The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 August 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Buying a Panerai from boutique, AD and Grey dealers

Just wondering what would be your preferred choice?

Buy your regular production pam from AD with discount. Buy limited edition pam from Grey.

Or

Buy all pam from boutique

For the past few months, I have been adding back a few Pams into my collections

1) a used 233 dot dial
2) a brand new 1033 from AD (great discount)
3) a brand new 995 from boutique (no discount)
4) a brand new 799 from boutique (no discount and arriving around Nov hopefully)

And so I casually asked my sales rep from the boutique to be put on waiting list for the 968. As usual, they would only sell me the 968 with a bundle if I have accumulated 70k (SGD100k) of purchase at the boutique. So I am wondering now, should I continue to support the boutique or just get the 968 from Grey Market? Over here in Singapore, it is not difficult to get a 968 at about USD 20k from grey dealer.

It seems ridiculous to buy most of my panerai from the boutique with zero discount and yet need to accumulate such a huge amount to qualify for a 968.

In fact I have been having the intention to add back 422 into my collection. So now instead of buying a 422 from the boutique with no discount, it might be more worth to get a 422 from my AD with at least 15% discount. And a 968 from Grey at a slight premium.

I am not sure what are the benefits to buy from boutique other than having the need to spend 70k to qualify to purchase a non limited edition bronzo?
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 06:07 PM   #2
crashpad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Why not just go grey? That's a huge sum to have to accumulate to qualify at boutique...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 09:25 PM   #3
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post

Buy your regular production pam from AD with discount. Buy limited edition pam from Grey.

Or

1) a used 233 dot dial
4) a brand new 799 from boutique (no discount and arriving around Nov hopefully)

And so I casually asked my sales rep from the boutique to be put on waiting list for the 968. As usual, they would only sell me the 968 with a bundle if I have accumulated 70k (SGD100k) of purchase at the boutique. So I am wondering now, should I continue to support the boutique or just get the 968 from Grey Market? Over here in Singapore, it is not difficult to get a 968 at about USD 20k from grey dealer.

It seems ridiculous to buy most of my panerai from the boutique with zero discount and yet need to accumulate such a huge amount to qualify for a 968.

In fact I have been having the intention to add back 422 into my collection. So now instead of buying a 422 from the boutique with no discount, it might be more worth to get a 422 from my AD with at least 15% discount. And a 968 from Grey at a slight premium.

I am not sure what are the benefits to buy from boutique other than having the need to spend 70k to qualify to purchase a non limited edition bronzo?
Frankly,
I don’t think your boutique deserves your business with that kind of unappreciative behaviour, but it’s a matter of economics for you...do you want to it a $4-5k premium to achieve at $1500 k discount? I would speak to the manager of the boutique and cite your recent sales history. Tell them you will buy a 422 plus your previous sales, and they will have your loyalty formoktential purchases going forward, in exchange for access to a 968. If they say “no,” walk away and don’t buy from them again. If they say “yes,” you just saved yourself a lot of money.

I like buying from ADs or the boutique. I always stay away from grey market dealers. But that’s me.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

With Panerai, I more or less ONLY buy used from the grey market. The brand has depreciated significantly, and while I typically never view watches as investments I am realistic that some day I may fall out of love with a particular model and wish to sell it. The Panerai I have purchased are all regular production models, but I have gotten them for 30-40% off what their initial MSRP is. Obviously limited edition models are more difficult to obtain in this manner, but I feel less bad about selling a piece for 40% off MSRP if that's the price I got it at.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 11:12 PM   #5
nick c
Banned

Buy it smart as used and you will be ok. Good luck.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 12:01 AM   #6
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
With Panerai, I more or less ONLY buy used from the grey market. The brand has depreciated significantly, and while I typically never view watches as investments I am realistic that some day I may fall out of love with a particular model and wish to sell it. The Panerai I have purchased are all regular production models, but I have gotten them for 30-40% off what their initial MSRP is. Obviously limited edition models are more difficult to obtain in this manner, but I feel less bad about selling a piece for 40% off MSRP if that's the price I got it at.
Same here. The 372 (plexi version) I just purchased a few days ago is in a mint condition, full set and 35% below the retail value.
Old 31 August 2019, 12:37 AM   #7
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Over here, the grey market for panerai is small. There is very little demand for panerai.

For example, I won’t be able to find a 1033 or 1616 in grey market. So either go to AD or Boutique. And those boutique only e.g 995,997,998 and 999, I can only find them in boutique.

I prefer to deal with AD or boutique as well. I will try to talk to the sales rep. If still no deal, then I should not waste my time and money on building an expensive relationship with them. I might end up getting the 422 from my AD with good discount to offset the premium I am going to pay for 968!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 04:16 AM   #8
synequano
Banned

I’d buy pre owned or via AD at hefty discount

I’d skip 968 and go for older bronzos if that’s what you want

There are many pre owned sellers in Sg as I’m also in GPF appassionati Whatsapp group in which most members are having +65 number
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 10:36 PM   #9
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I'd prefer to work with a truster seller here than pay MSRP for a watch that's worth a fraction of that at a dealer or boutique .
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 10:45 PM   #10
donald83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post

Or

1) a used 233 dot dial

Don't buy from Panerai at ION. Can buy from Cortina Raffles?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 01:33 AM   #11
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Dude, you re 5 hours away from HK - go there for one night and you’d have truckloads of Panerai at every second grey dealer and all discounted heavily and ready to be picked up. It’s not the brand worth “accumulating” $$$$$ in spend for either - the ION folks must be dreaming not to give you the respect for all the money you’ve already dropped with them. I’d have a strong word out the manager and tell them to pack it if they dont offer you that watch.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:32 PM   #12
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
gray market dealers are fine to deal with. good luck

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 10:46 AM   #13
RedDevil
"TRF" Member

Are stocks at AD as wide as Boutique? I always thought boutique carries almost all models, that AD may not have.

I've always been buying pre-own PAM, if AD can give decent discount, I would love to get a next PAM brand new and from AD.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:37 PM   #14
Gotemandrew
"TRF" Member

I think it is better you buy from the grey market, that way you don't have much to lose if you get tired of the watch.
Gotemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 03:22 AM   #15
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I would approach it a little different. I would first set a budget , then with that budget pic the watch that you like the most. Then shop around AD and Grey ....then if the difference is significant go grey , but if you are saving $600 or so go AD
IMHO
Good luck

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Danrice
"TRF" Member

Neither. Plenty of great second hand pieces on a Chrono and here. Happy to help you find the right piece.

Danrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:36 AM   #17
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, PAM 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
I'd prefer to work with a truster seller here than pay MSRP for a watch that's worth a fraction of that at a dealer or boutique .

Agree.
Probably the safest and most cost effective option.
dieselophile is offline   Reply With Quote