The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 9 September 2016, 07:27 AM   #121
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I'm in agreement with you. A community that relies on "trusted sellers" should have the right to post concerns and leave documentation of unsatisfactory transactions REGARDLESS of wheather or not the seller is liable. I'm not saying that slander is allowable, but there will be situations (like this) where whacky things happen... It should be noted and documented. A seller must earn their "trusted" status. I know this is easy to say because I'm not the seller, but if it were me I would caugh up the $500 to have the watch rethreaded just on principle. Now you have a happy buyer and documentation to a community that you go above and beyond, even when it's not necessary. Now that's being "trusted". Just my 2 cents

To add on this would go both ways; for example if a particular user has had multiple instances of running into similar issues with other sellers.
Old 9 September 2016, 09:40 AM   #122
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm in agreement with you. A community that relies on "trusted sellers" should have the right to post concerns and leave documentation of unsatisfactory transactions REGARDLESS of wheather or not the seller is liable. I'm not saying that slander is allowable, but there will be situations (like this) where whacky things happen... It should be noted and documented. A seller must earn their "trusted" status. I know this is easy to say because I'm not the seller, but if it were me I would cough up the $500 to have the watch rethreaded just on principle. Now you have a happy buyer and documentation to a community that you go above and beyond, even when it's not necessary. Now that's being "trusted". Just my 2 cents

Totally agree. Sometimes in dentistry i have to eat work to keep a patient happy. I think all business owners have to eat a particular cost every now & then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 10:16 AM   #123
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
I know this is easy to say because I'm not the seller, but if it were me I would cough up the $500 to have the watch rethreaded just on principle. Now you have a happy buyer and documentation to a community that you go above and beyond, even when it's not necessary. Now that's being "trusted". Just my 2 cents
In this case I would have to disagree. The seller, who is not a first time seller, sold a watch head with a particular serial number series noted in the advertisement. Now the buyer has a letter from Rolex about a watch 2 years later that has a different serial number series.
Until that was cleared up, I wouldn't give the buyer anything. Trusted seller doesn't mean sucker. Maybe old photos could be retrieved, maybe old emails between the seller and his supplier, but without that, no way.
These threads often take a turn for the bizarre, this one was no exception.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 10:20 AM   #124
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
In this case I would have to disagree. The seller, who is not a first time seller, sold a watch head with a particular serial number series noted in the advertisement. Now the buyer has a letter from Rolex about a watch 2 years later that has a different serial number series.

Until that was cleared up, I wouldn't give the buyer anything. Trusted seller doesn't mean sucker. Maybe old photos could be retrieved, maybe old emails between the seller and his supplier, but without that, no way.

Agreed. Of course the watch must be identified as the one sold before any fingers are pointed.

This particular situation is quite bizarre and seems too off to really make concise decision of what's right or wrong.

I'm a business owner and many times I've had to bite my tongue and just make the customer happy to shut them up. Not because I was at fault but because it's a smarter business decision to make a customer happy than ruin a relationship and have that customer spread negative words. Like they say a dissatisfied customer tells 7 times more people about their experience compared to a happy customer.

Old 9 September 2016, 11:50 AM   #125
Nyquist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak 15300
What a strange story. Sorry to hear about the OP's troubles. What an unfortunate situation to find yourself in. I too would not have immediately thought to have the watch opened to check everything is as it should be. Perhaps there is more of us 'trusting' customers out there and this is a useful lesson for all of us. So thanks for sharing.

The whole mix up with the X vs E numbers is bizarre however. Is it possible that the seller could have inadvertently written down the wrong number for his records? I totally agree, as was stated above, that photos of the original watch that was being sold would be extremely helpful in sorting this out. Nick, would you happen to have any on file? Or is there anyway to retrieve an old thread with pics?
Tudor Prince Date + Day
Omega Speedmaster
Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 06:05 PM   #126
2JHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I always say that people should go with the biggest names. Yes, others might be fine and you might pay a little less, but if you're going to buy from a seller here, make sure it's one of top guys.
Going with the biggest names only - this recommendation comes up every time there is a problem with a transaction.

It carries a downside to the watch buying public. Micro sellers like myself end up selling our watches to the biggest names instead of directly to the WIS. I have.

It is based on an assumption that the bigger the name the more likely the watches have been authenticated and condition checked by popping off bracelets, removing casebacks and timegraphing.

I have bought tons of watches on here from big names and no names. Either way I always found it safer (than assuming anything) to simply ask the seller what had been done to check condition and authenticity.
If the answer was not to my complete satisfaction, I sometimes took the watch to Rolex myself after having received it.

The particular case in this thread is a one in a million case (no pun intended). It too however could have been avoided had the seller and buyer agreed that one or the other have the watch checked including caseback removal.
2JHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:45 AM   #127
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Photos would achieve nothing unless you are happy watching these adamant arguments roll by on your monitor "No, I didn't post that watch". "No no no no, I am not holding that watch in my hands currently, I have a different one"

Once those two screenshots were pasted by the seller showing the serial number mismatch, I saw what this 'photo proof' could offer, it offers nothing..Hence why I quickly requested seller to get disengaged on this matter. He has no case to answer here and no need to defend himself further.
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:46 AM   #128
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm in agreement with you. A community that relies on "trusted sellers" should have the right to post concerns and leave documentation of unsatisfactory transactions REGARDLESS of wheather or not the seller is liable. I'm not saying that slander is allowable, but there will be situations (like this) where whacky things happen... It should be noted and documented. A seller must earn their "trusted" status. I know this is easy to say because I'm not the seller, but if it were me I would cough up the $500 to have the watch rethreaded just on principle. Now you have a happy buyer and documentation to a community that you go above and beyond, even when it's not necessary. Now that's being "trusted". Just my 2 cents

Thanks for your thoughts Josh. Just in case, if seller tries to resolve this issue here, wouldn't it become a scenario where he would be trying to work on a watch that he never sourced? Once those two screenshots were pasted by the seller showing the serial number mismatch, I saw this problem straightaway. A resolution here from seller is not possible. Hence why I quickly requested him to get disengaged on this.
Old 10 September 2016, 12:47 AM   #129
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Seems strange to me that you needed Max to tell you what serial it is when it didn't have a bracelet, couldn't you just read it for yourself. Are you sure Max didn't take the back off when you left it there ?
Why strange? Nothing's strange here. Seller sent me the watch with a nato strap. At the time, I didn't even have a tool to take the strap off, let alone read the serial number..

As it was noted on my mobile, not a little later but on 2nd Sep 2014, a day after I created the thread saying its F serial, I went to Max to complain about the tight bezel rotation. Asked him for click spring. Serial number was noted down then, yes, it was an X serial, I was aware of that then. Didn't feel the need to get it authenticated or inspected for 50 dollars. Liked the watch, felt the bezel needed to work for now and may be a service later on one day..Neither did I feel the need to report the serial number mismatch to the seller. If Max opened it, he opened it and shut it back within 3 to 5 minutes, that too without revealing it to me. Max Schweizer doing that is less likely than Rolex doing that. Your location detail says you are from Sydney, so I expect you to know about Max's reputation..
Old 10 September 2016, 12:48 AM   #130
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
I agree with Peter
The situation got worst - with the different serial numbers
Up to now I thought only Rolex had the watch in their hands
Now I find out Max Schweizer did as well

I believe my fellow TRFer Krishna can make this watch look like new
for a lot less than the unethical mega bucks Rolex is suggesting he should fork out.

Anastasios,
I don't expect a gentlemen from another country to know this. Locally here, Max Schweizer holds an unmatched reputation among the watch enthusiasts. Lets not taint him. I don't mind what you said about Rolex
Old 10 September 2016, 12:49 AM   #131
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen,

From the get-go I know this was a weak case. One man's word was unfortunately pitted against another man's word. Hence why, I wasn't confident in dragging the seller into this wrestle in the mud. Whatever he built here, it took time, clear to see. But some sharp members picked up the lapses in my original post and threw the clues on the seller. I don't blame them, this is a fraternity. But unfortunately, from there are on it became an episode with no redeeming features. Later, another member arrives in here and names the seller openly and defends.

If I provide more answers to questions here, it would only serve to implicitly point the finger at the seller once again. These accusations have no evidence, so they are baseless accusations.Baseless accusations means seller is clean as anyone. As it could be understood, baseless accusations does no good to anybody. If forum members who spent time on this thread seek more answers, PM me, will answer. But a stretching thread here is in nobody's interest as no wrong was proven.

I stopped contacting the seller more than 2 weeks ago. If refund was the main objective, I would have sent an E-mail or two in between, instead chose not to communicate with him again. Came here to gauge the consensus, planned to report it to one mod and request him to have a quiet word with the seller(only if he willing to) that too if consensus ever existed on my side(it never did, for a good reason may be).

A serial number bungle and now the usage of words like strange, Bizarre, Sucker are appearing. Its tiring and ultimately affecting.Its a busy time for me as baby is due in a few days, can't afford to spend time here answering and reading repeated tough love lectures. Seller could have been affected too with some negative comments. As things stand now, its unfitting for either to stand on trial here.

Its clear to see now, not just one or two, more lapses emerged in this episode. Doubtless, Seller and buyer are both clearly aware here on whose fault this is, nobody else would know. Its hard to prove anything here, all you would end up hearing are allegations.

One of us committed an error or more, may be it was me. If it was, hope he thinks " its ok, these things happen". If it was him, I am willing to think exactly the same.

Let's get on with other things..
Old 10 September 2016, 01:24 AM   #132
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishy26 View Post
Why strange? Nothing's strange here. Seller sent me the watch with a nato strap. At the time, I didn't even have a tool to take the strap off, let alone read the serial number..

As it was noted on my mobile, not a little later but on 2nd Sep 2014, a day after I created the thread saying its F serial, I went to Max to complain about the tight bezel rotation. Asked him for click spring. Serial number was noted down then, yes, it was an X serial, I was aware of that then. Didn't feel the need to get it authenticated or inspected for 50 dollars. Liked the watch, felt the bezel needed to work for now and may be a service later on one day..Neither did I feel the need to report the serial number mismatch to the seller. If Max opened it, he opened it and shut it back within 3 to 5 minutes, that too without revealing it to me. Max Schweizer doing that is less likely than Rolex doing that. Your location detail says you are from Sydney, so I expect you to know about Max's reputation..
I'm a little lost here?

Is his reputation good or bad?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:50 AM   #133
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Old 10 September 2016, 03:05 AM   #134
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishy26 View Post
Seems you are outside of Sydney. Shouldn't matter much if you are lost here
Mon's a man of leisure and a traveler of the globe, so it might be more relevant than you think.
The next most interesting man in the world? After Gerardo, of course.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 03:11 AM   #135
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mon's a man of leisure and a traveler of the globe, so it might be more relevant than you think.
The next most interesting man in the world? After Gerardo, of course.
Apologies and Respect
Old 10 September 2016, 06:19 AM   #136
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Since there won't be closure on the S/N matter, and a detente reached, perhaps the thread has exhausted its utility in learning moments?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 03:39 PM   #137
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I'm a little lost here?

Is his reputation good or bad?
Max has a good reputation here in Sydney, I have used home many times.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote