The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 August 2019, 08:39 PM   #91
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Nashville, TN - ADs are gone

Lee
If Median Household Income rankings alone made the difference I would agree.

The population in the county, and the MSA matters. Also, the actual wealth in the upper quartile matters too.

Note where the greenest blocks in the map below depict income - but some big green blocks are least populated.

Rolex Market Segmentation, and how they track actual discretionary luxury sales results, probably matters the most IMHO.

For some reason they’ve chosen to depart the mid-South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 09:32 PM   #92
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post
The Nashville market will certainly get another AD soon. As others have said, the demographics are fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thats a bit skewed as take Harris County in Houston as an example. There are probably way more people who make six figures than Nashville. There is also a lot of poverty too which pushes the median down.

Based on pure numbers there are probably more high earners here though or Dallas, or LA, or NYC, or Chicago

median income and number of people making 100k+ is different metric as median income isn't tracking the volume of potential buyers, so hypothetically what if there is only 10 people counted? the median looks good but the customer base is still tiny
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 10:20 PM   #93
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Icon14

Thank you for one of the more insightful replies... Yes; retail have been taking a beating and some generalized as "Amazon effect"... I believe Rolex should reduce the number of doors they currently have. Just my $0.02

DITA is an American brand but the products are made in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarchiegoodwin View Post
Can this be related to why retail is declining in cities all around the US (except maybe Honolulu)? ... [cut]...

The Japanese brand Dita opened where Swatch used to be...
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 11:25 PM   #94
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats a bit skewed as take Harris County in Houston as an example. There are probably way more people who make six figures than Nashville. There is also a lot of poverty too which pushes the median down.

Based on pure numbers there are probably more high earners here though or Dallas, or LA, or NYC, or Chicago

median income and number of people making 100k+ is different metric as median income isn't tracking the volume of potential buyers, so hypothetically what if there is only 10 people counted? the median looks good but the customer base is still tiny
The key here is Williamson county is south of Davidson county (which Nashville resides in). Williamson county as a whole is affluent and nice - there are still some "country" small towns in the county but Brentwood, Franklin, and Nolensville are all very nice areas.

If you look at Davidson county the two "big money" areas are Green Hills (where King's is located) and Belle Meade (Old Money - think plantation homes). Outside of that I'd say it is "normal" good ole USA. Davidson county has absurd taxes to pay for social programs and football stadiums - so folks who make good money often opt to work in Davidson county and commute home to Williamson county.

I work downtown but live in Williamson county.

That said there is a TON of wealth in this area due to the music industry (Music City USA) and being the healthcare capital of the country.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 11:27 PM   #95
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I am going to be honest a jewelry store owner driving a 250k car just doesn’t add up but yeah it is his....maybe selling grey was highly profitable for a while ...
The grey drives a black Ferrari and is under 40.
Old 15 August 2019, 11:33 PM   #96
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catatafish View Post
Here in nearby Memphis we lost an AD at the end of 2018, the Reed's jeweler in Wolfchase Galleria. Sales person told me they were not renewing due to no inventory and might pick up Omega in 2019 although that never happened. It's funny, I was planning on dropping by one of the ADs in Nashvegas on a trip next week, surprised to see news of their closing. Green Hills would be a logical place to open a new one. By the time you find a parking space your BLRO might arrive.
Nailed it.
Old 16 August 2019, 12:18 AM   #97
WatchUdoing
"TRF" Member

I'm in Chattanooga, and went to my AD on Saturday. This AD is the only one within 90 miles, and my SA said she fields calls all day from Nashville, Atlanta, and Knoxville for people looking for watches. This isn't surprising given the current market, but it probably doesn't help that Nashville AD's are closing.
WatchUdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:57 AM   #98
BNAWatchMan
"TRF" Member

Long time lurker .... first time poster.

What I have heard is that Diamond Cellar out of Ohio, an authorized Rolex and Patek dealer, is moving into the Green Hills area of Nashville near the mall. Rolex would not abandon one of the very fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S. That said, this is the third change in Rolex ADs for the area in the last 8 years, which makes it tough to develop relationships. I guess extraordinary growth creates disruption.

King's continues to handle Tudor, so I speculate that this was Rolex being opportunistic and focusing on a larger store relationship rather than meting out some punishment to King's or the Murfreesboro dealer.
BNAWatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 01:24 AM   #99
SirPolarBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV126710BLNR
The money resides mainly in Brentwood, Franklin, Belle Meade, and areas of West Nashville. The arguments over population size and wealth aren't valid.. The money in Nashville makes the wealthy areas of any neighboring city look like a joke (Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Birmingham, Louisville, etc). - Excluding Atlanta.

King's had a massive binder of orders/deposits for nearly every watch including the less desirable pieces. There's a clear demand for Rolex and King's must have done something stupid to lose them/end relationship.

It's a shame we're AD less. It would be nice to have answers and sucks to have to build a new relationship from scratch when a new AD comes to town.
SirPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #100
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
The grey drives a black Ferrari and is under 40.

Then I am in the wrong business ....we should get the TN folks together ...I am in franklin.
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 03:02 AM   #101
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPolarBear View Post
King's had a massive binder of orders....King's must have done something stupid to lose them/end relationship.

^this
Old 16 August 2019, 11:27 AM   #102
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
The new Nashville AD is not Lee Michaels. I called them today and a store manager said he wasn’t aware of a future Nashville location, but would check with his owner and let me know. Surprisingly he very nicely called back and confirmed it isn’t them. FYI
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:24 PM   #103
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
The future of Rolex and any luxury brand that wants to control its' retail price will be:

1. Go to jeweler or boutique or Rolex.com
2. Shop, look and choose from ALL models
3. Decide to buy and the store display model will be sized for you if necessary not at Rolex.com of course
4. You give your credit card details and leave with no watch
5. Rolex fulfillment center will size a brand new watch and ship it to your purchase location or your home
6. Your card is charged only once the watch has been shipped

If Rolex wants to control its' retail prices this is the only practical model now.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:24 AM   #104
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Perhaps this is why Rolex pulled the Nashville AD contract:

They were selling fake Cartier in the Aventura location.

Google “Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels Accuse Aventura Store of Pirating Trademarked Jewelry World-famous jewelers Cartier International and Van Cleef & Arpels have set their sights on an Aventura jewelry business after allegedly discovering knock-off versions of their luxury rings, earrings and necklaces at the South Florida store.”

New member - can’t post link yet.

Read the lawsuit. They were even engraving Cartier on their bracelets. *smh*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:45 AM   #105
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Nashville market will certainly get another AD soon. As others have said, the demographics are fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting that 10 out of the 19 in that list are all in the DMV metro.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:58 AM   #106
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlia0121 View Post
Perhaps this is why Rolex pulled the Nashville AD contract:

They were selling fake Cartier in the Aventura location.

Google “Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels Accuse Aventura Store of Pirating Trademarked Jewelry World-famous jewelers Cartier International and Van Cleef & Arpels have set their sights on an Aventura jewelry business after allegedly discovering knock-off versions of their luxury rings, earrings and necklaces at the South Florida store.”

New member - can’t post link yet.

Read the lawsuit. They were even engraving Cartier on their bracelets. *smh*

Whoa I am well shocked but innocent until proven guilty right ....

https://www.law.com/dailybusinessrev...20190722195643
Old 23 August 2019, 10:07 AM   #107
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

I sure hope so, but it’s a pretty damning suit if you read the attached legal filing. I’ve loved Kings, but I passed on a Tudor Black Bay there after reading this. I heard it in the watch community here, too.

If it rings true, the fees and fines alone may bankrupt them with a guilty verdict

Old 23 August 2019, 11:19 AM   #108
Bigbuckeye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve heard an out-of-state chain store is opening a location that will not be in Green Hills Mall. Was told it would be Boutique, but a store-in-store Boutique. Lee Michaels was the company this individual thought might be coming. We also lost Patek about two years ago, so maybe they’ll have both brands. Lee Michael’s has both at their San Antonio location. Who knows until it happens.
That’s our dealer here in Columbus Ohio....they will be your new dealer in Nashville....The Diamond Cellar
Bigbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:36 AM   #109
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckeye View Post
That’s our dealer here in Columbus Ohio....they will be your new dealer in Nashville....The Diamond Cellar

We need some new blood in town
Old 23 August 2019, 12:10 PM   #110
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I always disliked Kings.... so good riddance
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:22 PM   #111
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
The lady I dealt with at Kings was awful. Tried to tell me the Rolex I bought for my wife was not original (purchased from
The other local AD in middle Tennessee)

Mislead me on an appraisal as well.

Several months later had better results when I needed a oysterflex exchange.

Wingslogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:51 PM   #112
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Good to know Rolex didn’t abandon the Nashville market after all.

After reading the filing - and the charges - Rolex disassociating itself with Kings is a natural reaction.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:58 PM   #113
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Good to know Rolex didn’t abandon the Nashville market after all.

After reading the filing - and the charges - Rolex disassociating itself with Kings is a natural reaction.

‘Tis what I thought

Old 24 August 2019, 12:51 AM   #114
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

BNABOD thanks for the info about the new dealer in Nashville. We DO need some new blood in town.
Old 24 August 2019, 07:53 AM   #115
Nashville Retail
"TRF" Member

I was on a wait list with King since November for a GMT. It felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman. When asked about being on a list, they say Rolex doesn’t do lists. Then they let you on one. Asked them if they needed a deposit. They said no, Rolex won’t let us.

After Basel when the Batman was discontinued and put on a Jubilee I needed to switch to a new list... and they asked for a deposit. I gave it to them, but found them to be very odd asking for it after telling me before it was prohibited by Rolex.

They said in the spring they may be discontinuing as a Rolex AD but stressed they’d honor their customers on the waitlists with deposits. Then in early August they were no longer an AD. They said sorry, but we need to give you your deposit back and happy hunting. I was so frustrated after waiting nearly 8 months for a watch to be back at square one. This was my first Rolex and to celebrate a goal that took many years to accomplish.

Sorry, but I went to the Omega Boutique within a week and walked out with another watch I wanted to add to my collection. I’ll get the Rolex another day when there is a boutique in Nashville or I walk into a store and the watch is in the case.

And yes, Bell Jewelers in Murfreesboro is no longer an AD either. My guess is they are just too small, but King was a bit shady in my experience and it’s hard to not let it turn me off from Rolex too.
Nashville Retail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:16 AM   #116
Nashville Retail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

It’s based on median, not average, household income. It’s more accurate. Your point would be valid for average household income.
Nashville Retail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:25 AM   #117
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Retail View Post
I was on a wait list with King since November for a GMT. It felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman. When asked about being on a list, they say Rolex doesn’t do lists. Then they let you on one. Asked them if they needed a deposit. They said no, Rolex won’t let us.

After Basel when the Batman was discontinued and put on a Jubilee I needed to switch to a new list... and they asked for a deposit. I gave it to them, but found them to be very odd asking for it after telling me before it was prohibited by Rolex.

They said in the spring they may be discontinuing as a Rolex AD but stressed they’d honor their customers on the waitlists with deposits. Then in early August they were no longer an AD. They said sorry, but we need to give you your deposit back and happy hunting. I was so frustrated after waiting nearly 8 months for a watch to be back at square one. This was my first Rolex and to celebrate a goal that took many years to accomplish.

Sorry, but I went to the Omega Boutique within a week and walked out with another watch I wanted to add to my collection. I’ll get the Rolex another day when there is a boutique in Nashville or I walk into a store and the watch is in the case.

And yes, Bell Jewelers in Murfreesboro is no longer an AD either. My guess is they are just too small, but King was a bit shady in my experience and it’s hard to not let it turn me off from Rolex too.

Similar experience.

Can’t wait for a new AD to hit the town.

Old 24 August 2019, 11:33 AM   #118
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Retail View Post

I put half a blro down 2 days post Basel and that was over 1.5 years ago. Was numb 3 on the list . They never bothered to call me when they were no longer an AD. Even worse I was IN the store and only after asking about the ad status I brought up my deposit (5k) and they mentioned they would refund me. If I hadn’t asked it out not have been brought up ...sad
Old 20 September 2019, 12:06 AM   #119
Lpugliese
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
SirPolarbear I am in Nashville had my name at Kings for 1.5 year for a blro long story short showed up there two months ago or so and all the Rolex display was gone and so there went my blro...(note they never even bothered to call me to tell me they were done w Rolex or Rolex was done w them). Anyhow got my deposit back ....

I heard the same of a Rolex boutique opening but no idea of any firm plans

Really should be a Nashville GTG not sure if that even exists ....
Crazy they did not even let you know!
Lpugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:10 AM   #120
Lpugliese
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcash2 View Post
Have we confirmed Bells has lost their status? As of the other it was still online but I haven’t checked and feel too rude to call or ask?

They have in fact lost theirs. I went in there about a month ago.
Lpugliese is offline   Reply With Quote