The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 October 2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Mmehdija
"TRF" Member

Icon14 A Lange Sohne - need help choosing between a Zeitwerk and a Datograph

I am a huge fan of Lange and am finally thinking of getting one. It is super expensive so I am overthinking the decision a lot. HELP me please! I have narrowed it down to a Zeitwerk (black on black, maybe with Striking Time) and a Datograph (gold with black dial, or maybe even perpetual calendar with the gray dial if I can get a decent deal on it). Both are available from AD, and I think I can negotiate them below retail (at least a bit).
Mmehdija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 07:11 PM   #2
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I would definitely go Zeitwork if your wrist can take it (it’s big). The Datograph is a superlative chronograph, but the Zeitwork is unique.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 08:03 PM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have owned multiple ZW’s, Dato’s and even a Double Split. I would go with the iconic Dato for the win! Also try to get a good discount and if not try Palm Beach or Miami as they historically have been generous. Good luck and both great watches!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmehdija View Post
I am a huge fan of Lange and am finally thinking of getting one. It is super expensive so I am overthinking the decision a lot. HELP me please! I have narrowed it down to a Zeitwerk (black on black, maybe with Striking Time) and a Datograph (gold with black dial, or maybe even perpetual calendar with the gray dial if I can get a decent deal on it). Both are available from AD, and I think I can negotiate them below retail (at least a bit).
I think we have all been their - Dato or Zeitwerk. Both glorious.

I went with Dato first but will add a Zeitwerk at some point - probably the Date.
Try them both on and see which fits best, Zeitwerk striking is a big piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 09:04 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watches but do some research on the brand and what it costs both for the watches and the ownership costs. Look in the slightly pre-owned market and see how the watches crash in value and what you will be facing should you pay retail or slightly off on the watch. Have a conversation with the Boutique on the standard service costs for the watches and how long it typically takes to complete a service. Inquire as to where the service is done. Lastly, ask about an OEM strap and clasp or buckle. The cost is significant. If, with all of this information you want to move forward, then go for it. There is a reason the watches lose such value when purchased but it is not all about the money. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great watches but do some research on the brand and what it costs both for the watches and the ownership costs. Look in the slightly pre-owned market and see how the watches crash in value and what you will be facing should you pay retail or slightly off on the watch. Have a conversation with the Boutique on the standard service costs for the watches and how long it typically takes to complete a service. Inquire as to where the service is done. Lastly, ask about an OEM strap and clasp or buckle. The cost is significant. If, with all of this information you want to move forward, then go for it. There is a reason the watches lose such value when purchased but it is not all about the money. Good luck.
Care to share your experiences?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 09:58 PM   #7
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Care to share your experiences?
Curious as well.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 01:00 AM   #8
Canine64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Curious as well.
+3. Please elaborate.

Also, and not to highjack this thread, but question regarding various ALS watches: absolutely love the Datograph, but not currently in the budget. Second choice is a Grand Lange 1 in platinum. I realize they are two completely different watches, but is getting the Grand Lange 1 just “settling”? My car analogy would be a guy always wanting a 911, but buying a Boxster. Still Porsches, but one is an icon while the other is not. Thoughts? Flame suit on.....

Thanks for educating me.
Canine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 01:25 AM   #9
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine64 View Post
+3. Please elaborate.
+4

I'd like to know too.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 01:27 AM   #10
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
+3. Please elaborate.

Also, and not to highjack this thread, but question regarding various ALS watches: absolutely love the Datograph, but not currently in the budget. Second choice is a Grand Lange 1 in platinum. I realize they are two completely different watches, but is getting the Grand Lange 1 just “settling”? My car analogy would be a guy always wanting a 911, but buying a Boxster. Still Porsches, but one is an icon while the other is not. Thoughts? Flame suit on.....

Thanks for educating me.
I didn’t “settle” when I bought my Lange 1. I genuinely love it.

Buy what you love and can afford because you love and can afford it, and stop analyzing stuff that just doesn’t matter.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 07:59 AM   #11
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmehdija View Post
Definitely the Zeitwork striking. If not, then the Datograph. You win either way:)

I would look at pre-loved as the value falls off a cliff as soon as you walk out of the boutique/AD. The movement service prices are not terrible, they are listed on Lange’s website. OEM straps run about $450, deployants can be between 3k and 8k depending on the metal. A lot of IWC straps fit and they are both made by the same outfit. The old ALS moderator on Timezone, Edwin, used to recommend that route.

Good luck!
David
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 08:23 AM   #12
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I love the Datograph, but it's just a very very nice and finely finished chronograph to me. There are many others out there. Including some awesome chronographs that aren't as finely finished but are still incredible timepieces (e.g., Daytona).

The Zeitwerk, however, has no comparison. For is uniqueness, I have to recommend it over the Dato.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 08:59 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would go PT dato up/down or OG your preference but preowned.
Old 3 October 2019, 09:11 AM   #14
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Doesn't Dufour have a dato?

Buy what you love, but otherwise get what Dufour approves of.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 09:43 AM   #15
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Doesn't Dufour have a dato?

Buy what you love, but otherwise get what Dufour approves of.
Yup

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...hilippe-dufour
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 10:42 AM   #16
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Dufour also wore a Rolex Pepsi... so...

I'm biased, but I love my Zeitwerk Striking Time and that's where my $ went first :)
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 03:26 PM   #17
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
This thread needs pics.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 10:01 PM   #18
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
This thread needs pics.
Yes that would help. I'm in the same boat. Thinking of adding my third lange. Zeitwerk (42mm) or Datograph. Prefer the Zeitwork but worried about the size. No matter how cool or unique it is, 42mm for a semi-dress watch sounds awfully big to me.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2019, 11:51 AM   #19
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Yes that would help. I'm in the same boat. Thinking of adding my third lange. Zeitwerk (42mm) or Datograph. Prefer the Zeitwork but worried about the size. No matter how cool or unique it is, 42mm for a semi-dress watch sounds awfully big to me.
That's why I love the Zeitwerk... I don't view it as a dress watch. If you want a dress watch there are so many other more formal looking Lange pieces, but if you want something more sporty/casual then a Zeitwerk really works great, and I have the larger Striking Time piece.
Old 4 October 2019, 12:10 PM   #20
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I don't think you'd go wrong either way. There's nothing out there like the Zeitwerk but the Datograph/1815 Chronograph is the finest chronograph ever made, so it's a tough choice. I went with the 1815 Chronograph but I prefer chronographs and more traditional looking watches.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2019, 12:29 PM   #21
jtli202
"TRF" Member

If you put a gun to my head, I'd go Dato.
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2019, 09:00 PM   #22
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+3. Please elaborate.

Thanks for educating me.
I always thought the Lange 1 was the 911 of ALS. But neither the Zeitwerk or Datograph would be the Boxster. Maybe both would be Spyder. The Boxster could probably be the 1815 and the Saxonia would be the Panamera.

If it were me, my buying sequence for ALS is Lange (in Pt) first, then Zeitwerk (in RG) and finally Datograph (in YG).
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2019, 09:42 PM   #23
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

If I had the wrist for it, it would be Lange 1, Zeitwerk then Dato. The Zeitwerk is so unique and distinctively Lange.
As it stands, I don't think I could pull off the size of the Zeitwerk.

Also, to echo Pongster, the Lange1 is clearly the 911. It's the core of the brand and is credited with its initial success. The upcoming sports model is the Cayanne (off-brand but will bring in a wider customer base and revenue). Zeitwerk/Dato are the Carerra GT and 918.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:28 AM   #24
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
That's why I love the Zeitwerk... I don't view it as a dress watch. If you want a dress watch there are so many other more formal looking Lange pieces, but if you want something more sporty/casual then a Zeitwerk really works great, and I have the larger Striking Time piece.
Thats why i called it a semi-dresswatch. PM and on a strap. But how does it compare in size? I mean 42mm speedy like or more 42mm exp2 like?
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 07:45 AM   #25
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I like the datograph up/down... nothing says Lange... more definitively.. With that said I like the Zeitwerk and have almost purchased.. Someone told me that for him the novelty wore off over time
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 09:05 AM   #26
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I like the datograph up/down... nothing says Lange... more definitively.. With that said I like the Zeitwerk and have almost purchased.. Someone told me that for him the novelty wore off over time
This is why I chose the Striking Time over the standard Zeitwerk as it adds an extra element and a striking complication is quite rare and unusual.

If you can wear the larger size, I think a pre-owned Striking Time is great value considering what you're getting. Personally though, if anyone here is considering a Striking Time make sure you buy one that was manufactured last 2-3 years as they fixed the need to pre-load the minute digit just before it changes, so it's a much nicer instantaneous change now. For me, I'd pay a significant premium for this fix as it's something you see (or now don't see) every minute. The same may be true for the standard Zeitwerk, I'm not sure.
Old 6 October 2019, 02:56 AM   #27
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Have you tried them on? Do they fit your wrist. The Dato and the ZW wear very differently, with the ZW seeming to be w much much bigger watch (even though the actual measures are essentially the same). I can wear the Dato, I had worn it as a daily, but the ZW always seems too big for my wrist.

And buying new, even with a discount, makes little sense to me. Unless you’ve got $20-30K to just throw away.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 10:15 PM   #28
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
This thread needs pics.

Here you go. Tried these on the other day. All fantastic pieces and I can understand the dilemma!

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 12:16 PM   #29
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Got to try on the Datograph Perpetual Calender, and it is incredible. I must say I prefer it over the Zeitwerk Striking Time.

jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 12:26 PM   #30
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post
Got to try on the Datograph Perpetual Calender, and it is incredible. I must say I prefer it over the Zeitwerk Striking Time.

My holy grail watch! Not something I'll ever be able to afford though.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote