The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 August 2019, 07:14 PM   #91
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnlee View Post
LOL I love your feedback bro...thanks a lot....

Unlucky me too much in love with bigger watch.
I must admit my first thought was “that’s enormous!” but I have to say that it also looks pretty fantastic.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:05 PM   #92
MSchu
Banned

Indeed.... the DJ41 is an awesome piece
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:15 PM   #93
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I think DJ41 is a must for people with larger wrists. On my 7.5 inch wrist it looks like a 36 would on average wrist. And unlike the DJ II the proportions are good. It looks like a larger DJ36, which is great if you have larger wrists. If you have normal or smaller wrists, 36 is better.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:18 PM   #94
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

41 all the way
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:52 PM   #95
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlong View Post
They made the 41 because women were rockin the 36. So as Arnold would say, "the 36 is a girly watch".
One should not select a watch because women are making poor choices.
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:57 PM   #96
Brew
"TRF" Member

The “girly” comments are silly. Here’s a 36mm on a 7.5” wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:58 PM   #97
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

I have looked at every photo in this thread, and at least to my eye only one picture featuring a DJ41 didn't make me think "he would look better if that watch were a little bit smaller"
Old 24 August 2019, 12:01 AM   #98
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
I have looked at every photo in this thread, and at least to my eye only one picture featuring a DJ41 didn't make me think "he would look better if that watch were a little bit smaller"
Here's my favorite picture of my DJ41. I think it wouldn't be better if it's DJ36.
Old 24 August 2019, 12:04 AM   #99
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Here's my favorite picture of my DJ41. I think it wouldn't be better if it's DJ36.
Agreed. That's not a bad size on you, as you look to be a pretty big guy and can handle it.

That said, given the aesthetic of the DJ, I personally think it's better to err on the side of slightly smaller as opposed to slightly larger. It's "truer" to the function of the watch imo. Alternatively, with something like a dive watch, for example, I feel the opposite.
Old 24 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #100
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
Agreed. That's not a bad size on you, as you look to be a pretty big guy and can handle it.

That said, given the aesthetic of the DJ, I personally think it's better to err on the side of slightly smaller as opposed to slightly larger. It's "truer" to the function of the watch imo. Alternatively, with something like a dive watch, for example, I feel the opposite.
Funny thing is that I'm actually short. 5'7", but I have large wrists so I can easily pull off larger watches although I do agree I prefer smaller sized watches. I think DD40 sized DJ would be a perfect size for me as 36 is too small for me and the 41 which is 39.5 is slightly on the bigger side, but definitely fine. DD40 is 38.7 IIRC and feels like a perfect size for a dressy watch.
Old 24 August 2019, 12:15 AM   #101
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I find the DJ36 a tad too small and DJ41 a tad too big. a DJ38 or 39 would be perfect.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 04:54 AM   #102
ravnwood
"TRF" Member

I just measured my DJ41 and indeed it's only about 39mm. What gives?

The Datejust II has a noticeably larger bezel and case, so my guess is that they sized it down slightly but kept the dial and crystal the same size, so they market it as a 41.

Still, it fits my 7.5" wrist nicely and doesn't seem too big. Makes me think that choosing the DJ41 over the clunkier DJII was a wise option. I could probably rock a 36mm just as easily. A guy at work has my same watch in 36mm (w/o diamonds) and I can't really tell the difference from a distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1-.jpg (205.0 KB, 642 views)
ravnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:54 AM   #103
droso
"TRF" Member

My 36mm DJ is just about ok on my 7" wrist. It's a great size for dressing smart
droso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:56 AM   #104
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklam View Post
The concealed clasp is a big plus for the 36
The clasp on the 41 jubilee is without a doubt my biggest complaint. It sucks frankly and nothing more than a lazy cost cutting measure... simply said. Actually I think the entire watch feels very value engineered and subpar for its price point. My older Rolexes do not feel this way. I can point out many attributes that support this cost cutting in this watch. My old 36 felt far more luxurious and substantial. The 41 one ‘looks’ the part, but it absolutely doesn’t feel the part. Feels like a toy watch. That’s not to say I don’t love it. It’s just saying that Rolex is definitely value engineering their newer watches and passing the smoke onto its customers.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:11 AM   #105
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

36 mm is the icon.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:33 AM   #106
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
The clasp on the 41 jubilee is without a doubt my biggest complaint. It sucks frankly and nothing more than a lazy cost cutting measure... simply said. Actually I think the entire watch feels very value engineered and subpar for its price point. My older Rolexes do not feel this way. I can point out many attributes that support this cost cutting in this watch. My old 36 felt far more luxurious and substantial. The 41 one ‘looks’ the part, but it absolutely doesn’t feel the part. Feels like a toy watch. That’s not to say I don’t love it. It’s just saying that Rolex is definitely value engineering their newer watches and passing the smoke onto its customers.
The new 36 also has no concealed clasp. I am for one happy my 41 has a non concealed clasp. Microadjustments are a must for me. Until Rolex engineers them into concealed clasps, concealed clasps are way worse. I tried on a DD40 on a cold winters day and it felt perfect with no links removed/added. Then I tried one on on a warm summer day, same exact watch and I realized I wouldn't be able to wear it. I wish more manufacturers did something like what VC did with Overseas.
Old 24 August 2019, 06:55 AM   #107
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
Tried on both a 36 and 41 today. Realizing the 36 is the classic size and because I’m thinking fluted/jubilee (going more for a dressy look) I really wanted the 36 to work on my 7” wrist. While mentally I know it does work, I’m so accustomed to wearing 40-42 that 36 felt really small and I kept looking at it trying to get used to it but couldn’t.

I’m with others who would like a 38mm option.

That said, I’ll be back trying on some more 36mm over the weekend trying to decide whether to go new blue-dialed 126234 or an older Day Date and I’m hoping to get a little more comfortable with the size difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:56 AM   #108
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The new 36 also has no concealed clasp. I am for one happy my 41 has a non concealed clasp. Microadjustments are a must for me. Until Rolex engineers them into concealed clasps, concealed clasps are way worse. I tried on a DD40 on a cold winters day and it felt perfect with no links removed/added. Then I tried one on on a warm summer day, same exact watch and I realized I wouldn't be able to wear it. I wish more manufacturers did something like what VC did with Overseas.
Agree and that’s a very valid concern but the clasp design doesn’t even work on the Jubilee whatsoever from a simple aesthetic perspective. It’s ugly. It’s lazy and Rolex is known to be a lot better than that. It’s a bad excuse on their part IMHO.

Old 24 August 2019, 07:30 AM   #109
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Agree and that’s a very valid concern but the clasp design doesn’t even work on the Jubilee whatsoever from a simple aesthetic perspective. It’s ugly. It’s lazy and Rolex is known to be a lot better than that. It’s a bad excuse on their part IMHO.
Looks are always subjective. I don't like really old Jubilees with tin clasps, but prefer the modern Jubilee with Oyster clasp over hidden clasp. To me it probably makes it more symmetrical. You have a watch and a clasp on the opposite side. Makes sense. Although I definitely understand people who, like you, would prefer a hidden clasp.
Old 24 August 2019, 07:33 AM   #110
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looks are always subjective. I don't like really old Jubilees with tin clasps, but prefer the modern Jubilee with Oyster clasp over hidden clasp. To me it probably makes it more symmetrical. You have a watch and a clasp on the opposite side. Makes sense. Although I definitely understand people who, like you, would prefer a hidden clasp.
I hear you, all very valid. In the end I absolutely love the watch and it's a beautiful piece.

Old 24 August 2019, 08:32 AM   #111
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
But the DJ 41 is just a hair over 39mm...not 41mm....you are aware of that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2584 3.jpg (114.9 KB, 642 views)
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 09:27 AM   #112
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
My first Rolex was the DJ36 16234 and I absolutely love it. It is slightly more dressy than the larger models but the look is so timeless. It is also significantly lighter on the wrist (think half the weight of my SubC). It also fits under a dress shirt cuff flawlessly. The jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel are just beautiful. Mine doesn’t have the hidden clasp but that is amazing looking.

For me the DJ36 is a more formal watch and the sport models are for every day wear. I think the Day Date 36 is also super iconic.

Try both on and see what speaks to you. Wrist size does come into play.

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:07 AM   #113
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
IMG_2551.JPG

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 07:21 PM   #114
Tampabay92
"TRF" Member

Depends on yourself.

I had the opportunity to choose between 41 and 36. I went with 36 because it just felt right with the DJ and for my wrist. The sport watches though are a story story. I was looking at the yacht master, and I wouldn’t have been able to do the smaller size on that watch. Guess it depends on how you feel.
Tampabay92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #115
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
DJ41 measures to 39.8mm

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 03:23 AM   #116
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Can't do a 36. Looks too small on me.
36 past and present have way better dials though.
I'm the opposite. Can't do 41. So its 36 everyday.

The reality is, you should buy a watch proportional to the size of your wrist and being. We're lucky the 36 and 41 both co-exist, so there is something for everyone
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #117
Eph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
I must admit my first thought was “that’s enormous!” but I have to say that it also looks pretty fantastic.
I have to agree! It's gorgeous, but seems too big for my idea of what a Datejust should be... but who am I to decide! If you love it, wear it!
Eph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 12:23 PM   #118
RotorSelfWinding
"TRF" Member

I had a BB41 for a while. It just didn't feel right. 36 for me. It's a little small I guess but it looks great.
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 03:01 PM   #119
KyloRen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV Hulk
I wish they made 39mm DJ. As it is 36mm is too small for me and 41mm is a tad too big. Give choice, id still go with 41mm DJ with fluted bezel.
KyloRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 04:59 PM   #120
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyloRen View Post
I wish they made 39mm DJ. As it is 36mm is too small for me and 41mm is a tad too big. Give choice, id still go with 41mm DJ with fluted bezel.

The DJ41 is actually 39.5mm. It has been verified on the forums many times. The older DJII is 41mm.

So congratulations, Rolex makes your perfect watch after all. Cheers!!!

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote