The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 August 2011, 10:06 AM   #1
cruvon
"TRF" Member

List of questions to ask before you buy vintage watches(esp for newbies)

Hi guys, just thought would list some questions I found especially useful to ask when buying a vintage watch with inputs from you wonderful guys here, hopefully helps some newbie collectors like myself get the watch they looking for. Is esp for those seeking originality and collector grade pieces or those willing to compromise on some parts so that we can become informed buyers rather than end up finding we purchased an unoriginal watch in good faith "assuming" it was all original. Important in cases where not enough information was provided or because the seller had a "Ask and I'll tell" policy rather than an upfront one. Offcourse again, please ask the knowledgeable guys here and send them pictures before you buy a watch. Also sometimes, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is ,so please do conduct your own due diligence before buying.

Please help me fill in the missing bits.

General question to ask

Watch is original and has no replacements including service replacements

Individual part questions

Case:
Is it Polished/never polished/unpolished (since these definitions can mean different things to different people)/Original to the watch/Service replacement

Bracelet:
Is it period correct/Original to the watch/Service replacement/Polished/Refurbished

Hands
Are they original to the watch/replacement hands/service replacements/relumed/ tritium matches the plots on the dial/ tritium doesn't match the plots on the dial

Dial
Is it original to the watch/ a replacement/service replacement/refinished/relumed/tritium matches the one on the hands/ tritium doesn't match the hands/ % perfect (eg 100% perfect dial)

Insert
Is it original to the watch/ a replacement/service replacement

Movement (doesn't impact collectability much unless a different movement is used)
Original/Service replacement/a different movement

Crown
Original/Service replacement

Crystal
Original/Original service replacement/service replacement

Box and Papers
Original to the watch/Period correct but not original to the watch/none/Chronometer certificate (punched/double punched/written)

Service
A recent service/RSC service/no service

Cheers

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote