The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 January 2021, 06:31 PM   #1
rolexgirl1998
"TRF" Member

Watch: ref. 116613LN
Best Vintage Rolex To Buy Today?

Thinking it's time for me to get a new watch, I try to get 1-2 a year and I am having a hard time picking between the submariner 16610 or the day-date 18238. I know I know, both couldn't be more different. Anyone have any opinions about the watches themselves other than the fact that one is a daily watch and the other is a dress watch? Thanks in advance.
rolexgirl1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:39 PM   #2
Woody
"TRF" Member

I think they are both "daily" watches. I personally prefer the 16610, but as you say that you usually buy 1-2 watches a year then surely the question is which do you buy first? They are at different price points so will likely depend on what watch becomes available first and what else you have in your collection. Good examples of the 16610 appear to be increasing in price fairly rapidly so that might be a factor to consider.....but you should buy what you like. Good luck with your decision.
Woody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:03 PM   #3
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Good choices! Both great watches but if I were you I would look at the 118238 instead, you will with that model get a heavier and full solid gold DD. It’s incredible well built!
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:12 PM   #4
athom
"TRF" Member

Best Vintage Rolex To Buy Today?

Depends what you have, depends what you like...
Old 18 January 2021, 01:33 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Whatever will give you more joy? It's entirely a question of personal preference. Since those aren't really vintage IMO, they should be easy enough to find.
Old 18 January 2021, 01:50 AM   #6
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
With 2 watches a year sounds like you're starting a collection, so depends of what you already have. 5 digits in great condition are not hard to find and both reference are a must in any collection.
It is a matter of personal preference and personally I will go for a nice gold Day-date now, perfect winter-time watch, and I will leave the Sub for the spring/summer
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:29 AM   #7
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
buy the watch you love looking at, because you will be doing so ever hour. Buy the painting you love, not the one that matches your couch. Never buy a muscle car and settle with an autotragic transmission. Always go manual. Buy a smaller home nearer to bars and subways, rather than oversized house in the sticks. This is my unsolicited buying advice to all.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:41 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
buy the watch you love looking at, because you will be doing so ever hour. Buy the painting you love, not the one that matches your couch. Never buy a muscle car and settle with an autotragic transmission. Always go manual. Buy a smaller home nearer to bars and subways, rather than oversized house in the sticks. This is my unsolicited buying advice to all.
Old 18 January 2021, 03:16 AM   #9
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Quote:
I did everything right except the painting
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:34 AM   #10
rolexgirl1998
"TRF" Member

Very true, I have seen the 16610 increasing in price as well. I am even seeing some now selling over 10k. Might be a good idea to get this model now and before the prices keep increasing. Thanks for the input!
Old 18 January 2021, 08:35 AM   #11
rolexgirl1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I think they are both "daily" watches. I personally prefer the 16610, but as you say that you usually buy 1-2 watches a year then surely the question is which do you buy first? They are at different price points so will likely depend on what watch becomes available first and what else you have in your collection. Good examples of the 16610 appear to be increasing in price fairly rapidly so that might be a factor to consider.....but you should buy what you like. Good luck with your decision.
Very true, I have seen the 16610 increasing in price as well. I am even seeing some now selling over 10k. Might be a good idea to get this model now and before the prices keep increasing. Thanks for the input!
Old 18 January 2021, 08:40 AM   #12
rolexgirl1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumare View Post
With 2 watches a year sounds like you're starting a collection, so depends of what you already have. 5 digits in great condition are not hard to find and both reference are a must in any collection.
It is a matter of personal preference and personally I will go for a nice gold Day-date now, perfect winter-time watch, and I will leave the Sub for the spring/summer
That makes a lot of sense. I agree that the 18238 will be a better winter watch. I am more active in the summers so I know an all gold watch will scratch too much for me to feel safe wearing it all the time in the summer. Thanks so much!
Old 18 January 2021, 09:22 AM   #13
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I'd go for the Day-Date. It's technically a dress watch but really goes with anything. I'm wearing my WG 1803 DD right now with a rugby shirt and sweatpants.

I wouldn't worry too much about scratching. I've had mine for almost 10 years, and the only scratches are on the crystal. And I don't baby it.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:42 PM   #14
rolexgirl1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I'd go for the Day-Date. It's technically a dress watch but really goes with anything. I'm wearing my WG 1803 DD right now with a rugby shirt and sweatpants.

I wouldn't worry too much about scratching. I've had mine for almost 10 years, and the only scratches are on the crystal. And I don't baby it.
That's actually great to know because I don't baby any of my watches! Thanks.
Old 18 January 2021, 02:07 PM   #15
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I’ve never owned a gold watch. They are really heavy and fascinating
Old 18 January 2021, 03:28 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve never owned a gold watch. They are really heavy and fascinating
Gold isn't that heavy in the smaller volumes involved in a watch, particularly in the more subtle vintage 36 mm size of 1803s and the like.

Platinum is your really heavy MF, especially with the larger/thicker modern cases and bracelets. Try on a new platinum model at your AD. The weight is ridiculous.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:12 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgirl1998 View Post
Thinking it's time for me to get a new watch, I try to get 1-2 a year and I am having a hard time picking between the submariner 16610 or the day-date 18238. I know I know, both couldn't be more different. Anyone have any opinions about the watches themselves other than the fact that one is a daily watch and the other is a dress watch? Thanks in advance.
Would hardly call a 16610 0r 18238 vintage watches myself not a fan of precious metal watches so would choose the Sub.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 12:49 PM   #18
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I would consider those two more neo-vintage pieces. Both are classics.

If you’re looking for a true vintage piece how about 1017 or a 1680? Super classy and elegant sport pieces. (same goes for the 1803 day date)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:39 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Apples and pears! 40mm Sports or 36mm Gold Dress Watch.
What does the rest of your collection look like?
If it’s missing a dressier piece, then go properly vintage 1803 (in white gold).
Old 20 January 2021, 05:49 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The "best" vintage watch to get is the one in the best condition for the money you are willing to pay.

As it ages you want to start on your best footing. You cannot re-do stuff that has already happened to a vintage piece very easily.

Model is up to individual preference
Old 20 January 2021, 11:12 AM   #21
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Tools has great advice. Unless you are a real veteran, you should get one that keeps good time. If it’s your first vintage and the watch runs badly, losing it for repair is devastating. Now it takes me months to find the parts and get them going.
Old 20 January 2021, 03:04 PM   #22
rolexgirl1998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Apples and pears! 40mm Sports or 36mm Gold Dress Watch.
What does the rest of your collection look like?
If it’s missing a dressier piece, then go properly vintage 1803 (in white gold).
I have dress watches and sport watches in my collection (16233, 16234, 126231, 116613LN). So, super unsure...
Old 20 January 2021, 06:13 PM   #23
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

The 1675 is the chameleon with all the different inlays.

https://www.instagram.com/vintage_georgex/
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 11:30 AM   #24
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Have you tried on the Sub? It's quite a heavy, chunky watch even on substantial wrists. If you have a pronounced wrist bone, it sits quite high on the wrist. The bracelet clasp is also rather substantial and I find myself snagging it on clothing (but not a problem if you live in a wet suit). I love my Subs and have owned several, but the 36mm DD is a much easier watch to wear every day.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 11:50 AM   #25
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Which vintage Rolex?
All of them !
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:06 AM   #26
Scatpackace
"TRF" Member

After stumbling upon my Rolex commando a few days ago I think it’s pretty far up the list!
Scatpackace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 02:43 AM   #27
ketonjo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 Pepsi 1968
16800 might be a good choice. A bit underrated atm. Really good if you can find good deals on it.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
ketonjo is offline   Reply With Quote