The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
Panerai No.5 for COSC Movements

Taken from WatchTime.

Rolex remains Switzerland’s undisputed chronometer king. Panerai ranks as No.5 producer in 2009 for COSC movements.

"Rounding out the top five producers was Panerai, whose 40,562 total was down about 6,000 from the previous year."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosc_data_2009.jpg (76.6 KB, 274 views)
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 10:04 PM   #2
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Thanks Lee... very interesting numbers.

Had no idea that some brands were so high up on the list.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 10:15 PM   #3
leeye
"TRF" Member

not sure how many are aware but all of Panerai's in-house movement does not undergo the COSC certification.

you can read the full article at the following link.

http://www.watchtime.com/2010/09/who...ter-producers/

another interesting article about Richemont sales.

http://www.watchtime.com/2010/09/ric...sales-results/
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 15 September 2010, 10:48 PM   #4
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Yup. No certificate with the in-house models.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 11:29 PM   #5
leeye
"TRF" Member

I did ever ask this question to the Panerai office and this was their reply.

"The In-house movements are completly assembled at the factory and Panerai thinks, it's better for the customer if we judge our movements with harsher check criteria than for cosc certification. We take advantage of this situation and Panerai communicates with our values and our movements aren't COSC certified (choice of the Brand)."
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 15 September 2010, 11:37 PM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

No cosc with watches with two hands either (112, 210, 000, etc.)
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 01:39 AM   #7
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
does num of certificates counts the total number of watches? or this is a per watch design certificate? good info about in-house movements on pam watches.
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 03:40 AM   #8
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
does num of certificates counts the total number of watches? or this is a per watch design certificate? good info about in-house movements on pam watches.
Yes, total number of watches tested for COSC.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 04:40 AM   #9
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
I think it's actually a per movement issue as all movements tested may not have become complete watches at the time of this report. I think the movements are tested before being assembled into the complete watch. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 06:02 AM   #10
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Many uber high-end watch makers don't have COSC. PP, AP, etc...
Old 16 September 2010, 06:57 AM   #11
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post
I did ever ask this question to the Panerai office and this was their reply.

"The In-house movements are completly assembled at the factory and Panerai thinks, it's better for the customer if we judge our movements with harsher check criteria than for cosc certification. We take advantage of this situation and Panerai communicates with our values and our movements aren't COSC certified (choice of the Brand)."

COSC just means that the movement has been tested in certain positions to see that it can be regulated to within a set range. This actually means very little in the long run, it's a test that is carried out before the watch is even built, after the test the movement is transported back to the factory, it is then assembled into a watch, then it is transported around until it arrives at the AD. The timescale between this can be several months, during that time the movement has been inactive and once it is actually bought it could well have suffered some type of shock, or other situation that could affect the timekeeping.

I think people should look at the COSC for what it is, a test to measure that a movement is capable of being regulated to a set parameter, Panerai do this with their in-house movements and it gives the same assurance.

Almost all of the higher end watchmakers carry out their own in-house testing as well, Patek have come up with a new standard, AP, VC, Lange, etc all do this as well, COSC is something that has grown into a bit of a monster, in that people think that a watch that comes with a COSC is better than one that doesn't, in reality there are watches that go to get tested with a 7750 in it, and others that don't, both could have been produced in the same batch at ETA!

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 08:33 AM   #12
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Historically, not every Rolex watch had a COSC certified movement, yet these were all likely top notch.

I agree with the philosophy that when a watch has a commodity movement (ETA for example) that comes in various grades or if it has been lightly modified by the watch company delivering the final timepiece, a COSC cert makes more sense.

Doing it on an in-house movement is simply marketing.

If you can't trust the watch brand to make a solid, accurate, reliable in-house movement, then why on earth would you want to buy product from them? :)
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 10:33 AM   #13
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
COSC just means that the movement has been tested in certain positions to see that it can be regulated to within a set range. This actually means very little in the long run, it's a test that is carried out before the watch is even built, after the test the movement is transported back to the factory, it is then assembled into a watch, then it is transported around until it arrives at the AD. The timescale between this can be several months, during that time the movement has been inactive and once it is actually bought it could well have suffered some type of shock, or other situation that could affect the timekeeping.

I think people should look at the COSC for what it is, a test to measure that a movement is capable of being regulated to a set parameter, Panerai do this with their in-house movements and it gives the same assurance.

Almost all of the higher end watchmakers carry out their own in-house testing as well, Patek have come up with a new standard, AP, VC, Lange, etc all do this as well, COSC is something that has grown into a bit of a monster, in that people think that a watch that comes with a COSC is better than one that doesn't, in reality there are watches that go to get tested with a 7750 in it, and others that don't, both could have been produced in the same batch at ETA!
Nicely put.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 11:16 AM   #14
leeye
"TRF" Member

so what's Rolex rationale for having so many more COSC movements than other manufacturers? surely we can all depend on Rolex's high standards, quality and workmanship in their watches.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 16 September 2010, 11:47 AM   #15
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeye View Post
so what's Rolex rationale for having so many more COSC movements than other manufacturers? surely we can all depend on Rolex's high standards, quality and workmanship in their watches.
We can Lee. Of course Rolex makes so many more watches than other brands, but honestly it's marketing.

Why put "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial?

There was a time when "Officially Certified Chrometer" was enough.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 11:18 AM   #16
ddczre

Watch: AP Diver
Icon7 Exceeding COSC specs

Ive had my 312 for a few days now and the accuracy is amazing. Im running about +1 after 3 days!
That said, a Mngr at Mayors commenter that my PAM IH movement wasnt COSC as if that was somehw inferior. Alls i know is that it blows away my AP diver (which i sent into repair center within first week due to 15+ a day) and my Rolex "Chronometer"

Very pleased withi this watch and thanks to all the help getting up to speed with Panerais form tthe forum.
ddczre is offline   Reply With Quote