The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 August 2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Oakley12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR / DJ41
1st Rolex??

So I am finally in the market for my first Rolex. :)

I LOVE the new steel GMT "Pepsi" jubilee bracelet (126710BLRO); but I would have better luck finding a unicorn who likes Jack Daniels; & I'm not in a financial position to pay $10k over retail :(

My question; I also like the older "Coke" GMT, I don't believe I have ever seen on in person actually. Do I go for the current "Batman" GMT, go for the "Coke" or put my name on a 5-year wait list?

Thoughts?
Oakley12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 07:55 AM   #2
tseiff
"TRF" Member

Did you see any in person?

The cerachrome is quite shiny ... you must see and try before buying
tseiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Oakley12
"TRF" Member

I have not :( Other than the scratch resistance is there a benefit to the ceramic as opposed to non-ceramic? what about mechanism? are there benefits to current versions over older?

I can research and research all day long on the net, but i would prefer to garner my knowledge from owners.
Old 22 August 2018, 08:05 AM   #4
tseiff
"TRF" Member

Movement i cant say but shiny bezel is a no no for me but that’s me...
I’d rather go for the coke you mentioned if there were those only choices

Don’t buy on internet pictures only - that’s my only advice
Old 22 August 2018, 08:05 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Slow down.

You've just decided that you want a Rolex, but you're not sure about which one or even how the models you've shown interest in really look or how they wear on the wrist.

Start doing your research now.

Read reviews, visit ADs, start noticing the watches you see in public, talk to Rolex owners whom you know, and all the other things that will help you decide what's best for you.

Honestly, there's no hurry when it comes to spending a huge sum of money on a watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 08:10 AM   #6
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I know it is hard to find SS watches to try on at AD's these days. But you may want to find a grey dealer who has some professional models in stock and try some on. Try some modern ceramics and some 5 digit models and see what really grabs you. Your first Rolex should be something that is a no doubt purchase. As in you know it is the one!
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 08:13 AM   #7
tseiff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I know it is hard to find SS watches to try on at AD's these days. But you may want to find a grey dealer who has some professional models in stock and try some on. Try some modern ceramics and some 5 digit models and see what really grabs you. Your first Rolex should be something that is a no doubt purchase. As in you know it is the one!

Well said
Old 22 August 2018, 08:16 AM   #8
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
X2. Follow this advice.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 08:18 AM   #9
tseiff
"TRF" Member

You might be surprised by how some watch owners, when you talk to them, are into explaining / showing / even let you try their watch ... you don’t have co workers who have subs?
Old 22 August 2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Oakley12
"TRF" Member

great advice. thank you!! I have a friend who has the Batman and I loved it; this is why i chose the GMT.

I have seen several clients with the Batman and I want something different, hence the new "Pepsi", but alas I like the "unicorn" of Rolex at present time. That is why I was looking at the "Coke" one.
Old 22 August 2018, 09:20 AM   #11
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseiff View Post
You might be surprised by how some watch owners, when you talk to them, are into explaining / showing / even let you try their watch ... you don’t have co workers who have subs?
This is great advice. Knowledge is meant to be shared and asking this forum is a great start. You will learn a lot about Rolex and the different lines and individual watches - and quickly, too. On this board and other boards. I’d read around and then try and talk to other enthusiasts, get their opinions, see if they’ll let you check out their collection and see how their opinions line up with yours.

Be careful for people who tell you what you should like because it’s what they like. It shouldn’t be too much of a problem but sometimes it’s easy to get overwhelmed when you’re trying to learn about all the different watches. Also, think about cost, what you’re going to use it for, and what you NEED (and might need down the road) vs what you want.

Finally, think about how you’re going to feel about your purchase 10, 15, 20 years from now because this purchase will last you that long. My first purchase was an AirKing and 5 years after I bought it, I was kicking mys elf for not getting a DJ. Don’t get me wrong. I loved the AK and it got a lot of wrist time over the years but I was 20 and I talked myself into the AK.

I never got around to getting a DJ but it’s a watch I’d like for my collection but I just wouldn’t buy one now. I just wish that first purchase was different.

The moral of the story... take your time, do your research, find the right watch for you and enjoy.
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 01:04 PM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
X2. Follow this advice.

x3
5 and 6 digit Rolex watches where totally differently so you should try on a 16710 gmt2 and a current gmt2 before you decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 02:34 PM   #13
jlevitt9
"TRF" Member

I spent almost 2 years researching and understanding what made my "perfect" rolex. I went through stages of wanting the following watches....

- Explorer 1
- Explorer 2 polar (5 digit)
- Milgauss Blue
- Submariner No Date (5 digit)

After trying all on, it was the no date that sang to me. Then I figured out what was most important to me (condition, polished or not, box, papers, etc.) and my price limit.

It's easy to get caught up in the moment, but really take the time to figure out what's perfect for you, and enjoy the journey!
jlevitt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 03:00 PM   #14
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

In my journey, the watch picks you once you’ve tried it on. Some say it sings! There is a certain infatuation with a desired object. It seems you’re in Las Vegas. There are some great ADs there. Try some on and see what really catches your eye. Also, don’t be surprised, especially if you read this forum too long, if your current favorite changes ..... many times.
Old 22 August 2018, 07:24 PM   #15
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Never bur a 5 diget reference because you can't get a modern ref. Totally different animals .Like it was said do your homework first.
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 07:34 PM   #16
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
A first is a first! And that might be something you want to keep, so I would make sure I find something that I really like. Try them on in real life, take photos of them on etc.
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 08:04 PM   #17
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Try them both on and don't rush. Redo's are expensive in this hobby. Think about how you will use the watch: work, casual, formal use, travel. Consider whether this is going to be your only quality watch or whether it will be part of a larger collection. Versatility is key if your only planning on one watch.

Good luck!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 05:38 AM   #18
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
If I were you id go for a new GMT LN. Its not impossible to find at an AD and its probably the best bang for the buck out there. It just covers so many bases.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote