Carbotech and am still impressed with its durability over even ceramic.

Old 14 July 2022, 07:14 PM   #111
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

And I have the 979 and posted here before that I’ve been pretty rough with it having confidence in this material, and not a mark on it or the slightest issue with case integrity. These posts are concerning, but in reality they are very few. This is not like the Rolex 3235 movement issue. But still I want to know more and would like to see photos if possible.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 05:00 AM   #112
IGotId
"TRF" Member

So far my 01661 has held up...[knock on wood]
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 05:35 AM   #113
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

Indeed, mine is still fine but I am very careful.
Old 22 October 2022, 03:45 PM   #114
rajurama
"TRF" Member

You will appreciate Panerai a lot more when you find out that RM charges 60000$ to replace a cracked ceramic case.
Old 29 October 2022, 06:55 AM   #115
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
Im a fan of new materials but theres some misinformation here

ive owned a few pieces and carbotech definitely scratches.. take a look at some used pieces
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 10:59 PM   #116
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
Im a fan of new materials but theres some misinformation here

ive owned a few pieces and carbotech definitely scratches.. take a look at some used pieces
Yep it can scratch, it can dent and even delaminate however all these at super extreme blows. Minor scratches can be buffed using simple polishing compound or toothpaste and a rag... Other major all parts can be replaced during a major service for example the most likely parts to take the hits ll be the bezel or crown guard and both won't really kill you if you can actually afford the watch... It's still a special material and I enjoy wearing my carbotech , it's really the most advanced carbon fiber used in watch industry much better than AP or other randomly forged carbon watches or parts.