The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2019, 08:15 AM   #61
wilbur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos+Friends
Has anyone else had the bezel on their pelagos jam while swimming in the ocean? It free's back up in fresh water. But kind of annoying how mine locks up in salt water
wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 04:03 PM   #62
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I am at the beach all the time with my Pelagos and yes the bezel can get gritty and outright stuck. Note this is from salt water - the silt, debris, and sand in the water. I’ve been able to work it free each time with warm water and dishwashing soap. I do wish this was not an issue. Also wish they would make the bezel 120 clicks - that would be perfect to me!
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 06:30 PM   #63
Biginboca
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
Also wish they would make the bezel 120 clicks - that would be perfect to me!
Totally agree! I also would prefer if it was fully marked with 60 minutes like the DSSD bezel.
Biginboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:58 AM   #64
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I forgot that part - yes if the bezel was fully marked all the way around and had 120 clicks, I think the Pelagos would be perfect.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:45 AM   #65
wilbur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos+Friends
Yes 120 clicks would be nice too. But still a great watch
wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:47 AM   #66
brandonscottbr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Current owner of 2 Deepsea's love them both!
brandonscottbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:03 AM   #67
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
I just recently picked up my first Tudor, a ETA Pelagos from another forum member here and I have to say, I am SERIOUSLY impressed with this watch. I picked the ETA version specifically because I wanted the slightly thinner profile and the ease of being able to have the movement serviced (by practically any watchmaker). I was a bit worried about the thickness (even on the ETA version) but I have to say, it sits on my wrist better than my 16600 SD which I always felt was a bit top heavy (as a side note, I wore a 14060 as a daily beater so I prefer thinner sport watches in general even though I have reasonably large wrists). The clasp is amazing with its spring-loaded "expand on demand" setting. The lume is better than any Rolex I have (including newer 6-digits), the bezel clicks are absolutely perfect. Again, I think better than any Rolex counterpart. Matte dial with the matte ceramic bezel is just...sublime. Tudor truly knocked it out of the park with this one. It confirms (for me anyways), that Tudor is the new "tool" Rolex. All the quality of Rolex is there but in a true "tool watch" setup. I kick myself for not looking more seriously into the brand earlier on. Oh well, at least I'm here now.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:34 AM   #68
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Sorry Tudor fans but Comparing a $3000 Tudor watch against a $13000 Rolex in any serious way is mind boggling.:

Look at it this way, if you had a Pelagos and someone offered you a DSSD as a straight trade you seriously would keep your Pelagos
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #69
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Sorry Tudor fans but Comparing a $3000 Tudor watch against a $13000 Rolex in any serious way is mind boggling.:
why? whats money got to do with it ?
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:41 AM   #70
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Nice watch, anyway...

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:47 AM   #71
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:

Look at it this way, if you had a Pelagos and someone offered you a DSSD as a straight trade you seriously would keep your Pelagos
I'd make that trade, sell the DSSD, use the proceeds to purchase a BB GMT, a blue Pelagos, and either THC or BB chrono, and still have a few bucks left to take the wife out to dinner.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:48 AM   #72
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
This thread speaks to me. I took some pictures of my set a few weeks back to post a similar thread but never got around to it. Like you said, I view the DSSD and Pelagos as the apex of their respective lines. They are very similar on paper and very different in real life, they make a great pair.

Also notable is the Pelagos was about 1/4th the cost of the DSSD. It punches way above its weight class, there's no way the DSSD is 4x better, even though I do enjoy it quite a bit. I even walked out of the AD with a 20% discount on the Pelagos back then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0541.jpg (144.5 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0548.jpg (92.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.jpg (105.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0554.jpg (88.4 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0553.jpg (80.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0555.jpg (90.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0557.jpg (90.3 KB, 242 views)
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:06 AM   #73
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well if you want to play fantasy watch exchange, look at it this way, if both watch were worth $3000, which would you pick? The DSSD just feels like an oddly shaped rock tied to my wrist so just on that aspect alone, I'd pick the Pelagos.

Like Sublovin' said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
If we are all honest with ourselves, if the Pelagos said “Rolex” on the dial, it would have a wait list and be selling grey market for $15,000!
...and I agree 110%.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:26 AM   #74
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
may i ask why you've sold the ss sd43 and chose the pelagos over it ?

I'm in a similar situation...
I did this as well. The Pelagos is a keeper. The SD43 in my opinion was just a watch that fell a bit short of the DSSD but had red writing (kinda gimmicky) and the cyclops is a deal breaker.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:30 AM   #75
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kind of a shallow way of thinking in my opinion. I own several Rolex and only one Tudor, but if all you look at is the price tag, I’m sure salespeople love to see you coming!
Old 23 August 2019, 09:42 AM   #76
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

OP, thanks for the comparison. Two bad a$$ dive watches. I came close to picking up the blue Pelagos a few years ago, but it just didn’t look good on my wrist. I was, however, impressed with the build quality and exceptional legibility.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:56 AM   #77
Biginboca
"TRF" Member

In my opinion the Pelagos stands on its own against ANY dive watch out there, from any manufacturer regardless of price point not just against the DSSD.

Strictly on performance it’s got a fantastic movement and lots of innovative features the DSSD lacks like the stronger detent of the bezel at 12:00, the clasp with floating spring adjustment setting, the silicon hairspring, the lumed bezel, titanium case, etc. But it’s not “jewelry like” and won’t get any recognition, which are the only “features” it lacks in my eyes vs the Rolex DSSD, and I realize those features matter to many buyers but not to me, lol

Biginboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:38 AM   #78
gsteve
Banned

If the pelagos came in a 44-45mm........:)))
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:26 AM   #79
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:

If they cost the same, YES.

I don’t know of anyone that would trade a $12,800 pile of cash for a $4400 pile of cash though, if that is what you were getting at.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:20 PM   #80
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

Impressed by Pelagos.

Love the matte look. Especially with NATO.

But still prefer DSSD due to 44 mm size. Despite my NATO preference, I can't bring myself to remove the DSSD bracelet.
deepseacarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:25 PM   #81
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Pelagos is a nice watch, but 2 things ruin it for me:
- I can’t stand the snowflake hour hand
- The bracelet end piece (between the lugs) is designed like the old Rolex bracelets with hollow end pieces, which I’ve always detested

Overall, the DSSD, and other Rolex divers, look better to me than any Tudor dive watch. And though preferences are subjective, Rolex must intentionally be doing something to make the Rolex models more appealing in order for buyers to be willing to pay more for the Rolex models.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:26 PM   #82
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Rolex must intentionally be doing something to make the Rolex models more appealing in order for buyers to be willing to pay more for the Rolex models.
They are stamping the dial with "Rolex".....Marketing.

No matter what watch I am wearing I always here, "Nice watch, is that a Rolex". The vast majority think Rolex is the pinnacle of the watch industry. This is why they demand the price they do. The same business model is present in most luxury brands. Innovation and quality have nothing to do with it. Status and brand recognition does.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:29 PM   #83
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex must intentionally be doing something to make the Rolex models more appealing in order for buyers to be willing to pay more for the Rolex models.
You would think. I have always said that Tudor is certainly the inferior brand by design. If you want PM or a Sky Dweller, etc...Tudor is not an option. That said, with these tool dive watches, they are getting dangerously close to walking the line. Even though my DSSD is my favorite, the Pelagos is so good that when thinking rationally it is hard to see a big enough difference to justify the price between a Pelagos and a Sub. I would absolutely sell my old Sub before the Pelagos, and I would definitely rather the Pelagos than a current Sub.
It is an enlightening feeling when one can get past the “brand” and judge the watch for what it is.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:44 PM   #84
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
In my opinion the Pelagos stands on its own against ANY dive watch out there, from any manufacturer regardless of price point not just against the DSSD.

Strictly on performance it’s got a fantastic movement and lots of innovative features the DSSD lacks like the stronger detent of the bezel at 12:00, the clasp with floating spring adjustment setting, the silicon hairspring, the lumed bezel, titanium case, etc. But it’s not “jewelry like” and won’t get any recognition, which are the only “features” it lacks in my eyes vs the Rolex DSSD, and I realize those features matter to many buyers but not to me, lol

Agreed! And I LOVE the DSSD, as a former owner.

Great photo btw. Mine says hi!
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:51 PM   #85
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

Maybe the question should be, would you prefer spending $4,500 on a Pelagos or $12,000 on a Deep Sea

Out of those two I'm going with the Pelagos and I'll save the $7,500 for my next watch
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:55 PM   #86
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pelagos is a nice watch, but 2 things ruin it for me:
- I can’t stand the snowflake hour hand
- The bracelet end piece (between the lugs) is designed like the old Rolex bracelets with hollow end pieces, which I’ve always detested
1) I never was really interested in Tudors previously and the first time I really took notice of the brands was when the Black Bays were released. I honestly HATED the Snowflake hands (I think even posted about it) but then I saw a vintage 9411/0 and something clicked...that combination of square markers and the Snowflake hand just worked. The Pelagos, for me, struck the same cord as the 9411/0 (without the vintage flare which I do love on the blue 9411/0's...)

2) The end links are definitely not hollow or folded. They are solid end links but designed to work with the rubber straps hence their design. Kind of like the Daytona Strap models that have attached metal end links (also definitely not hollow or folded end links). After years of wearing various Rolex bracelets on a daily basis, I can say without any reservation that the Tudor bracelet on the Pelagos is absolutely top notch and every bit as good and solid as any 6-digit Rolex bracelet...and with the spring loaded setting in the clasp, it's the most comfortable bracelet that I've ever had.

Just to be clear, I'm no Tudor apologist nor fanboy. Up until last week, I'd never owned a Tudor...but I do own a 1680 Red, 14060, 16610, 16600, 116600 and a 126600 so I do have a slight basis of comparison when it comes to Rolex dive watches. (edit: I'm starting to think I picked the wrong username because I certainly don't have that many GMTs...lol)
Old 25 August 2019, 07:02 AM   #87
gsteve
Banned

When i look at the 2 again , PROS
Pelagos... can barely tell its on my wrist , best legibility , amazing value
DSSD ... mesmerizing bezel and its function , bullet proof , and the clincher.... i can stare it for hours, its gorgeous.
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:10 AM   #88
Jpoland1228
"TRF" Member

Pelagos!
Jpoland1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:20 AM   #89
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH

I moved two dssd on over the years , these are about as good as it gets not twins but definitely brothers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 11:45 AM   #90
Bobby Bushcraft
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller SD4K
I have both the SD4K and the blue Pelagos and I prefer the Pelagos not that the SD is bad or I don’t like it - I think the SD is the best all around dive watch - But there is something special about the Pelagos and the Titanium band is way easier to care for than 904L
Bobby Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote