The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2019, 10:29 PM   #31
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Patek, AP, Vacheron and now Lange are Hight Horology, no doubt about it, but in my wrist always a Rolex watch, because my admiration for the brand is almost spiritual. I would love to have in my safe a Vacheron, Patek or AP, but in a daily bases My SD43.

I agreed with you than a AP in 25K and a Hulk in the same GRAY price is ridiculous!!!! A hulk is a 9K watch, period.

I enjoy your video very much.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:08 PM   #32
DGB
"TRF" Member

If you compare both watches side by side, you’ll see immediately the quality level of AP.
The finish, the bracelet catching the light, the movement are at a much high level than the Sub.

The strength of the Sub is with the brand Rolex, immediately recognisable, robust and reliable, excellent buy but not at twice the retail price IMO.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the Royal Oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:12 PM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i prefer the AP

However i would never compare the two head to head. I cant imagine a situation when it would be between those two watches as they are apples and oranges
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #34
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
First off, great video as usual!

Paying the same inflated prices for a Rolex over the AP to me would be crazy, I'd take the AP everyday. That said, I believe some experience with other brands first might help someone appreciate the AP more fully.

On to my potential dilemma...Ive currently got a Rolex SD4K which I wear daily and am very keen to get a RO 15450 however I'd have to give up the Sea Dweller! Currently, I likely cannot afford to keep both watches with other financial commitments on the horizon. Would you step it up on the basis that the AP would become an everyday watch (mostly an office job!)?
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 09:16 PM   #35
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
If you compare both watches side by side, you’ll see immediately the quality level of AP.
The finish, the bracelet catching the light, the movement are at a much high level than the Sub.

The strength of the Sub is with the brand Rolex, immediately recognisable, robust and reliable, excellent buy but not at twice the retail price IMO.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the Royal Oak.

Completely agreed. Nothing is as recognisable as Rolex. Even the people who are not into watches know Rolex. AP - not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
Patek, AP, Vacheron and now Lange are Hight Horology, no doubt about it, but in my wrist always a Rolex watch, because my admiration for the brand is almost spiritual. I would love to have in my safe a Vacheron, Patek or AP, but in a daily bases My SD43.

I agreed with you than a AP in 25K and a Hulk in the same GRAY price is ridiculous!!!! A hulk is a 9K watch, period.

I enjoy your video very much.

Sd43 is a beautiful watch and that red lettering makes it very special too. Hulk is beautiful too but yeah, not at current prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Not a big fan of the green sub, so Ap for the win win.

With you on this; although I do love hulk too
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
First off, great video as usual!

Paying the same inflated prices for a Rolex over the AP to me would be crazy, I'd take the AP everyday. That said, I believe some experience with other brands first might help someone appreciate the AP more fully.

On to my potential dilemma...Ive currently got a Rolex SD4K which I wear daily and am very keen to get a RO 15450 however I'd have to give up the Sea Dweller! Currently, I likely cannot afford to keep both watches with other financial commitments on the horizon. Would you step it up on the basis that the AP would become an everyday watch (mostly an office job!)?

Very true. If you jump straight into AP; you won’t realise what is all the fine details you’re getting. You have to make your way taking every step through the brands so you appreciate horological ladder as you climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i prefer the AP

However i would never compare the two head to head. I cant imagine a situation when it would be between those two watches as they are apples and oranges

I know. This comparison really is due to grey prices of Rolex hitting very close or surpassing AP prices. Not exactly for hulk as yet but panda Daytona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjack88 View Post
Both beautiful and functional in their own way! Hope to had the chance to own an AP in the future! Great video by the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much. All the best - you won’t be disappointed when you acquire one.

Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 09:39 PM   #36
Zkydweller
"TRF" Member

Really great video, thank you

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Zkydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 09:48 PM   #37
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I had a RO but got frustrated with the ease of picking up scratches on what I treated as a dress watch. Also, the frequency and cost of service (and it’s convenience) was offputting. The ruggedness of the Rolex wins out for me though the finish of the AP is quite superior. I very much agree that the inflated gray market prices of many Rolex models is out of line with what I perceive as their “value”.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:59 PM   #38
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I had a RO but got frustrated with the ease of picking up scratches on what I treated as a dress watch. Also, the frequency and cost of service (and it’s convenience) was offputting. The ruggedness of the Rolex wins out for me though the finish of the AP is quite superior. I very much agree that the inflated gray market prices of many Rolex models is out of line with what I perceive as their “value”.

Rolex is rugged I agree. But I’m not sure why were you getting scratches often. I’ve been wearing my APs for more than a year without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkydweller View Post
Really great video, thank you

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Thanks so much.

Old 21 August 2019, 12:02 AM   #39
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
[QUOTE=Horolojust;9913704]Rolex is rugged I agree. But I’m not sure why were you getting scratches often. I’ve been wearing my APs for more than a year without any issues.

I guess I'm just less careful than I should be -- when I had the RO I was at a desk job too!
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:05 AM   #40
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Both timeless icons
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:23 AM   #41
joyfultrade
"TRF" Member

Beautiful!!
joyfultrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:36 AM   #42
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinkinfo View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree. The other poster is definitly correct, the AP is not a sports watch, these are apples and oranges. No rotating bezel, tiny thin hands, thin case, there's nothing 'sports' about it. If it was an ap driver, it would be more direct.

And if detail differences can only really be seen under a loop, I'm a bit unsure if they are all that important.

Both really nice watches obviously, but I don't get the comparison.
Joined 8 years ago and this is the first post....

I need to know the story behind this.
Old 21 August 2019, 02:02 AM   #43
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

It’s defin Ap
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:12 AM   #44
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

own both, rarely put on the 116610
gonna flip + $ for a PM or ROO
andrewjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:50 AM   #45
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Wonderfully shot video and great commentary. Thanks for sharing.

I do agree with some in that it's tough to compare these watches. I would say both of these watches make for great additions to a particular collection but head to head they simply are not comparable.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:40 AM   #46
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
The comparison is about people willing to pay more than two times the price for Rolex, which then enters the price category where you can buy AP, so why not.

You are entitled to your opinion mate, but truth is that they AP are sports watch, not dress.
Hi Hafiz, nice video!
However, your point above doesn't make sense now that given the availability of AP RO and it's after-market price. It's after-market price puts you in the Rolex PM class and I would rather go for Rolex PM any day, any time!
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:47 AM   #47
liveralone
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great comparison. Thanks for posting.
liveralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:54 AM   #48
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Rolex Vs AP - Sub vs RO

I recently was on the fence regarding the Daytona, and the ROC.

I was considering selling my Daytona to buya ROC, but in the end, The Daytona won due to its more rugged design (not A scratch magnet) , and as others have said the RO has a fragile movement comparatively.
Something else that was offputting was the manufactured modular chronograph in the AP. I know it is probably a fantastic work of art on the inside, but I prefer the tried and true Rolex 4130 in house more. I’m tough on my gear.

One more thing is history. The Rolex Daytona, and Rolex sports models In general, all seem to have been designed for a certain task. A tool for a spot/job, and since it was on the wrist of so many iconic people as they did those sports, or jobs, Rolex became more than just a good-looking time piece, but a time piece that has written its name in the history books. I think The stigma of owning such a piece Is alluring more people.

When a watch enthusiast looks at a Sea-Dweller may have thoughts of its design, and maybe the Comex days, Pepsi=PanAm, Daytona= racing Heritage!
AP on the other hand really only has one watch when it comes to popularity, and that is the RO, ROO; However, w/ AP you get a stylistic design that led to its fame, though very outside of the box when introduced. Also a very high level of attention to detail. Overall the watch is more cerebral, and carried out in an artisanal fashion, vs built for a task.

So two very different watches, built for two very different purposes. Luckily both tell time

Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:28 PM   #49
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli4life View Post
I recently was on the fence regarding the Daytona, and the ROC.

I was considering selling my Daytona to buya ROC, but in the end, The Daytona won due to its more rugged design (not A scratch magnet) , and as others have said the RO has a fragile movement comparatively.
Something else that was offputting was the manufactured modular chronograph in the AP. I know it is probably a fantastic work of art on the inside, but I prefer the tried and true Rolex 4130 in house more. I’m tough on my gear.

One more thing is history. The Rolex Daytona, and Rolex sports models In general, all seem to have been designed for a certain task. A tool for a spot/job, and since it was on the wrist of so many iconic people as they did those sports, or jobs, Rolex became more than just a good-looking time piece, but a time piece that has written its name in the history books. I think The stigma of owning such a piece Is alluring more people.

When a watch enthusiast looks at a Sea-Dweller may have thoughts of its design, and maybe the Comex days, Pepsi=PanAm, Daytona= racing Heritage!
AP on the other hand really only has one watch when it comes to popularity, and that is the RO, ROO; However, w/ AP you get a stylistic design that led to its fame, though very outside of the box when introduced. Also a very high level of attention to detail. Overall the watch is more cerebral, and carried out in an artisanal fashion, vs built for a task.

So two very different watches, built for two very different purposes. Luckily both tell time

Thanks so much for sharing the details. And I agree; Rolex are better overall when it comes to day to day use. APs are good, but like you say, Rolex have stood the test of times and have proven to be actually the most reliable ones.

You can’t go wrong with Daytona so congrats on your choice :)
ROC not having in-house is also a little debatable contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasanimation View Post
Great comparison. Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much for watching. :)

Old 21 August 2019, 08:39 PM   #50
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Didn’t watch the video but AP RO for sure.

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:39 PM   #51
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Nothing new, AP another level
Thank you for your time!

^^^this^^^

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:11 PM   #52
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Not a fan of Maxi/Super case, so AP is my vote...

Watch Lover
Old 21 August 2019, 09:27 PM   #53
Mlioon
"TRF" Member

Having owned several of both brands, my opinion, for what it’s worth: I like the way AP looks better and there is something to be said about the way it makes you feel when it’s on your wrist. From a functionality view point, I have found Rolex to be much more comfortable and durable, AP scratches so easily. I have sold/traded a ROO 44 panda, AP Diver, and RO 41 for various Rolex models. I also do not like how if you are between link sizes in AP your only option is a horribly ugly 1.5 size link, or gain/lose weight. I think I’m going to give Patek a try in 2 years for my next milestone birthday.
Mlioon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:28 PM   #54
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfultrade View Post
Beautiful!!

Thanks so much for watching :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureCoconut View Post
Both timeless icons

Indeed. Love them both and not flipping either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Joined 8 years ago and this is the first post....

I need to know the story behind this.

Ha ha. Good catch. I need to know too.

[QUOTE=fsprow;9913712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
Rolex is rugged I agree. But I’m not sure why were you getting scratches often. I’ve been wearing my APs for more than a year without any issues.

I guess I'm just less careful than I should be -- when I had the RO I was at a desk job too!

I do the desk job too but I’m wearing mine even at house, cooking, washing dishes etc. But I’m very conscious and careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Wonderfully shot video and great commentary. Thanks for sharing.

I do agree with some in that it's tough to compare these watches. I would say both of these watches make for great additions to a particular collection but head to head they simply are not comparable.

Thanks so much for watching and the feedback. I agree; they don’t quite compare; it’s just the grey prices for Rolex that I was comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1111 View Post
Didn’t watch the video but AP RO for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finestdealer View Post
It’s defin Ap

For me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjoo7 View Post
own both, rarely put on the 116610
gonna flip + $ for a PM or ROO

I don’t wear my LV either. But think I’ll keep it. Good luck. ROO is love.

I’m lusting 44mm camo.

Old 21 August 2019, 11:11 PM   #55
finestdealer
"TRF" Member

Ap for sure it’s awesome
finestdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:42 PM   #56
iheartrolexx
Banned

had to go with the AP in this case
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:06 PM   #57
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finestdealer View Post
Ap for sure it’s awesome

Sure is. Thanks for watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartrolexx View Post
had to go with the AP in this case

Never been a bad day with AP on

Old 22 August 2019, 10:00 PM   #58
joyfultrade
"TRF" Member

AP for sure.
joyfultrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:26 PM   #59
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

I really don't like AP. And it is true that it's really a watch you could see Dirk Diggler wearing in Boogie Nights! So 70's man, the King Midas and the Oysterquartz are in the same design category.... As for finish: Grand Seiko does better for way less money.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:39 AM   #60
Mike Jab
Banned

Are you comparing the Sub (male's watch) to a 15450 (female's watch)?
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote