The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 June 2014, 12:36 AM   #1
Mack Bolan
Banned

Watch: Submariner
The Jealousy Factor

It took me 48 years to be start buying Rolex. Before then I always had respect for someone who was wearing one, even if they were a lot younger than me. It didn't matter. I saw a great watch that i hoped to own some day. Now that I own a few and wear them everyday, Its interesting to notice people who notice my watches and how they react...Sometimes the "lack" of commenting says everything..You can just tell by the look on their faces.

If they do comment in a positive way I always answer "It is simply a device that provides me the time" and then we both would laugh.

Ive had a few say something like "Why would anyone spend that kinda money on a watch?", not realizing how rude they were being.

Anyone else have any interesting stories of Rolex jealousy?
Old 6 June 2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people who are jealous of the nice things that you have. It's a very ugly characteristic. Nobody has ever said anything negative to me about my watch, but if they did, I'd likely ignore it.
Old 6 June 2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Metalheart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116234
Yeah. Sometimes people are just so different after they learn that it's a Rolex that I am wearing. Doesn't happen with close friends or family but at workplace and with people not so close. Something changes and I can almost feel some kind of distance. I was wearing a much costlier TT Breitling before I got my DJ and people didn't seem to care, but after the DJ the story was different. Sometimes it's difficult for me to judge if they are being sarcastic or not.
Old 6 June 2014, 12:54 AM   #4
Ed Man

Watch: 114060/116334
So far I haven't had any negative comments. Matter of fact over the weekend I was at a friends house and he noticed and immediately wanted to show me his watch collection. I didn't even realize he was looking. Lol!!! Hopefully things remain positive but if not, it's their problem as I'm definitely not going to stop wearing my watches.
Old 6 June 2014, 12:56 AM   #5
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
I've heard negative discussions on spending lots of $$ on a watch but I just stay out of it. I think one of my in-laws suggested selling it when we were trying to save for a downpayment on a house. I opted to keep it and wait a little longer to buy.

People choose to spend disposable income on all sorts of things. What I spent on this watch is nothing compared to what I have spent on another hobby, ham radio. People buy all sorts of 'unnecessary things'. The nice thing is about my watch.. If I ever needed to I could sell it quickly and get more money that what I paid for it 14ish years ago.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:06 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Guys can get jealous and girls can get interested. Both amuse me.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:08 AM   #7
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Makes you wonder what their preference would be for "THAT kind of money".. Probably a load of crap furniture.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 6 June 2014, 01:13 AM   #8
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
A woman asked me what kind of watch I was wearing. Upon saying Rolex she asked if that was like Timex.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:14 AM   #9
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
It took me 48 years to be start buying Rolex. Before then I always had respect for someone who was wearing one, even if they were a lot younger than me. It didn't matter. I saw a great watch that i hoped to own some day. Now that I own a few and wear them everyday, Its interesting to notice people who notice my watches and how they react...Sometimes the "lack" of commenting says everything..You can just tell by the look on their faces.

If they do comment in a positive way I always answer "It is simply a device that provides me the time" and then we both would laugh.

Ive had a few say something like "Why would anyone spend that kinda money on a watch?", not realizing how rude they were being.

Most people don't know or care about a watch or have any idea what it is or cost
Your life experience differs apparently , congrats on your watches enjoy
Old 6 June 2014, 01:15 AM   #10
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I have been wearing a Rolex since I was 15 (I am now 32) and have had many people look over the years at my wrist. I wore a TT Sub all through college and never had a negative comment, however the TT sub once I entered the workforce (my first job was a Pharma rep) did get some more "negative" looks from co-workers. I never let it bother me, but was conscious of the perception it gave others.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 6 June 2014, 01:17 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I've been wearing a Rolex for decades. Almost nobody notices or says anything.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:19 AM   #12
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
all of my friends and family know that I love watches so they dont say anything to me...i've had people tell me hey i like your watch, not knowing what kind of watch it is...which I would prefer...if someone doesn't notice my watch all the better but if someone wants to make a negative comment on how much coin I dropped for an accurate reference to the time I could give 2 shits!! enjoy the watch and forget the stupids.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:23 AM   #13
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Never any negative comments but I do sometimes have to put my friends' hobbies in perspective by reminding them I don't blow all my cash on the latest and greatest electronic gadgets to hit the market.

Some share the passion but i've noticed with others that they simply assume a nice watch is unattainable because they have little interest in watches. I'll tell them selling their jet skis collecting dust or not putting forged racing wheels on every car they own will get them one.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:26 AM   #14
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
very seldom get negative comments ,, the odd ,,, yer daft ,,, but that goes with the whole wis thing , some folk just dont get it , they tease a bit from time to time , but its in fun.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:30 AM   #15
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Once in awhile I will hear a comment about why would anyone spend that much money on a watch. I am not so sure that is due to jealousy or the person just not understanding why we appreciate fine time pieces. I've gotten the 'my iPhone tells me the time for free' comment and the 'my $100 watch tells the same time as yours'; I just chalk it up to the person not understanding what goes into making fine timepieces with automatic movements, with nearly every single component being made in-house with a miraculous assembly facility. These people will never understand our appreciation, I don't think its jealousy, its no use attempting to explain it. Sometimes I respond with, how much did you pay for your wife's engagement ring? Why is it ok to spend $8k on a stone found naturally in the ground but crazy to spend that much on a time piece?
Old 6 June 2014, 01:56 AM   #16
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
I've had two negative comments. One came from my doc who I consider a friend. She called me "retarded" when she found out I rewarded myself with an Explorer II after meeting a health marker she wanted me to achieve. Of course I pointed out to her that half her colleagues I know wear Submariners. She said, "they're retarded too." I just laughed along with her although I'm well aware of her expensive toys at her lake house.

The other comment involved the word pretentious from an in-law. But you know, nobody batted an eyelash when I paid 8k for an upgraded engine when I got my car or any of the other bells and whistles. It's what you value.
Old 6 June 2014, 01:57 AM   #17
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've never had anyone be jealous, but when I do get to talking and I start naming all the other watches I have. I have seen looks where people may have thought I was bragging. When I'm not, I get excited when I get to talk watches, I'm proud of my collection, it has taken years to put together and it's becasue I love watch not becasue I like to show off.

My boss, who has a Luminox noticed my Rolex. Turns out he loves watches but has four kids a he through private school and college! He asked me to bring in all my watches, it was fun and he was not jealous, he was drooling and enjoyed me sharing with him.
Old 6 June 2014, 02:06 AM   #18
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Most people don't know or care about a watch or have any idea what it is or cost.
x100 Most people dramatically overestimate how often other people are thinking about them (and more specifically what watch they are wearing and what it costs).

Just wear the watch and enjoy...nobody else really cares!
Old 6 June 2014, 02:43 AM   #19
c.rod
"TRF" Member

its like anything else. I have never met anyone that doesnt have some sort of "vice" that they spend more money on that what is technically needed. The biggest example imo are vehicles. The same guy that might give someone a hard time about an expensive watch has a $70k loaded diesel pickup truck that he technically doesnt need, but WANTED it.
I also know friends of mine that have a HUGE custom projectile launcher collection worth more than a lot of brand new cars. In fact at one point i had one i could have bought a SUB C instead.lol. Everyone is into different things, thats all
Old 6 June 2014, 03:18 AM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

No because I do not entertain that kind of negativity.

"It is ok if you do not understand" is my usual response, said with a smile.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 6 June 2014, 03:24 AM   #21
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

I have not experienced Rolex jealousy...people see me, notice my watch and understand why I own it...
Old 6 June 2014, 03:25 AM   #22
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Possibly the weirdest subject matter I've seen here.
Old 6 June 2014, 03:29 AM   #23
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
Possibly the weirdest subject matter I've seen here.
Stick around; it'll get weirder...

Old 6 June 2014, 03:30 AM   #24
scooter1307
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I wear a SS white face datejust, just so people don't notice...So unless they are watch enthusiast like me, they don't even know it's a rolex.
Old 6 June 2014, 03:33 AM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
Stick around; it'll get weirder...

Count on it!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 6 June 2014, 03:35 AM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1307 View Post
I wear a SS white face datejust, just so people don't notice...So unless they are watch enthusiast like me, they don't even know it's a rolex.
This forum has already concluded that everyone notices, all the time!
Old 6 June 2014, 03:37 AM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

i haven't experienced anything like this. but, why do folks skirt on giving a blunt answer? i recall other somewhat similar threads over the years.

I'd answer like this;

What kind of watch is that?

Its a Rolex.

How much is it?

A lot, but I find its worth it. Want one?

Maybe, but why would someone spend a lot on a watch?

Because they can.

You're a smug jerk.

Perhaps, but you came on to me.

Old 6 June 2014, 03:42 AM   #28
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I've been wearing a Rolex for decades. Almost nobody notices or says anything.
x2
Old 6 June 2014, 03:48 AM   #29
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Since wearing Rolex from 1978 forward only once has anyone ask me why I wear a Rolex. At the time I was wearing a 1675 GMT my first Rolex. The year was somewhere around the fall of 1980.
Old 6 June 2014, 04:05 AM   #30
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
i haven't experienced anything like this. but, why do folks skirt on giving a blunt answer? i recall other somewhat similar threads over the years.

I'd answer like this;

What kind of watch is that?

Its a Rolex.

How much is it?

A lot, but I find its worth it. Want one?

Maybe, but why would someone spend a lot on a watch?

Because they can.

You're a smug jerk.

Perhaps, but you came on to me.

too funny.

A co-worker with whom I have a good report has a totally loaded M5 which costed him about $120k, I believe his car has around 650 HP. We went for lunch a couple of weeks ago, and we are eating and enjoying yourselfs with some invited (nice) clients. At one point I asked/told him, camon man, my X3 has 300 HP and it is more powerfull and more than enough for city driving, you do not really need 650HP. He goes: "Why do dogs leak their b*lls? Because, they can! So it is with my car!"
Closed Thread