The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 23 August 2017, 03:39 AM   #61
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
In the future do your face to face deals in a federal building post office or inside a bank. Never in a starbucks mcdonald's etc imho.
"federal building post office or inside a bank"..lol.....they get held up by crooks all the time. So why would they be a safe place for a watch sale?
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:44 AM   #62
RE. Appraiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolexes
Sorry to hear about the robbery. I'd suggest watching the Las Vegas Craig List too. Within this past month I have seen two CL listings that went something like this -

"l will be LV for the next couple of days and have a Rolex Yachtmaster two tone in new like condition to sell asking $5000. Absolutely genuine, willing to meet at a jewelry store to authenticate."

The next day with the same phone number the asking price was reduced to $4200. I certainly wasn't interested, concluding it was most likely real and stolen. The first listing I saw was very similar although I can't recall any of the details. I have lived here for 30 years and have seen and heard of a a lot grifters passing through this city selling stolen items. Good luck I hope by some chance you get your watch back and the criminal gets caught.
RE. Appraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:50 AM   #63
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Lets set up a sting operation. Jk that would be risky, but id probably do it. I hope they find your watch and or at least get this "gang" off the street. But police here in LA are lazy when it comes to stuff like this.
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 04:20 AM   #64
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I'm really sorry about this. It sucks that thieves believe they are entitled to nice things without actually having to work for them. Scum.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 04:31 AM   #65
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
"federal building post office or inside a bank"..lol.....they get held up by crooks all the time. So why would they be a safe place for a watch sale?

I don't think it would have made a difference to these guys. They did this on a Saturday night 9pm at a crowded Starbucks. With 15 people in it. And cameras everywhere. They can care less. These guys don't care if they get caught. The risk must be worth it to them
Richard6xdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 04:58 AM   #66
Mnicolini300
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 LV
It's very simple. DO NOT HAND OVER A WATCH WITH OUT COLLATERAL! Please! Always make sure to have them give you their car keys, money, ID, and at least make them show you the money and if they have a problem with you holding their money then you need to have a problem with them holding YOUR money/Watch because these watches are money to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mnicolini300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:25 AM   #67
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

Mnicolini300 agreed! Lesson learned. I think I had so many good transactions with honest people that I forgot that there were still scumbags out there.
Old 23 August 2017, 05:28 AM   #68
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I understand that it's cold comfort, but that could have gone a lot worse. A LOT.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:43 AM   #69
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
You have to hire two big dudes for an hour just to sell a watch these days. One of them has to be a big black guy named Ben, the other a short Italian guy named Tony "Eight Toes". Ben stands next to the door and looks like Lawrence Taylor waiting for the snap on a blitz call, and Tony's hand never moves from his inside coat pocket as he sits nearby.

Make sure you introduce Ben and Tony to the potential buyer when he first sits down. If the buyer asks about where the nickname "Eight Toes" comes from, just reassure him Tony's definitely got all ten of his toes.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:26 AM   #70
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

Hahahaha .
Old 23 August 2017, 12:21 PM   #71
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I understand that it's cold comfort, but that could have gone a lot worse. A LOT.
+1. A successful tackle that you wanted to achieve, could have made things worse for you. For this kind of crime, you don't want to go to such distances. I am sorry for you loss, best wishes.
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 12:40 PM   #72
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishy26 View Post
+1. A successful tackle that you wanted to achieve, could have made things worse for you. For this kind of crime, you don't want to go to such distances. I am sorry for you loss, best wishes.
Second this as well.

I've always sold my watches to shops which have some kind of history and standing, I may not get as good of a price over f2f but at least there's the security.

Even if your local area doesnt have many of these watch shops, I would think about selling your watch on a trip in a big city where there would be more choices. Then you can literally go to dozens of shops until you get the highest price. This is what I did with my bluesy - there about 10 or so shops giving the same price and then I kinda gave up and accepted it. Then I went to a few more and found another which gave me the highest price by another 10-12%. Then I went back a couple of weeks later, they paid me in cash and all very smooth
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:01 PM   #73
ABQAnthony
"TRF" Member

Meh, I dunno that I am willing to lose a significant portion of money for "security". Depends on your state I suppose. My state allows non deadly force for protection of property, granted in OP's situation he seems to be a big fella but unfortunately not a fast enough fella given his footwear. I guess to each their own but there are literally thousands of successful transactions FTF off craigslist etc. that end successfully. We only hear about the ones that end in something like this.

Overall all arm chair quarterback(ing) at this point... say the OP got the guy sure he could've pulled a weapon or he could've shrieked and immediately given up given the OP's size. No way to know...
ABQAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 02:31 PM   #74
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
If I was ever in that situation I hope I have the sense to ring Jewelers Mutual right away to see what I need to do to start a claim. That's what we pay premiums for, after all; so that we don't have to get in a scuffle to get these things back and risk getting injured/killed.

Old 23 August 2017, 02:39 PM   #75
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQAnthony View Post
Meh, I dunno that I am willing to lose a significant portion of money for "security". Depends on your state I suppose. My state allows non deadly force for protection of property, granted in OP's situation he seems to be a big fella but unfortunately not a fast enough fella given his footwear. I guess to each their own but there are literally thousands of successful transactions FTF off craigslist etc. that end successfully. We only hear about the ones that end in something like this.

Overall all arm chair quarterback(ing) at this point... say the OP got the guy sure he could've pulled a weapon or he could've shrieked and immediately given up given the OP's size. No way to know...

Not to forget the robber's 3 mates he mentions. Not sure how far they were from the main action. If they were anywhere close & watching, they could have just as easily swung into action, tilting the scales hugely in favor of the robber. Reading it all, you can see it was a planned affair possibly with some disaster recovery exits etc. They don't seem to me like boy scouts at all. Well, its OP's possession, and he retains the right to fight for it till the last breath. A right I respect, but well worth not exercising for a watch.

Sorry Richard, don't want to offend you with hindsight analysis nonsense, easy thing to do always. I feel for your loss. Hope you get some portion of money back from your insurer.
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:02 AM   #76
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

Vishy26- I get that the watch is not worth losing your life. But I really was not even thinking something like this would happen. My reaction of chasing this guy instinct. Looking back at this now I would have just let him leave all together.
Old 24 August 2017, 05:13 AM   #77
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Very sorry to hear, close to home too.
Undefeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:29 AM   #78
c_robbs
"TRF" Member

Wow! That sucks and sucks even more that Starbucks can't do much about it.
c_robbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:30 AM   #79
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnicolini300 View Post
IAlways make sure to have them give you their car keys, money, ID, and at least make them show you the money and if they have a problem with you holding their money then you need to have a problem with them holding YOUR money/Watch because these watches are money to!

Well if that is what it takes then the transaction is likely not worth it.

They hand you fake keys, fake id's . . .

If they wont let you handle the money then you need to walk.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 05:58 AM   #80
PascalSwiss
"TRF" Member

Don't trust anyone. That's why I go with an official retailer. People are crooks. Did you report to police asap?
PascalSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:52 AM   #81
tommy91
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear, hopefully insurance will come to the rescue
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 08:29 AM   #82
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'm just glad the OP is ok. Hope this scum gets what's comin' to him.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:11 PM   #83
Ballaratboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
So sorry to hear about this but glad you are ok
Ballaratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:31 PM   #84
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I hate reading these kind of stories. Glad you are OK.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 07:21 AM   #85
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry it went down like that.

I work in a retail store and if we have a theft, we let them run... Then call the police... Do not give chase do not hit the alarm while they are still in the store...

Jeweler in Fresno CA. Was robbed Aug 5, the son of the owner ran after the robbers. The robbers killed him....

Starbucks sells coffee not a safe haven to conduct cash transactions. What happens if the guy runs with the watch, and a Starbucks employee chases. The guy pulls a knife or gun and does the employee harm. Are you going to pay for the medical bills?
What I do not understand is why Starbucks should be at fault for not helping. As for video my wife is a manager for Starbucks and even with employee theft or anything happens in the store, she does not have the ability to pull video..... If I am not mistaken only HR and maybe her boss (a district manager) can but nobody in the store can pull video.

Again sorry for what happened and hopefully everything works out.....
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 08:09 AM   #86
keylargotime
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSM View Post
Sorry it went down like that.

I work in a retail store and if we have a theft, we let them run... Then call the police... Do not give chase do not hit the alarm while they are still in the store...

Jeweler in Fresno CA. Was robbed Aug 5, the son of the owner ran after the robbers. The robbers killed him....

Starbucks sells coffee not a safe haven to conduct cash transactions. What happens if the guy runs with the watch, and a Starbucks employee chases. The guy pulls a knife or gun and does the employee harm. Are you going to pay for the medical bills?
What I do not understand is why Starbucks should be at fault for not helping. As for video my wife is a manager for Starbucks and even with employee theft or anything happens in the store, she does not have the ability to pull video..... If I am not mistaken only HR and maybe her boss (a district manager) can but nobody in the store can pull video.

Again sorry for what happened and hopefully everything works out.....

I may have missed it somewhere, but nobody is blaming Starbucks employees for not jumping in - if they have video which could assist in capturing/prosecuting this guy, they ought to do the right thing and submit it to proper authorities.

Home Depot guy was recently terminated for giving chase to robbers.

Acts of courage are rarely rewarded or recognized anymore in our society, unless of course you've had a sex change.

keylargotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 08:28 AM   #87
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6xdx View Post
Starbuck Employees and also people at Starbucks were not help at all!
This and then some others.
Also verified with my wife, only cameras on the registers and safe. Some stores have front door but not all. Not one person in the store has the ability to pull video. Would have to go to district manager to get any video when you have a police report....
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 08:39 AM   #88
keylargotime
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Also verified with my wife, only cameras on the registers and safe. Some stores have front door but not all. Not one person in the store has the ability to pull video. Would have to go to district manager to get any video when you have a police report....

Yeah I missed those-

Door camera would be a little more useful than a register camera in this case.

Old 25 August 2017, 08:44 AM   #89
keylargotime
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I missed those-

Door camera would be a little more useful than a register camera in this case.

Old 25 August 2017, 03:01 PM   #90
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

AJSM not sure what you are talking about. Nobody ever said or expected Starbucks employees to help. Not sure where that came from. Only help I needed was them to call the police. And they refused to do that even after the robbers left. My cell phone was dead and I had to go to the car to charge before I called Police.