The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 August 2019, 11:03 AM   #1
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Perception of Grand Seikos?

I have to admit, I am a fan of many GS. How are they generally perceived by other members on this forum and watch collectors? They seem to be built like tanks but also very nice looking. I imagine there will be huge demand in the coming years once others get wind of the bang for the buck. Thoughts?
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
They make fantastic watches for travel and for shady areas.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The guy over at Watchfinder & Co just recently said "Grand Seiko's time is soon..I can feel it," and although that might be a sales pitch for his GS stock, I think a lot of people feel like GS is due a broader fan base. Interest in the brand is way up over what it was two years ago, though, that's for sure. And rightly so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKRnMus0V74
Old 12 August 2019, 11:12 AM   #4
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Can't go wrong with a GS. Most of the recent dial configurations are off the charts. Even the "vintage" stuff is can't-miss.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 11:18 AM   #5
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko are absolutely amazing -
I bit hard on the hook, and it enamored me to Seiko as well..

the "value for dollar" value proposition is something I interpret as respect for the customer, and very Japanese in its modesty and honorable effort to please.

My only fear is that in an effort to be respected as a 'Veblen" item, they may raise the rices too quickly, and risk losing the value proposition - one of their greatest strengths..

I can appreciate the R&D, and the new design, and the dial, and the titanium with the "tokyo lion".. but the price really shocked me...

I hope that it blows me away in person, because I had it as a "must buy" expecting a more modest price...

of course, price wise, one could argue it is finally asking its worth... but the "more for less" was a big part of its draw as a brand.
Old 12 August 2019, 11:23 AM   #6
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
They need more respect imo in the WIS world. Amazing value and incredible watches.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 11:10 AM   #7
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Not sure if this makes sense but here goes...I've never handled a GS but they sure seem like they can handle their own against anything Swiss. When the Japanese started producing Acuras, Infinities, and Lexus, people said that we wouldn't spend that kind of money on a Japanese car when you could buy a MB, Audi, or BMW for the same amount of money. After a few years people started buying the high end Japanese cars and never looked back. Not quite sure why this same logic never translated to watches.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 11:51 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The guy over at Watchfinder & Co just recently said "Grand Seiko's time is soon..I can feel it," and although that might be a sales pitch for his GS stock, I think a lot of people feel like GS is due a broader fan base. Interest in the brand is way up over what it was two years ago, though, that's for sure. And rightly so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKRnMus0V74
they are hard to find. Once i finally tried a few on at the boutique in London i was impressed. Well not the first time, but after going back a few times i finally got it.

Houston fairly recently got an AD... but its in a mall AD and displayed horribly. So i dont know what they are doing as thats just reinforcing the stereotype

I absolutely would rather have a GS diver than a sub
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:59 PM   #9
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i absolutely would rather have a gs diver than a sub
+1
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 01:39 PM   #10
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Best dials and hands in watchmaking.

The polishing on the hands and the angles they achieve are unbelievable even under magnification.
Old 16 August 2019, 01:41 PM   #11
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
I have to admit, I am a fan of many GS. How are they generally perceived by other members on this forum and watch collectors? They seem to be built like tanks but also very nice looking. I imagine there will be huge demand in the coming years once others get wind of the bang for the buck. Thoughts?
All that matters is if you like the watches. That’s it. Research the brand, and if you find virtue, than buy one
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 01:55 PM   #12
Runny Eggs
"TRF" Member

I think the brand is pretty soft right now, to be honest. Swiss enthusiasts think it's a joke, geeks think its too closely juxtaposed to the cheaper Seiko branding, and Joe on the street will just ask why didn't you buy a Rolex instead?

That said, I think it will one day be recognized for the quality in design and construction that it deserves, as well as its significance to horology. And 2019 has been a really great year, with its nature-inspired designs and stunning dials. I think eventually GS will be known as that brand with the great dials, if nothing else.

Right now GS is in the right spot by being extremely limited in its production -- 35k a year, according to reports. I think it could improve it's marketing, tho, with better social media engagement and branding of specific pieces (everything is just reference numbers right now, which is cool for us geeks, but not the larger public).
Runny Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Not sure if this makes sense but here goes...I've never handled a GS but they sure seem like they can handle their own against anything Swiss. When the Japanese started producing Acuras, Infinities, and Lexus, people said that we wouldn't spend that kind of money on a Japanese car when you could buy a MB, Audi, or BMW for the same amount of money. After a few years people started buying the high end Japanese cars and never looked back. Not quite sure why this same logic never translated to watches.
I think it’s translating now.

For whatever reason, the Japanese market kept this marvel largely to themselves in decades past.

Whether due to a need to reach other markets, there has been a vigorous push lately.

Whatever it is, GS truly makes wonderful watches. I think theyre priced just right.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 02:32 PM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Even in the non watch geek circles i find myself in, when they see me wearing a nice seiko watch, the common next question is - is that a grand seiko? And this happens even if am not wearing a GS.

So i guess there is awareness that there is a nicer seiko brand out there.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 07:48 PM   #15
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
5 years ago I had not seen a GS, I went to Leeds to buy a Rolex Sub, as I walked to the Rolex dealer I looked in a window of the only GS dealer in the UK (At that time), I was curious and went in to have a look, I bought a Hi Beat and a quartz there and then. I didn't have enough money for a sub so had to save up again for a year or two until I could afford and buy a new Rolex sub, but that's what I did.

After 5 years, I still have both GS but sold the Sub, it just wasn't getting the wrist time. I dont miss the Sub but would either of my GS.

I have been in the Rolex AD in Leeds a couple of times, the man there said, "we like to see people who come in wearing Grand Seiko's, it shows they know about watches." Which is a nice compliment but not strictly true in my case.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 08:48 PM   #16
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
My perception of grand seiko owners is theyre sensible buyers who value quality above all
My guess is more gs owners are WIS than rolex owners - percentage wise
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 11:11 PM   #17
MSchu
Banned

Grand Seiko... hand made/hand finished... complete vertical integration... diehard fan base... small production numbers... reasonable pricing.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 11:15 PM   #18
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runny Eggs View Post
I think the brand is pretty soft right now, to be honest. Swiss enthusiasts think it's a joke, geeks think its too closely juxtaposed to the cheaper Seiko branding, and Joe on the street will just ask why didn't you buy a Rolex instead?
The only part of this that is somewhat accurate is the part about Joe.

Compared to huge Swiss brands, sure GS as a brand is relatively soft. You can't compare brands from the Swiss industry that have been marketing themselves to death for fifty years to GS which has been sold internationally for a decade.

GS as a brand has never been stronger. Geeks as you call them do not think it's anywhere near standard Seiko branded watches. We are the ones who are buying them. They are getting attention from places like Hodinkee and other watch sites in a way they never have before.

Joe on the street doesn't know what Grand Seiko.
Old 16 August 2019, 11:17 PM   #19
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
5 years ago I had not seen a GS, I went to Leeds to buy a Rolex Sub, as I walked to the Rolex dealer I looked in a window of the only GS dealer in the UK (At that time), I was curious and went in to have a look, I bought a Hi Beat and a quartz there and then. I didn't have enough money for a sub so had to save up again for a year or two until I could afford and buy a new Rolex sub, but that's what I did.

After 5 years, I still have both GS but sold the Sub, it just wasn't getting the wrist time. I dont miss the Sub but would either of my GS.

I have been in the Rolex AD in Leeds a couple of times, the man there said, "we like to see people who come in wearing Grand Seiko's, it shows they know about watches." Which is a nice compliment but not strictly true in my case.

Lol, terrible comment for someone to make, regarding what they wear relative to what they know.....what a presumptuous act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 11:36 PM   #20
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnbne View Post
My perception of grand seiko owners is theyre sensible buyers who value quality above all
My guess is more gs owners are WIS than rolex owners - percentage wise
I would agree with this.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 02:09 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1111 View Post
Lol, terrible comment for someone to make, regarding what they wear relative to what they know.....what a presumptuous act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there is such a thing as a WIS brand. Rolex attracts all types and most are not WIS. Just hang out in an AD if you dont believe me. Its a ton of "i just want an expensive watch" types.

GS, ALS, Moser, FPJ to name a few are far more likely to be high information buyers

its the pitfall of mass market vs a more niche brand
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #22
Wpalmer03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, SBGA211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runny Eggs View Post
Joe on the street will just ask why didn't you buy a Rolex instead?
I don't expect Joe to know anything beyond Rolex and that's ok. That's part of the allure for me. I honestly say that with as little pretense as possible.
Wpalmer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:15 AM   #23
kijoe
"TRF" Member

I’ve familiarizing myself with GS lately by reading and watching reviews, but I must say they impressed me even more when I got myself to see them in person. The details, finish and dials are absolutely stunning for the price.

The very small gripes I have is that most of the models are quite thick (for me) and the bracelets in design are not up to par with the dials.

I do not yet own a GS, but I definitely planning to.
kijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:50 AM   #24
MSchu
Banned

All this talk and it seems to center around aesthetics... and not movement. The Seiko Hi-Beat is awesome... and even the 4Hz movement is insanely accurate. Dont get me started on Spring Drive, it is on another level of accuracy.

GS needs to work on the bracelet a little bit as their straps are already there in terms of quality.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 07:01 AM   #25
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
They make fantastic watches for travel and for shady areas.
Really
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 04:27 PM   #26
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
All this talk and it seems to center around aesthetics... and not movement. The Seiko Hi-Beat is awesome... and even the 4Hz movement is insanely accurate. Dont get me started on Spring Drive, it is on another level of accuracy.

GS needs to work on the bracelet a little bit as their straps are already there in terms of quality.
Movement from Micro Artist Studio has one of the best finishing in the world, that includes any Patek, on par with Dufour.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 04:57 PM   #27
matt009au
"TRF" Member

I've had two Grand Seiko watches one automatic and one quartz. Both very well made albeit I wish the automatic was as thin as the quartz.

The automatic was a basic sbgr001 that I picked up in the mid 2000s, I had it serviced a year or two ago and to my surprise it had to go back to Japan for 3 or 4 months and the service cost as much as my VC overseas... for some reason I thought it would be cheaper! When it returned it kept horrible time. They offered for it to go back to japan again but I ended up just selling it.

I liked the quartz model much better to be honest. I want to say it was an sbgx259?? Sorry bad memory, white dial 37mm with date. The white dial has a wonderful porcelain/enamel sort of look with the indices and text embossed and raised over the surface. Stunningly accurate. However, it would be nice if they updated the movement with some of the nice features of the citizen chronomaster, in particular perpetual calendar, and independent hour hand setting.

Right now I've had my fill of the gs. Great watches, but they don't get the blood going any more. I think the little quartz is my favorite of what they do.
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:12 PM   #28
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Just for fun, some pics of my two gs. Plus another under rated watch from Japan, the citizen chronomaster - quite impressive with paper dial, ti case, 5 second a year accuracy, with perpetual calendar function - maybe they should market it as grand citizen...

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:00 PM   #29
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I had Grand Seiko on my short list for the longest time. It's hard 'experimenting' with a $6K watch. Well, I recently pulled the trigger on a hi beat and absolutely love the watch. It's at par with any Rolex DJ SS if not actually better. It's a masterpiece and a hugely underrated watch. Its details and presence, experience on the wrist is phenomenal. Photos do not due justice at all - it's a in-person watch.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 07:47 PM   #30
Wools
"TRF" Member

I adore Seiko and my first ever watch I purchased for myself was a £120 Seiko, more money than I had ever spent on a watch when I was 21!

Now I've experimented with a few watches, I still admit the Grand Seiko line does little for me with their current line up. However, I class the Grand Seiko Snowflake as one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen with the most beautiful dial.

When someone says Grand Seiko, I immediatly think of the Snowflake and count down the days till I can own one! :)
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote