The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2018, 03:05 PM   #31
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Rolex aren't as clever as many of you think at predicting the global economy and watch demand. They dialled down production expecting a recession and more people wanting smart watches. Now they can't make enough.

They're watch makers in a funny building in Switzerland. Not master financiers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I think this may be the truth!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 03:15 PM   #32
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
Only anecdotally, but this is exactly why I discovered and bought my first Tudor. And then discovered that the north flag is an amazing watch. Rolex should be watchful of what they wish for.
I think this is exactly what they wish for.. you still bought from Rolex didn't you
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 05:02 PM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Rolex aren't as clever as many of you think at predicting the global economy and watch demand. They dialled down production expecting a recession and more people wanting smart watches. Now they can't make enough.

They're watch makers in a funny building in Switzerland. Not master financiers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
i also think there is some practical reasons production may be down. watchmakers. In general the number of new watchmaking students and new watchmakers is way less than the number of old watchmakers retiring. So you cant increase production with less skilled workers.

Not sure if that is exactly the reason now but looking into the future production for all major brands is not sustainable and training takes a long time so its not like they can plug the gaps quickly. Im aware a lot of automation is used, but there are areas where people still work on the watches and that is a bottleneck or will be.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 06:10 PM   #34
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, I find gold Rolexes....white gold for me.....just feel nicer on the wrist. I've had the ceramic Daytona over the same period as a WG one, and found the steel version hardly got worn. It felt surprisingly 'ordinary' despite the incredible demand.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 06:18 PM   #35
Skyfire
"TRF" Member

Rolex needs the SS sport line to keep up the brand image. You could compare it to Porsche: the most iconic Porsche model is the 911, the bulk of the sales and profits are from other models however, Macan, Panamera, Cayenne. People buy those models because of the legendary status of the 911. Just like that Rolex has the SS Submariner, and Daytona as icons, so people buy their PM models.
Skyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 07:52 PM   #36
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
I think this is exactly what they wish for.. you still bought from Rolex didn't you
Fair point! I dont know enough about omega and the other luxe brands and did choose Tudor because of the Rolex brand. And you’re right, this may be their goal though I’d imagine they’d rather sell a BLNR for nearly $9000 US than a Tudor at just over a third of that. As many have pointed out, though, perhaps tudors of today are being positioned and priced like SS Rolexes 20 or 30 years ago.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 07:56 AM   #37
R!$
Banned

sales
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote