The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2020, 06:43 AM   #1
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
New watch damaged at AD; am I actually the bad guy here?

[No names of AD or sales rep will be posted.]

October 2019, my long-term (30+ years) AD obtained the white Sky-D I was wanting. Literally within minutes of payment, my 10 year-experienced sales person sized the bracelet and absolutely destroyed three pins and put a micro-scratch along the side of a link. The pins were so damaged that I could not believe that the pin head sides had not broken off at the slots. Mangled, totally mangled. I could not they even rotated out under the circumstances.

Discovered this only upon returning home and polishing the watch, and immediately contacted the store within a half hour of the purchase. The owner himself <pure accident of course> answered the phone so he was the one told of the damages. At no time did I show anger; I simply stated that this was unacceptable when I paid (without tax) ~17.2K. He was profuse in apology and asked what he could do to make it right - take it back - or get new pins and polish. I opted for pins and he sent me Rolex packs of the two sizes within a week. No problem, I swapped them out and was willing to ignore the very ultra-fine micro-scratch. His enclosed apology note stated which lengths were for which links.

I had had no issues with the resizing as my previous Explorer was sized with NO discernible damage by the same sales guy. So I felt comfortable. Otherwise I would have done it myself like my Pelagos from a Tudor AD.

[The Pelgaos has even smaller pins than Rolex. I was able to soften the Loctite like butter and it was SOoo easy; those pins backed out very nicely with no force required at all. I do have the proper Horology tools for all this for Rolex and Tudor, and am a mechanical technician by trade.]

So the damage has since been forgotten about. Water under the bridge. Right?

Then I made the mistake of returning in January to look at the possibility of a final watch for my collection, potentially adding a Day-Date.

The sales rep was busy and never came over when he was done. I approached and asked how is everything. His demeanor was curt, with no eye contact. Obviously he did not want to talk, where he previously over the years had been very friendly and enthusiastic to talk watches. He asked sarcastically “did you get your pins.”

Perhaps he was both embarrassed and angry? I don’t know. So much for the “water under the bridge” it seems.

At that point I realized things were not good. Then he excused himself to disappear into the back.

At this point the owner came over to chat as he always does. I was in no mood by now, but I graciously talked for a few minutes and then said I had to get some lunch (which I did) and so I left.

Seems by mutual agreement that neither myself nor my sales rep are too interested in doing any future business with each other.

This entire fiasco seems akin to buying a new car, and on your way off the lot with it, the sales person runs his key down the side and sarcastically tells you to enjoy your new car.

Things are not so bad, however. Should I choose to buy any additional Rolex, there are four other AD’s within a 20 mile radius. It just so happens the one I have done most of my business with is the closest.

I am quite happy with the current state of having all new, undamaged pins on the watch.

So I am wondering if you readers out there see something I did wrong – such as talking with the owner <accidentally, as stated earlier> rather than directly with my sales rep?

Am I the “bad guy” here? Is it wrong to expect to not receive a buggered/scratched-up bracelet from an AD? Am I being overly critical to incompetence and lack of caring/responsibility on the part of another person?

Bracelet pins CAN be and ARE removed and reinstalled every day with NO damage.

Should I have just shrugged it all off?

All the sales guy had to do was replace the pins (if they had them) and perhaps I never would have even noticed the micro-scratch -- for a while, at least? And assumed it was my doing.

All inputs are welcome; flame me if you see this is my problem and that I have brought it on myself.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:45 AM   #2
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I think both new screws and links where impacted should fix the problem and not be an insane cost for the AD to swallow.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:59 AM   #3
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

The "damage" without pictures is subjective. My thoughts are if I want something done right, I do it myself unless its out of the scope of my knowledge/ability. Unscrewing a bracelet pin, applying locktite, and reinstalling should be very simple as long as you have the right size flat head screw driver. That said, there is no excuse for the sales rep to not know how to do this properly. I understand your frustration. If I were in your shoes, I would leave it be and have it taken care of by a trained independent watchmaker or RSC at next service.
Old 14 January 2020, 06:59 AM   #4
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I see nothing wrong with what you did or said. I would have made a personal visit and speak to that sales rep.
Perhaps the sales associate felt you went behind his/her back and reported the incident directly to the owner without first giving your sales rep. a chance?
Probably a misunderstanding from your sales rep. and now he/she feels betrayed by the phone call.
Move on and start a new relationship perhaps?
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #5
jcj
"TRF" Member

Were I in your shoes, I would have likely asked to speak with the sales rep, vs. venting directly to the owner. Of course, that doesn't excuse any of the sales person's behavavior before or since.
jcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:05 AM   #6
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
I would stop in for one more casual visit. Deal with the owner, strike up conversation and see if the tone is any different. If you get the feeling you are not welcome, move on. If they are friendly and want to work with you, keep the relationship.

The day/time you stopped in may have been off. If after a second visit same thing, time to move on.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Gdoc26
"TRF" Member

Salespeople should not be sizing or doing any other "work" on high end watches. This needs to be done in the back by the "jeweler" or "watchmaker". I have all the tools at home and the patience to do things right, that's why I would prefer, put it in a box and let me take it home if the expert in the back can't do it for me. This is akin to the service writer at a Ferrari dealer trying to do an engine repair.
Gdoc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:10 AM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
That's kind of petty on the part of the SA. I'm guessing that what happened was the owner got down on the SA for damaging the pins and scratching the link. And now he's upset at you for getting him in trouble. If this is the case it's typical of many people nowadays who cannot own up to mistakes.
I'm surprised that this wasn't addressed at the time of the incident. That's what really upsets me. What's wrong with just admitting that you made a mistake, replace the pins and offer a light polish.
Based on everything I read it sucks that you the customer is put in a position where you feel like you are possibly the "bad guy" in all of this. It's a $17K + watch! It's not asking too much that they treat it as such. It's funny, when I purchased my SD43, my SA insisted that they have to size it before it leaves. Previously I've always sized my own bracelets. Anyway, I jokingly told my SA that if they scratch it I want a new bracelet or a refund. They still insisted on sizing it, and they didn't muck it up.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Dan GSR
"TRF" Member

Salesman prob lost all of his commission. He's just butt hurt
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:15 AM   #10
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Your watch is still scratched .I wouldn't have accepted it .I would have accepted the owners offer for a new watch .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #11
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
HELL NO! You're absolutely not wrong. The sales rep is lucky to still be employed. Rep screwed it up, rep lives with it.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #12
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I think your sales rep may have been mad that you went above their heads to the owner/management. I get that you can’t control who answers the phone, but I’m just looking at it from the sales rep view. Personally, I don’t think you did anything wrong.
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #13
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
New watch damaged at AD; am I actually the bad guy here?

You’re not the bad guy.

Maybe the sales person is hurt because you didn’t talk to him/her first

But you didn’t really have the choice

I would continue to do business there, because I’m sure other sales people already know you there

Or just deal with the owner

That would work too
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #14
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Sorry. Not following. What could you have done wrong?
Old 14 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
I think your sales rep may have been mad that you went above their heads to the owner/management. I get that you can’t control who answers the phone, but I’m just looking at it from the sales rep view. Personally, I don’t think you did anything wrong.

Agree
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:25 AM   #16
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I don't think you're the a**hole. That sales representative is quite unprofessional.

Having said that:

I think the sales rep would have appreciated if you came to him first, instead of speaking with his manager. What I think happened is that the manager gave him a talk after that phone call, putting said sales rep in a bad light. Maybe he was in tight competition with other sales reps or something, and he looked pretty bad in management's eyes.

His attitude with you is still unjustified, but I think my theory would explain why he seemed curt with you. In his place, I'd just pull you aside and say "hey, I'm sorry about the pins, but next time, please consider reaching out to me first."

Again, though, it's not your fault that he botched perhaps the easiest adjustment a dealer can do. People make mistakes and he's supposed to own the one he made. Seems like he didn't.
Old 14 January 2020, 07:29 AM   #17
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Your watch is still scratched .I wouldn't have accepted it .I would have accepted the owners offer for a new watch .
I believe he offered to "take it back" - meaning a refund.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:31 AM   #18
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj View Post
Were I in your shoes, I would have likely asked to speak with the sales rep, vs. venting directly to the owner. Of course, that doesn't excuse any of the sales person's behavavior before or since.
Agreed

Who knows how the owner handled it or communicated what you said. Bummer the SA wouldn't talk to you about it, he is the one with a lost customer now.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:36 AM   #19
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

You have done nothing wrong and acted in an appropriate manner.

The sales rep has been told of by the owner, as its unacceptable to damage a watch and hand it over to a client, as he must have been aware of the mishap with the pins. Clearly he has taken offence and unable put it aside in a professional manner.

How was to owners attitude towards you? If "like in the old days", then I would continue the business, however deal directly with the owner instead (if possible).

Believe the owner tried his best to mitigate by offering new pins or take it back (Doubt they have reserves in the safe). Furthermore you state that he provided guidance on the pins in his enclosed apology note; Thereby ensuring proper guidance on how to mitigate yourself, which is what you wanted. Can't see that you could have asked for more? (besides the situation not happening at all)
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:40 AM   #20
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I believe that you could have addressed the sales rep directly, but in the end the owner needs to know about this, so it could go either way. I say that as he may not have even realize the error in his ways as it was communicated via phone call rather than visually on site.

If the sales rep is doing this you are likely not the first, but maybe the first to notice or speak up. The owner is the one who’s bottom line it will hit at the end of the day and not the sales guy. I believe it’s really up to owner to manage that rather than the customer. Not to sound like a a whiner, but the sales person has no right to treat you like that afterwards regardless of his opinion, it’s his job to service the customer, and I think attitude issue could have even been brought up with the owner in a casual way if you and that individual are still on good terms which it sounds like you are.

He may not have been kind with the sales rep in how addressed it, but in the end it’s his store to manage and none of ours. He needs to manage this, not any of the customers, nor should they have to pay for the sales people’s attitudes towards customers.
Jackie Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:42 AM   #21
Zoomerang

Watch: 126600
It seems like the person most impacted by this is the Owner, who actually apologized and sent you the pins.. and continues to pay the inept SA salary but will now lose your business!

You seem happy with the outcome and up to interacting with the SA again, you were willing to continue giving your business to this AD.

I'd suggest discussing discretely with the owner and not let go your multiyear relationship go sideways because of one incident that was remedied to both parties satisfaction.
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:48 AM   #22
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
The behavior of the sales rep is ridiculous. You did absolutely nothing wrong. They could have been glad to see you there again at all.

I would NEVER buy anything there again.
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:02 AM   #23
AG23
"TRF" Member

I think going directly to the owner is exactly what you should have done. The sales guy had the opportunity to do the right thing at the time, but chose not to. That’s on him and he should have tried to re-build the relationship with you when he next saw you rather than act the way he did. If things are okay with the owner I’d still use the place.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:22 AM   #24
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Whatever their problem is, the customer is always right! Someone got in trouble, hence the bad attitude but this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. You did nothing wrong and again, you are the customer. Take this story to their competition and they may try to get you the watch you want!!! I would...
Old 14 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #25
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, ML
You did nothing wrong and I am sure a lot of people would not have handled it as well as you did.
Dybala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #26
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
I’ve found no lesson is really learned in business unless the screw up costs someone some $$$$... Especially lately. But I agree with the above who mentioned not letting sales reps do that work, my AD has a watchmaker and none of the sales folks attempt even sizing.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:25 AM   #27
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
I’ve found no lesson is really learned in business unless the screw up costs someone some $$$$... Especially lately. But I agree with the above who mentioned not letting sales reps do that work, my AD has a watchmaker and none of the sales folks attempt even sizing.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #28
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
You did nothing wrong. Determining whether to continue to do business with the AD is up to you, but I think you should look elsewhere.
Old 14 January 2020, 08:28 AM   #29
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I’d make my next purchase at another AD, you did nothing wrong. That sales associate should have been apologetic and kissing your butt in my opinion.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #30
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
No one in an AD should be sizing a watch without knowing what they’re are doing and especially not using the right tool. It’s not hard if you use a proper hollow ground 1.6mm screwdriver. I’m a bit out of the game but I seem to remember AD’s are supplied with a Rolex tool kit for sizing. Even if not then should have hollow ground screw drivers then this problem wouldn’t exist.

This is one of my pet hates and I’ve referenced it in other threads. I have no sympathy for the rep here. It’s 100% down to him. It’s harsh but I hope he did loose his commission as it will teach him not to damage watches in the future. If I was the owner/manager of the AD that rep would have been a lot of trouble over this. It no different to the dealer scratching your new car and then getting upset when you call them out on it.

I really don’t get why Rolex put up with this as it goes on A LOT just the non WIS folk don’t notice it (or at least as much). They need to come down heavy on AD’s where this happens and get them proper training. Every customer should walk out with a perfect watch.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote