The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Should a Patek AD require a substantial jewelry purchase prior to 5522 allocation?
Yes, any AD can do whatever they want. 19 21.35%
Yes, but only with the prior approval of Patek. 6 6.74%
No, it's unscrupulous, illegitimate, and tarnishes the brand. 60 67.42%
I refuse to answer for fear of banishment. 6 6.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 November 2017, 01:02 PM   #31
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfatm3f View Post
Because I’m tired of all the 5522 drama clogging up the forum. You either got one or you didn’t. Life goes on regardless of a $20k watch.
Well I was lucky enough to get, but have no plans to flip it. I've always been a fan of the old style Pilot watches, and added it to my collection.

024 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150333170@N07/]
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 01:18 PM   #32
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

Well I’m glad you got one. Vastly different post than the double sealed ones I’ve seen from the countless posts from grey market sellers.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 01:31 PM   #33
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Well I’m glad you got one. Vastly different post than the double sealed ones I’ve seen from the countless posts from grey market sellers.
LOL... so true!
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 01:52 PM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Because I’m tired of all the 5522 drama clogging up the forum. You either got one or you didn’t. Life goes on regardless of a $20k watch.
Me too. Do you know if I can get a SS sports model?
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 02:09 PM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Me too. Do you know if I can get a SS sports model?
Louis, could you please tell me is there really a waitlist of several years for the 5711 blue dial my friend? If someone could pm me an AD willing to sell for say 20-25% off...
Old 29 November 2017, 01:17 AM   #36
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Louis, could you please tell me is there really a waitlist of several years for the 5711 blue dial my friend? If someone could pm me an AD willing to sell for say 20-25% off...
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 01:52 AM   #37
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I think 5522 its a great starter watch for the new collector, they can flip it (with no remorse, because lets face it, there is nothing special about it) and get a complicated Patek instead; that's a great starter watch if you ask me

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 04:33 AM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I think 5522 its a great starter watch for the new collector, they can flip it (with no remorse, because lets face it, there is nothing special about it) and get a complicated Patek instead; that's a great starter watch if you ask me
I won't lie I thought long and hard about flipping it right out the gate towards a 5170G as that has always been a grail for me.

Then again it seems like whenever I flip a patek they go up in value. Just like me and the stock market

Soo...I will wait and enjoy for now.
Old 29 November 2017, 04:45 AM   #39
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I won't lie I thought long and hard about flipping it right out the gate towards a 5170G as that has always been a grail for me.

Then again it seems like whenever I flip a patek they go up in value. Just like me and the stock market

The thought that one could flip a 5522A for a 5170G, and possibly still have cash in their pockets kind of scares me. I know which one I would rather have.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 04:57 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
The thought that one could flip a 5522A for a 5170G, and possibly still have cash in their pockets kind of scares me. I know which one I would rather have.
Mine is not new anymore so I doubt there would be cash my way. Or add cash and ball out 5170P
Old 29 November 2017, 05:06 AM   #41
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d ball out
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:07 AM   #42
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
You hit out of the ballpark. There is nothing special about the 5522. It did not even have a reasonable price for what it was. Nevertheless, it is in high demand so it can be easily flipped for a more complicated model. I suspect you could do an even trade for the 5524 or better.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Somehow flipping this for another Patek doesn't seem quite so mercenary, plus the 5170G is pretty highly priced imho esp compared to the Lange 1815.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 11:27 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’d ball out
Sounds like a plan. Can I borrow 40k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Somehow flipping this for another Patek doesn't seem quite so mercenary, plus the 5170G is pretty highly priced imho esp compared to the Lange 1815.
I generally feel the same way. Something I need to think about. I wouldn’t really want to sell and then buy. I’ve sold a few but I’m not dealer. I’m sure dealers would want a fad wad of cash their way.
Old 29 November 2017, 11:54 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Can I borrow 40k?

I generally feel the same way. Something I need to think about. I wouldn’t really want to sell and then buy. I’ve sold a few but I’m not dealer. I’m sure dealers would want a fad wad of cash their way.
I wouldn't flip straight away, I'd wear and enjoy for at least a couple of months and then take a bit of a hit for that too.
Old 29 November 2017, 12:35 PM   #46
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

I'm trying to figure out how Tony got away with making this poll......
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 10:16 PM   #47
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
I'm trying to figure out how Tony got away with making this poll......
I was wondering that as well.

Even more surprising is that it hasn't yet been derailed by incendiary comments. Maybe it demonstrates that we are capable of civil discourse, on a hot button topic, without devolving into anarchy.

The poll was intended to provide both a constructive outlet for emotion and an opportunity for discussion, while averting any further loss to our membership.

What have I learned from this?

First, many AD's require some sort of conditional purchase prior to allocation of an in-demand timepiece. Whether prior watch purchases, or substantial pieces of jewelry, it's not an uncommon practice and it's not isolated to the watch industry.

Second, a significant number of forum members have no issue with that business model, or at least feel that the AD is not acting inappropriately in doing so.

Third, although I personally believe that such practice is contrary to the expressed interest of Thierry Stern, I now recognize that his words may be more rhetoric than substance.

Finally, while I support capitalism to its fullest, I also have a strong sense of ethics and fair play, and I don't find these concepts incompatible. If one believes that an AD shouldn't sell above MSRP, then intellectual honesty requires acknowledgment that these conditional purchases are taking unfair advantage of an obvious loophole. Smart business? Perhaps. Ethical? I say not. And I voted on this poll and, more importantly, with my dollar.

Thanks to those who participated. Whether I share your views or not, be assured that I value your opinions and have learned a great deal.

Thanks to Steve (Lol-x) for providing this great platform, and to the forum moderators for allowing this exchange of ideas to continue.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 10:52 PM   #48
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
Well I was lucky enough to get, but have no plans to flip it. I've always been a fan of the old style Pilot watches, and added it to my collection.

024 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150333170@N07/]
nice collection

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 12:44 AM   #49
blueflamesg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
A very good idea by Patek, it's the exact type of thinking that can open up an entire generation to the brand.

They could have made it boutique only and sold it to new clients and clients they thought might be suitable.

The reality is that Patek needs to reward both the dealers and the regular clients and a limited run like this is going to have some demand from both.

Personally, I wish I could get a SS Patek dress watch. Not for investment value or for showing off. A stainless dress watch fits perfectly with my daily wear and my lifestyle. The 5711 and the rest of my sports watches are too casual at times and the Calatrava is white gold so not idea. A nice dress watch in SS non limited production at a good price would be a great addition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Is there a SS patek dress watch?
blueflamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 12:47 AM   #50
blueflamesg
Banned

5711/a is an overrated watch. It ugly and overpriced in my opinion and it a flipper model. But well, which patek is not overpriced? Lol I got 2 but sold it both away without premium. Can call me silly or stupid lol
Old 7 December 2017, 04:11 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflamesg View Post
5711/a is an overrated watch. It ugly and overpriced in my opinion and it a flipper model. But well, which patek is not overpriced? Lol I got 2 but sold it both away without premium. Can call me silly or stupid lol
Yes ugly is just your subjective opinion. And obviously a minority one. In mine the Nautilus is my most favourite design of watch. Just buying the Aquanaut has actually confirmed that.
Old 8 December 2017, 03:52 AM   #52
blueflamesg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes ugly is just your subjective opinion. And obviously a minority one. In mine the Nautilus is my most favourite design of watch. Just buying the Aquanaut has actually confirmed that.
Nope, all my friends said it ugly. Maybe it a minority that said it nice 😂😂😂