The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2021, 05:02 AM   #2371
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Tbf, the collision with GR was GR's fault but you are correct in saying that he shouldn't even have been racing the Williams for 9th.

Also, Mercedes never really showed any faith in him when they constantly kept signing him to 1 y deals. They should've just did a guaranteed 2 year deal with 3rd year optional initially vs the 1 yr deal with optional 2nd year every year he raced for them.
i agree, i think he's at the point where he's just mentally broken because of how he was treated by mercedes. they made it blatantly clear that they will do anything to let lewis win at his cost and then just dumped him even though he had no choice. i don't think he's good enough to go head to head with lewis but the point still stands
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 05:56 AM   #2372
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i agree, i think he's at the point where he's just mentally broken because of how he was treated by mercedes. they made it blatantly clear that they will do anything to let lewis win at his cost and then just dumped him even though he had no choice. i don't think he's good enough to go head to head with lewis but the point still stands
How can he be broken with 10.000.000+ yearly salary ?
He must be laughing out loud everyday
Old 8 October 2021, 05:57 AM   #2373
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
How can he be broken with 10.000.000+ yearly salary ?
He must be laughing out loud everyday
lol i know, first world problems but you know what i mean. competition is everything to them
Old 8 October 2021, 07:04 AM   #2374
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
lol i know, first world problems but you know what i mean. competition is everything to them
You are 100% right. Money cannot remove the frustration he must feel. Sometimes hard to tell with the Finnish drivers though
Old 8 October 2021, 07:55 AM   #2375
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
I think had Mercedes not had to fight off Vettel and Ferrari in 2017 and 2018, they probably would've let Lewis and Bottas battle it out. Once they realized that Vettel was a real threat, and Bottas wasn't good enough Mercedes just #2'd him.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:00 AM   #2376
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You are 100% right. Money cannot remove the frustration he must feel. Sometimes hard to tell with the Finnish drivers though

I agree that the money doesn’t replace the feeling of missing a WDC over his career there.

BOT knows why the change happened.
I know.
Everyone knows.

A WDC is so hard to achieve…just for perspective: There are only 4 current WDC winners on the grid today; HAM-7, VET-4, ALO-2 & RAI-1. HAM’s 7 WDC equals the combined results of the others.

BOT wishes he had at least 1.
I do too.
I don’t think it’s a “Finnish thing”.

To achieve WDC, one must have fearless, nearly reckless abandon, in addition to top equipment, top team and random flukes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:09 AM   #2377
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree that the money doesn’t replace the feeling of missing a WDC over his career there.

BOT knows why the change happened.
I know.
Everyone knows.

A WDC is so hard to achieve…just for perspective: There are only 4 current WDC winners on the grid today; HAM-7, VET-4, ALO-2 & RAI-1. HAM’s 7 WDC equals the combined results of the others.

BOT wishes he had at least 1.
I do too.
I don’t think it’s a “Finnish thing”.

To achieve WDC, one must have fearless, nearly reckless abandon, in addition to top equipment, top team and random flukes.

i forgot who said it, maybe it was alonso? but essentially said that to be a winner in f1 you have to have nothing to lose (in terms of having a wife and children). i feel like that's a big part of why lewis hasn't settled down yet
Old 8 October 2021, 10:45 PM   #2378
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Bottas was never WDC material and is a 3rd tier driver at best. That being said, he has been castrated enough by Mercedes for Hamilton's benefit that it's hard not to feel sorry for him.
SDGT3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #2379
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Well…we’ll have an interesting grid in Turkey.

PER will be DFL due to multiple new PU elements.

HAM drops 10 grid spots for new ICE PU.

Anyone want a cheesesteak bet on BOT for Pole vs VER?

Old 9 October 2021, 05:53 AM   #2380
asloper6001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well…we’ll have an interesting grid in Turkey.

PER will be DFL due to multiple new PU elements.

HAM drops 10 grid spots for new ICE PU.

Anyone want a cheesesteak bet on BOT for Pole vs VER?

I'll take the bet, you can choose lol. Whoever loses sends money to buy the other's favorite sandwich!
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 05:59 AM   #2381
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Oops I should have been clearer - Pat's or Geno's. Winner’s choice. Anyone other than BOT/VER on Pole is a push.

So don’t want money…

Old 9 October 2021, 06:58 AM   #2382
texasmade
"TRF" Member

VER on pole with BOT P2.

VER better hope BOT doesn't get his braking wrong again.
Old 9 October 2021, 08:07 AM   #2383
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

If dry, Bottas on pole. He's got nothing to lose and always does well in qualifying unlike the race because he doesn't have to manage his tires. The new MB powerunits he's taken the past 2 race weekends have shown signs of being incredibly quick as well.

Sainz in the back as well with a new P/U
Old 9 October 2021, 08:38 AM   #2384
77T
2024 Pledge Member

SAI should be strong - he took a suite of PU Elements.

4th Internal Combustion Unit (ICE)
4th Turbo Charger (TC)
4th Motor Generator Unit – Heat (MGU-H)
3rd Energy Store (ES)
3rd Control Electronics (CE)

While HAM only took an ICE

Old 9 October 2021, 10:10 AM   #2385
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

In my heart I want BOT to win, he's due. Reality, HAM and VER take each other out and... BOT wins.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 12:29 AM   #2386
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

With HAM’s penalty, BOT made it to pole vs VER on wet/drying track.

Race will be another matter of course.

Old 10 October 2021, 03:23 PM   #2387
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
With HAM’s penalty, BOT made it to pole vs VER on wet/drying track.

Race will be another matter of course.

Nail biter imminent….
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 05:39 PM   #2388
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Mercedes is so fast.
Hamilton can win this if Bottas plays along.
Old 10 October 2021, 11:14 PM   #2389
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Wet track is a great equalizer today.
BOT has schooled VER in first half.
HAM the same for 5 drivers that were ahead of him on the grid.

Old 10 October 2021, 11:35 PM   #2390
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
In my heart I want BOT to win, he's due.
Hmmm.............
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 11:52 PM   #2391
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Hamilton thinking he can go the distance on one set, was absolutely furious with his team decision... Need experts to weigh in here...?

IMO he would have a similar result with way more risk.

Thoughts?
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 02:34 AM   #2392
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

This weekend was damage control for Red Bull as it worked out well for them as Perez put up a stellar fight against Hamilton and HAM only went from 11th to 5th. Max said they were never going to win this weekend because they simply don't have the pace.

The troubling thing is how fast the Mercs are at this point and Red Bull will be lucky to survive the next 6 races. A post race interview with Christian Horner revealed they have monitored Mercedes straight line speed since Silverstone and he says they are 15-20 KPH faster down the straights than any other cars without the assistance of DRS. The question was posed to him if this is the reason they have protested to the FIA, and he corrected the interviewer and explained they have not protested, but asked the FIA to look into this unusually high speed differential since the new upgrades (think Ferrari 2019 when they were suddenly very quick down the straights and found to be illegal). BTW, the FIA refused to look into the reason for the tremendous speed increase.

Both Toto and Horner after this race acknowledged that the next race in Texas is a virtual lock for Hamilton as the Merc performs extremely well there and with the long front and back straights, it should be no contest.
Old 11 October 2021, 03:16 AM   #2393
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Hamilton thinking he can go the distance on one set, was absolutely furious with his team decision... Need experts to weigh in here...?

IMO he would have a similar result with way more risk.

Thoughts?

OCO did it successfully today and broke a 24 year record.

HAM might have succeeded without an issue, and maybe could have finished one spot higher in the results.

Were “ifs & bits” cherries and nuts, it’d be Christmas all year long…meaning we’ll never know.

Here’s something on OCO:
https://wtf1.com/post/ocon-broke-a-2...he-turkish-gp/

Old 11 October 2021, 03:23 AM   #2394
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
A post race interview with Christian Horner revealed they have monitored Mercedes straight line speed since Silverstone and he says they are 15-20 KPH faster down the straights than any other cars without the assistance of DRS. The question was posed to him if this is the reason they have protested to the FIA, and he corrected the interviewer and explained they have not protested, but asked the FIA to look into this unusually high speed differential since the new upgrades (think Ferrari 2019 when they were suddenly very quick down the straights and found to be illegal). BTW, the FIA refused to look into the reason for the tremendous speed increase.
I’ve noticed a marked reduction in rake on HAM & BOT chassis in that same period. Clearly compliant. Less drag could be a part of it. Of course there’s the “magic button”…

Horner knows the right way to handle this. He just doesn’t know what to protest. Whining and hoping for intervention is a tactic but not a strategy. RB may need to hire some MB engineers quickly…

Old 11 October 2021, 05:23 AM   #2395
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OCO did it successfully today and broke a 24 year record.

HAM might have succeeded without an issue, and maybe could have finished one spot higher in the results.

Were “ifs & bits” cherries and nuts, it’d be Christmas all year long…meaning we’ll never know.

Here’s something on OCO:
https://wtf1.com/post/ocon-broke-a-2...he-turkish-gp/

Not to split hairs, but in 2005 nearly all cars ran the entire race distance on one set of tires because the rules mandated it. The difference is today was that OCON never pitted for fuel as was required in 2005.

Horner did mention that other teams had mentioned the dramatic speed differential on the straights exhibited by both Mercedes lately, but no one else has a dog in the fight besides RBR.
Old 11 October 2021, 07:59 AM   #2396
Silvio_86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
This weekend was damage control for Red Bull as it worked out well for them as Perez put up a stellar fight against Hamilton and HAM only went from 11th to 5th. Max said they were never going to win this weekend because they simply don't have the pace.

The troubling thing is how fast the Mercs are at this point and Red Bull will be lucky to survive the next 6 races. A post race interview with Christian Horner revealed they have monitored Mercedes straight line speed since Silverstone and he says they are 15-20 KPH faster down the straights than any other cars without the assistance of DRS. The question was posed to him if this is the reason they have protested to the FIA, and he corrected the interviewer and explained they have not protested, but asked the FIA to look into this unusually high speed differential since the new upgrades (think Ferrari 2019 when they were suddenly very quick down the straights and found to be illegal). BTW, the FIA refused to look into the reason for the tremendous speed increase.

Both Toto and Horner after this race acknowledged that the next race in Texas is a virtual lock for Hamilton as the Merc performs extremely well there and with the long front and back straights, it should be no contest.
I cannot find this statement anywhere... I guess Ferrari wasn't illegal... they just found a loophole then closed by FIA
Silvio_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 08:16 AM   #2397
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio_86 View Post
I cannot find this statement anywhere... I guess Ferrari wasn't illegal... they just found a loophole then closed by FIA

The situation was well known.

Everybody knows the FFM manipulation was a cheat - FIA came to a private agreement with Ferrari and implemented an extra FFM to block future aliasing.

You are right that Ferrari found a technical loophole. There was no formal hearing so you are also right that they were not deemed “illegal” by the Stewards.

This went above the officiating layer and straight to the business/political layers.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/16/...liasing-trick/

Old 15 October 2021, 10:25 AM   #2398
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Is anyone else here going to Austin for the race? Haven't been since 2012; so my son, son in law and I are going for the weekend. Son in law has never seen an F1 race and is very excited.

dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 12:36 PM   #2399
texasmade
"TRF" Member

I’m going. Have a seat in the main grandstand pretty close to the track.
Old 15 October 2021, 08:13 PM   #2400
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Is anyone else here going to Austin for the race? Haven't been since 2012; so my son, son in law and I are going for the weekend. Son in law has never seen an F1 race and is very excited.

Same, I attended the inaugural race back then but have never made it back. Was going to take my 13 yr old son as he is really getting into F1 but our Canada/USA border still remains closed for us Canadians.

Have fun!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote