The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 August 2012, 07:08 AM   #1
111forza
"TRF" Member

Breitling v rolex

Just wondering every ones thoughts on build quality/finish & value for money of breitling against rolex
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2012, 07:53 AM   #2
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Rolexes build quality/finish etc, is higher than Breitling, theres no doubting that. Both beautiful brands with some great watches to offer!!

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoo93 View Post
Rolexes build quality/finish etc, is higher than Breitling, theres no doubting that. Both beautiful brands with some great watches to offer!!
x2!

Breitling makes a quality watch. Some models still offer a good bang for your buck.

Don't settle for less than 25% off at an AD - not a boutique - no discount there.

Old 14 August 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Breitling are great watches. Buy it if you are going to keep it since they take a hit on re-sale. If you think you will flip it, buy pre-owned.

BTW, I love my Chrono Avenger on Ti

Bottom line, if you want it, buy it.
Old 14 August 2012, 01:20 PM   #5
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i am beginning to have a lot or respect for the history of the navitimer. the design is iconic but there maybe more chronographs out there.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111forza View Post
Just wondering every ones thoughts on build quality/finish & value for money of breitling against rolex
A Breitling dive watch is every bit as tough as a Rolex Sub. Until very recently the bracelets on the Breitlings was far superior to the Rolex bracelets.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2012, 11:33 AM   #7
NYCrussino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Its important to admire a watch for its beauty and craftsman ship, not only the designer name. When I was younger all I would think was "ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX", as Im getting older I've began to really appreciate Breitlings and im in the process of trying to purchase one now!
NYCrussino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
For me the only Breitling i would consider is the Emergency ( the newer version )
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 11:27 PM   #9
russellnyc
"TRF" Member

Call it heresy, but I own 3 Breitlings and 4 rolexes and I think the Breitlings exhibit a higher cosmetic build quality. My steel Breitling bracelets feel, look, and weigh like white gold. Even the new Rolex bracelet on my Deepsea, as beautiful as it is, feels cheap next to my pilot or navitimer bracelet. The crystals, bezels, and face printing are finer on tr breitlings too.
russellnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Maxfli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellnyc View Post
I think the Breitlings exhibit a higher cosmetic build quality.
Definitely this. Breitlings are as exquisitely finished as anything on the market outside of maybe the super high-end five- and six-figure brands. Their bracelets are second to none. Of course, they don't hold their value like Rolex. But then, what does?

Edit: For what it's worth, I own both and greatly admire both.
Old 19 August 2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfli View Post
Definitely this. Breitlings are as exquisitely finished as anything on the market outside of maybe the super high-end five- and six-figure brands. Their bracelets are second to none. Of course, they don't hold their value like Rolex. But then, what does?

Edit: For what it's worth, I own both and greatly admire both.
With the exception of the new in house movements, Breitlings housed run of the mill eta or valjoux 7750 movements-they may be decorated but just for an example the hour hand in the chronograph rides in a plastic bushing and not a jewel.Work house ,reliable movements and capable of COSC accuracy but not in the same ball park as the Rolex movement.

Terrible resale unless its a Navitimer.

Rolex holds value because of their retail control.Pay retail for a Breitling and you have instantly lost at least 30%.
Lt.Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 06:21 AM   #12
russellnyc
"TRF" Member

Totally agree RE cheap movements (until now, I guess, we'll see how their new in-house stuff pans out), I'm just talking case, face, and brace(let).
russellnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 07:55 AM   #13
Bernie.H.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoo93 View Post
A very sweeping statement !!
Between my wife and I we own 3 Rolex, a Daytona, a SD and a DSSD. I also happen to own a Navitimer 01 Ltd edition and a Blackbird Blacksteel. The Blackbird is over a year old and has not got a mark on it yet !! It's super tough. The detailing on the Navi 01 is outstanding, better than almost any Rolex I can think of.
Whilst the Deepsea is my favourite Rolex, not ALL Rolex are better than ALL Breitlings, in my opinion !
Bernie.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Breitling makes a great watch and I hope to have a circa 2004 Navitimer in my collection one day. I think every collection should have one along with a Speedmaster Moon Watch.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

I love the Navitimer but it still has a cheap ETA movement as a base. Here is a supplier that sells movements at RETAIL. Look how cheap a 2892A2 or a Val.7750 is.And Breitling bought truckloads.http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html
Old 20 August 2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Arclight View Post
I love the Navitimer but it still has a cheap ETA movement as a base. Here is a supplier that sells movements at RETAIL. Look how cheap a 2892A2 or a Val.7750 is.And Breitling bought truckloads.http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html
What does an expensive movement prove?...That's not what we are paying for...Wish it was but it's not.
Old 20 August 2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
What does an expensive movement prove?...That's not what we are paying for...Wish it was but it's not.
Don't get me wrong. Breitling makes a nice watch. The Poster asks how does the Breitling COMPARE to the Rolex,ie fit and finish and VALUE.

YOU ARE PAYING for the movement. Breitlings are retail close to Rolex-buying one at Retail is,well, a losing proposition. Breitlings cases and bracelets are very nice-but the movement is a very basic run of the mill mass produced piece used by ALL members of the Swash Group as well as countless other watch "producer's" They aren't "Manufacture" movements (not counting their new in house movements.) They start as an ebauche(-like buying a shortblock from chevy for instance )and they decorate them and put them in their cases with little to no improvement.

So to ask how are Brietlings watches compared to Rolex- you have to include the movement. My point is compared to an in house free-sprungbalance with a Breguet overcoil as in the Rolex, the Eta although capable of good accuracy-does not represent Haute'Horology. The valjoux 7750 found in many chronographs is a very durable movement-that HAS PLASTIC PARTS. You don't expect this in a 5000 dollar watch.

From a durability standpoint the free-strung balance (like on Patek Philipe,Rolex and A/P) has no regulator that can be jarred free throwing off the watches timing. The late owner of the Swatch group Nicolas Hayek was credited saving the swiss watch industry back when quartz watches were the rave. His company invested heavily in microtechnology- other brands didn't. Breitling was one of the ones that didn't,now that the Group wants to NOT sell movements outside of the company this made them INVEST and build their own INHOUSE movements.

You buy the whole package and if you are going to pay Rolex money then buy Rolex quality and engineering. Yes Breitling's are nice. But IMO the engineering,testing,development and improving the art of watchmaking just does not compare.

You mentioned the Omega Moonwatch-now that used a legendary column wheel movement made by Lemania (2310) and was called the Omega C.231 it is exquisite and was state of the art. It was later changed to the C.861 when Omega re-engineered it to a shuttle/cam type switching system from the column wheel. THIS is watchmaking. Apples and Oranges-just my 2 cents. But it IS history.
Old 20 August 2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Breitling makes a nice watch. The Poster asks how does the Breitling COMPARE to the Rolex,ie fit and finish and VALUE.

YOU ARE PAYING for the movement. Breitlings are retail close to Rolex-buying one at Retail is,well, a losing proposition. Breitlings cases and bracelets are very nice-but the movement is a very basic run of the mill mass produced piece used by ALL members of the Swash Group as well as countless other watch "producer's" They aren't "Manufacture" movements (not counting their new in house movements.) They start as an ebauche(-like buying a shortblock from chevy for instance )and they decorate them and put them in their cases with little to no improvement.

So to ask how are Brietlings watches compared to Rolex- you have to include the movement. My point is compared to an in house free-sprungbalance with a Breguet overcoil as in the Rolex, the Eta although capable of good accuracy-does not represent Haute'Horology. The valjoux 7750 found in many chronographs is a very durable movement-that HAS PLASTIC PARTS. You don't expect this in a 5000 dollar watch.

From a durability standpoint the free-strung balance (like on Patek Philipe,Rolex and A/P) has no regulator that can be jarred free throwing off the watches timing. The late owner of the Swatch group Nicolas Hayek was credited saving the swiss watch industry back when quartz watches were the rave. His company invested heavily in microtechnology- other brands didn't. Breitling was one of the ones that didn't,now that the Group wants to NOT sell movements outside of the company this made them INVEST and build their own INHOUSE movements.

You buy the whole package and if you are going to pay Rolex money then buy Rolex quality and engineering. Yes Breitling's are nice. But IMO the engineering,testing,development and improving the art of watchmaking just does not compare.
Breitling makes a great watch and I hope to have a circa 2004 Navitimer in my collection one day. I think every collection should have one along with a Speedmaster Moon Watch.
Old 20 August 2012, 11:48 AM   #19
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Quote:
After I studied the price list for ETA movements, I know how it feels to be robbed! Thanks for the link
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Bernie.H.
Banned

Quote:
Are you saying that Breitling have removed the 01 in house movement from the Navitimer and replaced it with an ETA !!
What I often find really strange on this forum is.....if an Omega, a Breitling or even a Chanel has an ETA movement its 'just cheap rubbish' but if the same movement is in a Tudor 'Its a great workhorse' ??
Bernie.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 06:58 PM   #21
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
Here here! I would like a new Navi soon if funds allow, however I will say that a lot of what Breitling has to offer is a bit overwrought and gaudy, IMHO.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2012, 10:50 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
My Steelfish is a superb watch, solid, extremely well built and a bargain at the price. People can talk about intangibles like resale and snob appeal but I would stack my SuperOcean up against my Sub any day of the week.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 12:36 AM   #23
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellnyc View Post
Call it heresy, but I own 3 Breitlings and 4 rolexes and I think the Breitlings exhibit a higher cosmetic build quality. My steel Breitling bracelets feel, look, and weigh like white gold. Even the new Rolex bracelet on my Deepsea, as beautiful as it is, feels cheap next to my pilot or navitimer bracelet. The crystals, bezels, and face printing are finer on tr breitlings too.
I was going to post the very same thing then I read your reply.

Over the years, I have owned (and own) both Breitling and Rolex. Breitling has always been flawless and the attention to detail is second to none. I put them ahead of Rolex when it comes to finish.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 03:01 PM   #24
vda1288
"TRF" Member

i would have to agree with a majority of the above. Breitling has taken a cue from Rolex in terms of marketing and physically speaking they are amazing pieces, both in construction and finish. I would concur with above statements about the bracelets being finer than Rolex. However, as far as movements go, most pieces use ETA guts (except for some new in-house stuff they are beginning to put out). Resale isn't quite there but if you get 20-30% off at an AD or better yet in the Islands you may have a fairly priced piece. Breitling also seems to be moving towards annual price bumps which will synthetically add value to a discounted or pre-own purchased piece.

Disclaimer: I own both a Rolex GMTII and Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 46
vda1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 04:05 PM   #25
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Love them both but am into vintage only! For those going by movements, Rolex too used outsourced movements on it's Daytonas till 2000 and if we compare that to the iconic Navitimers, Breitling too has gone onto the inhouse movement bandwagon, though a few years late.

[/QUOTE]

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 07:38 PM   #26
Puffy
"TRF" Member

i'd never buy a brand new breitling, vintage only
Old 1 September 2012, 02:23 PM   #27
ShortyB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I own two Subs and Two SuperOceans. Love all of them.
The Subc fells like it has the better build quality.
ShortyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie.H. View Post
Are you saying that Breitling have removed the 01 in house movement from the Navitimer and replaced it with an ETA !!
What I often find really strange on this forum is.....if an Omega, a Breitling or even a Chanel has an ETA movement its 'just cheap rubbish' but if the same movement is in a Tudor 'Its a great workhorse' ??
I didn't call an ETA cheap rubbish. AGAIN, compare Rolex vs. Breitling.

If I'm paying that kind of cash I want an IN-HOUSE PROVEN movement. Tough to beat Rolex in that department.

As to the "workhorse" comment. Sure the ETA is a proven watch engine- would you buy a new ASTON-MARTIN with a small block chevy engine-It's a great workhorse- right?Whats under the hood and in the case MATTERS. That's why a Tudor ISN'T a Rolex.
Old 1 September 2012, 03:02 PM   #29
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Rolex here!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 01:14 AM   #30
canwatchco
"TRF" Member

I am so tired of the movement debate on Breitlings. I have owned litterally dozens of them, and as a whole they have proved to be incredibly accurate and reliable. And, they are built like tanks. Test drive the new superocean 44 before buying a new Sub or Deep Sea. one jalf to one third the cost, and it looks, feels and performs equally.

I think Breitling has done a brilliant job with their marketing, and I truly think that they have a fantastic lineup.

Cheers.
canwatchco is offline   Reply With Quote