The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 March 2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Jrusso
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Steve McQueen rolex advice.....

Hey, I'm a new member to this forum and I am seeking some advice from those in the know. My father recently passed away and I have inherited his explorer 2 Steve McQueen Rolex. It’s in working order and holds time well. I had the glass replaced for dad about 4 years ago as it was quite scratched. On inspection of the glass there are tiny cracks radiating out from the raised date magnifier. The guy at my local watch shop tells me that its tiny cracks that will allow water in. I need to get this fixed obviously as I swim regularly. The glass was replaced by Rolex in 2007. Any who, I want to know what your thoughts would be on restoration of the watch and what needs to be done for upkeep. I have no intention of ever selling this watch as I promised my dad I would always have it and intend to wear it daily as my father did for the last 30 years. The things I am worried about is the band breaking as it’s a not a Rolex band and the fact that the illumination on the dial is gone so as a paramedic on night shift I can’t tell the time and it shits me. As far as I know it’s all original. I’d like to....

Get some illumination on the dial... Fix the glass
Get the numbers and markers repainted on the bezel or replace the bezel??
Replace the band, not sure on a metal band, do rolex make other types of bands, i have seen these watches with diver bands??
Make sure it’s in a serviceable order for many years of service
Possibly replace the hands??

What are your thoughts? I'm in Australia aswell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (79.1 KB, 1108 views)
Jrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 10:35 PM   #2
shairan
"TRF" Member

What I understand from the more experienced members here; reluming the dial or hands will significantly harm the value of your watch. I wonder if a viable alternative would be to purchase a service dial and service hand with s.luminova (i'm sure somebody will highlight if this is possible or not). Do keep the current dial and hands so that you can reinstall them back when and if you don't need the glow. The band is a more flexible choice, which has no major consequence. Just go with your personal pref. as far as i am aware, rolex only do leather and steel - but there are plenty of neoprane alternative. As for the bezel, I personally feel that it is cool to leave it as it is - that how you beloved had it. Just some thought, in any case you will surely treasure the watch which ever option you finally take.
shairan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Jrusso
"TRF" Member

ok, so what is a service dial and service hand with s.luminova? I wouldn't mind keeping it as origional as I can. From the research I have done so far it should have a red/orange 24 hour hand and black dial? would it be hard to get new ones of that and how would that affect the watch?
Old 7 March 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
larryccf
"TRF" Member

you can send it into rolex and they'll replace

the dial with a "service dial" which will have some different id markings.

The concern is, a lot of rolex service centers will not return the original parts, and in fact some rolex centers will insist on replacing the parts and if that is not acceptable, they will refuse to service.

I'm sure some of the members here can steer you to the more "user friendly" service centers, but for the sake of originality and later value, my suggestion would be to make sure you will get the original dial/handset back after the replacement, if you do get it replaced.

the other route would be to have it relumed at a non-rolex facility, but that would weaken it's originality and value some. The hard core collectors want original, even if there's black moss growing off the markers, vs relumed.

FWIW
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 12:33 AM   #5
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Search Bob Ridley on this forum and give him a call, he'll tell you the best course of action for that watch
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 12:40 AM   #6
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Go with Bob Ridley as stated above. He will discuss you options and follow your desires. A Rolex service center will do what they deem necessary to restore the watch. I would get it cleaned and serviced and that's it. Get yourself something else with lume for night vision, if you must. This is an iconic watch. Sorry about your loss.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 12:48 AM   #7
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I don't disagree with any of the advice I just read, but would like to add--

* find a good local watch guy who will do what you want.
* consider spending the $500 for a full service, which will include a new acrylic crystal (plastic crystals are replaced as part of a std service).
* if you want to address the faded lume problem, you're talking about replacing hands and dial (service dial), and a local guy can do the swap and give you your parts back. Rolex will not return your dial.
* I had a sons mid-nineties ExpII serviced, recently, by a local shop and they did a great job of freshening the numbers on the bezel back to new looking.

Last edited by slcbbrown; 8 March 2012 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: spellig
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Jrusso
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice. The guy at the local watch shop said that he couldnt do anything for the watch as rolex wont sell parts to non acrediated dealers. He also warned that rolex would not service the watch if it was not in an ideal state, stating that they would replace items to maintin the look of the watch? I dont mind if the dial is dim, I just want to be able to see the hands at night? I have no concern for the value of the watch or its orgionality, more function and longevity.

Would you suggest getting a new dial and hands as this would allow it to be seen at night? I have looked at origional steve mcqueen rolexs and they are a good look and im happy to stick as close to that as possible?

Thanks for the contact, ill try and get in touch.
Old 9 March 2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Puffy
"TRF" Member

what about selling it and buying the new 216570 ?

you could even buy two watches with the proceeds, or go on holiday...
Old 9 March 2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Kayaker52
Banned

Give Genway Gao a call,when other watchmakers FAIL,Genway gets it done!And he is honest and resonable.
Kayaker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2012, 12:22 AM   #11
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
There are tons of watch guys who can get Rolex parts. They have to have an account, though. I really prefer to have working lume on a sport watch, too. If you want it, you need to replace the dial and hands-- not a big deal. However, that dial/hands set may have some real value to your or some other WIS, so it would be nice to keep them.

I think you'll be amazed at what a competent watch tech can do with your watch.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2012, 04:03 AM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Go with Bob Ridley as stated above. He will discuss you options and follow your desires. A Rolex service center will do what they deem necessary to restore the watch. I would get it cleaned and serviced and that's it. Get yourself something else with lume for night vision, if you must. This is an iconic watch. Sorry about your loss.
X2

I too would contact Bob. Replace the the dial and hands if you wish, but keep the originals so that you will have those as well.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2012, 08:47 AM   #13
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
+1, keep the dial and hands and pick up a set of spare luminova hands and a new dial. The hands look ok, the orange hand has faded to white and it's known as an "albino".
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Don't mess around with your old man's watch...call Bob Ridley.
Old 11 March 2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Goiguidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex vintage
I would keep all the original parts and certainly avoid a relume.
The value of the watch will be impacted.
Also, your current band is not an original one.
I would change it to a Rolex one.
Lastly, I would not swim with such an old an rare watch.
Goiguidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2012, 04:04 PM   #16
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrusso View Post
Thanks for the advice. The guy at the local watch shop said that he couldnt do anything for the watch as rolex wont sell parts to non acrediated dealers. He also warned that rolex would not service the watch if it was not in an ideal state, stating that they would replace items to maintin the look of the watch? I dont mind if the dial is dim, I just want to be able to see the hands at night? I have no concern for the value of the watch or its orgionality, more function and longevity.

Would you suggest getting a new dial and hands as this would allow it to be seen at night? I have looked at origional steve mcqueen rolexs and they are a good look and im happy to stick as close to that as possible?

Thanks for the contact, ill try and get in touch.
If this is the case then your best bet is the nearest Rolex Service Center if they will work on a watch of this age (here in the U.S. they are picky about older watches). I would call them and get an estimate with listed parts they recommend replacing. Sorry for your loss.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2012, 01:15 AM   #17
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Search Bob Ridley on this forum and give him a call, he'll tell you the best course of action for that watch
+1 on bob. he refurbished my father in law's '66 GMT. he's a really, really nice guy, and his work is astonishingly good.

2009 16610 Submariner Date
1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
1965 Vulcain Voyager Chronograph
bscepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2012, 10:45 AM   #18
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
+1, keep the dial and hands and pick up a set of spare luminova hands and a new dial. The hands look ok, the orange hand has faded to white and it's known as an "albino".
This.

A restoration will keep the original hands and dial, which will not glow like you want them to on your night shifts. Those are valuable, though, so put them in a box.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 10:23 PM   #19
Jrusso
"TRF" Member

Bob Ridley is in the states? That would involve sending the watch overseas. Can anyone recommend anyone in Australia that could provide a similar service?
Old 27 March 2012, 12:54 AM   #20
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

get it serviced without changing any parts (exept maybe the plexi) by an expert not a Rolex Service Center
get an original bracelet
live with the fact that it is a vintage watch, that it lived on your fathers wrist for decades and that at its age it doesn't like to swim anymore

if you need to tell time in the dark, get another watch to wear to work...
this is a beautiful vintage rolex, clean it up, give the movement a proper treatment and wear it with pride ! (just my 2 cents)
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 01:13 AM   #21
fespo276
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyvm View Post
get it serviced without changing any parts (exept maybe the plexi) by an expert not a Rolex Service Center
get an original bracelet
live with the fact that it is a vintage watch, that it lived on your fathers wrist for decades and that at its age it doesn't like to swim anymore

if you need to tell time in the dark, get another watch to wear to work...
this is a beautiful vintage rolex, clean it up, give the movement a proper treatment and wear it with pride ! (just my 2 cents)
This is exactly my opinion, too.
fespo276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2012, 08:04 AM   #22
tudorlex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Any updates?
tudorlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 05:24 AM   #23
1979SDMkI
"TRF" Member

Keep watch as is and buy a cheap watch that you can use for your night shift.
1979SDMkI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 07:34 PM   #24
wishywatchy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 168000
Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
what about selling it and buying the new 216570 ?

you could even buy two watches with the proceeds, or go on holiday...
Whatever you do, dont do that! There is no comparison.
wishywatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 08:20 PM   #25
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrusso View Post
Bob Ridley is in the states? That would involve sending the watch overseas. Can anyone recommend anyone in Australia that could provide a similar service?
Ask Jed (Jedley1). He lives down under as well and will know your man.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote