The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 November 2015, 07:14 PM   #31
de66
"TRF" Member

It all depends on the price imo.
I know that here in Zurich high end watches often get sold to certain demographic who just dont care about the box and paperwork. They have not familiarized themselves with the longterm aspects of owning such a watch, like PP and are often first time buyers. For them the box is just packaging, the papers just "fluff": they know they bought the watch at an offcial retailer and dont need that continued confirmation for themselves. I have witnessed that one of my wife's business aquaintances was about to throw (a rolex) box and papers away(!). After I explained a few things he reluctantly held onto them but didnt want to travel with them on account of space and weight.

If you can verify the original point of sale, the location and demographic of the owner, plus the reasons why papers and box are missing, then it might be an excellent opportunity. The price is then the deciding factor: missing papers and box will and should be reflected in the resale value (unless vintage or antique as others already mentioned).
A missing box is one thing, but personally I think its much more of a chore and headache to go for a watch that is missing papers
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2015, 01:06 PM   #32
namussuz bilo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypilot View Post
no box or papers on a vintage rolex for example i can accept.
No box and papers on a modern 5712 i really cannot accept. That is just me though.
+1
namussuz bilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 10:45 AM   #33
MathewC
"TRF" Member

An update: Well I bought the watch. I met with the seller at Patek in NYC and worked with a service representative (Bret) to check out the watch. They verified the authenticity, movement and case numbers, checked their stolen/lost database, time-graphed and even water tested it. It passed and the seller and I were able to come to an agreement based on condition and lack of paperwork. :-)

Thanks for all who advised. I've heard the Patek community is obsessed with condition and many chimed in that it's not the watch for them, but this one has, and will continue to be worn. Archive papers are on the way and I may get a replacement box but I got what counts, and it's beautiful.

MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 11:08 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Congrats, looks fantastic!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 11:23 AM   #35
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Well done, if you are confident with the purchase/seller that's the main thing when buying from anywhere other than an AD - even with the papers.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 01:21 PM   #36
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
An update: Well I bought the watch. I met with the seller at Patek in NYC and worked with a service representative (Bret) to check out the watch. They verified the authenticity, movement and case numbers, checked their stolen/lost database, time-graphed and even water tested it. It passed and the seller and I were able to come to an agreement based on condition and lack of paperwork. :-)

Thanks for all who advised. I've heard the Patek community is obsessed with condition and many chimed in that it's not the watch for them, but this one has, and will continue to be worn. Archive papers are on the way and I may get a replacement box but I got what counts, and it's beautiful.

Awesome!!! So glad to hear that you have everything in order. Congratulations and I would have done the same:)
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 03:49 PM   #37
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Very great move ,the protocol you ve followed is flawless!

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 02:51 PM   #38
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
I would call a Patek AD with the serial no. And yes Patek can tell you if it has been reported stolen and if a Archives certificate can be obtained. If that is good I would offer at least 3,000 less and if they will accept , I would buy it. Then order the cert and get a box off eBay. Then you would have a great deal and something to sell later , probably for more if you want. Just mo,james
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 10:11 PM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Provided you verify through Patek it is not stolen

If in mint condition (check case for scratches/dings, NO THIRD PARTY POLISHING, all factory markings on case are crisp, etc.)

Then 40% of retail msrp MAXIMUM. (ok, maybe 45%, but i wouldn't as it is not a highly desirable model)

If you desire, you can eventually find a box to buy and get an extract from archives.

As you can already see within this thread, many here won't touch it, yet it still does hold some value in the marketplace with other who would buy it.

JMHO YMMV

Oops, noticed you bought it. Smart move meeting at Patek NYC to verify the timepiece. Hopefully you only paid 45% of retail since Patek NYC was a go-between. Congrats, enjoy your time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:30 AM   #40
thanakornl
"TRF" Member

would not get one
thanakornl is offline   Reply With Quote