The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2019, 04:12 AM   #1
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Tudor GMT - Very long wait for repair

Brought my Tudor GMT in for the date wheel repair three months ago (the date does not flip over completely, gets stuck between dates). I was told by the AD that Tudor says this will take at least another 4 months (or more).

The AD said Rolex/Tudor overwhelmed with all the Tudor GMT's that have been sent back for repair and it's just a matter of waiting it out. He said be prepared not to have it back until a year from now. Question: can a refund be demanded for this type of situation? I would like to go shopping for another watch.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:15 AM   #2
exador
Banned

Depends on what your local lemon laws are. Seller of the goods must normally be given “reasonable time” to correct any defect.
A year doesn’t sound reasonable to me.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:32 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Sorry you have to deal with the hassle. Best to ask your AD about the refund.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:32 AM   #4
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Basically they are waiting for some parts or re installing a completely new movement

If i were you. I would wear it until the parts /new engine comes. Then u bring it for repair

Thats what i did.
All fix now
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:35 AM   #5
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

i'd definitely look into the law and ask as already stated.

i love the watch but got spooked and sold it before this happened to mine. it was working flawlessly but you never know.
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:35 AM   #6
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I like Tudor, but this is a bad look. Completely unacceptable.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:43 AM   #7
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Wow, that is outrageous.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:51 AM   #8
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheneider View Post
Basically they are waiting for some parts or re installing a completely new movement

If i were you. I would wear it until the parts /new engine comes. Then u bring it for repair

Thats what i did.
All fix now
I wish my AD would have told me that before he sent it off for repair.
Old 19 September 2019, 04:52 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

they better not be shipping a single new watch until they clear the backlog... oh wait, they dont care

I would point that out though. They have resources available to make a boatload of new ones while you wait
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:52 AM   #10
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Brought my Tudor GMT in for the date wheel repair three months ago (the date does not flip over completely, gets stuck between dates). I was told by the AD that Tudor says this will take at least another 4 months (or more).

The AD said Rolex/Tudor overwhelmed with all the Tudor GMT's that have been sent back for repair and it's just a matter of waiting it out. He said be prepared not to have it back until a year from now. Question: can a refund be demanded for this type of situation? I would like to go shopping for another watch.
That is a disgraceful situation that Tudor should correct immediately by issuing Brand New Watches to all of those people effected.

Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:00 AM   #11
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
This is unacceptable. Around here many people have multiple watches and can perhaps wait for a repair to take that long. But what if you are a one watch guy, and just spend a pretty $4k on this watch. Not having a watch for many months (waiting for a repair) is not acceptable.

I don't know what I would do if I were you, but I would be pushing back and asking for a refund towards another model perhaps.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:08 AM   #12
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
I’m sorry your facing this issue.....

Sounds like a long long time to wait, something must be wrong with that repair/fix timing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:25 AM   #13
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Wow, that is outrageous.

Totally agree
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:29 AM   #14
Asal94
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Depends on what your local lemon laws are. Seller of the goods must normally be given “reasonable time” to correct any defect.
A year doesn’t sound reasonable to me.

I’m in a similar situation with my Tudor GMT.. it had to go back twice to RSC Toronto. They offered a replacement watch instead of repairing it a third time.

I’ll probably make a post about my experience when it’s resolved as it’s a pretty interesting story to say the least..

Good luck
Asal94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:30 AM   #15
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
I like Tudor, but this is a bad look. Completely unacceptable.
I completely agree. I like (at least the idea of) Tudor, but wouldn’t consider purchasing one because of issues like this.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:51 AM   #16
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
You must be very frustrated. I would absolutely request a refund. Good luck OP.

Reports of this date issue across multiple message boards seem to be rampant enough to not simply dismiss it as isolated/minor incidents. Obviously speculating isn’t going to resolve anything but I have to agree that I too would be absolutely disappointed with a company if I was subjected to a yearlong wait. Especially if there is no guarantee that the issue will actually be resolved.

That being said, the turnaround time for services on independent brands are typically around 4 to 6 months. I know Tudor isn’t an independent but long turnaround times aren’t unheard of.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:56 AM   #17
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
This has to be absolutely frustrating.
I once had my Omega sent back to service for three months after having the watch for only a day!
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:05 AM   #18
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
1 year wait time is totally unacceptable. Especially for a relatively new watch. Imagine paying 4200ish (3900 + NJ taxes) for a watch, only to have it basically taken away soon after for a whole year.

For that, why even buy it?

I try not to give anyone a hard time, but I would be outraged.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:08 AM   #19
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'd like to know if this is remedied or is it just a matter of time before it happens again? Are they just installing another movement or part that hasn't malfunctioned yet? I'd like one of these but not if it's such an unreliable pita. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this is a recurring thing..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:41 AM   #20
michaelodonnell123
Banned

I have the sinking feeling the AD will not "graciously" give me my money back and Tudor will certainly not offer me a new replacement watch. What a headache this is.

My other fear is that when I do get it back, it won't work right.Then it will be sent off for repair again for another year? (I know somebody who also did the date repair and it had to go back a second time. He still hasn't got it back yet and there is no word in sight of when he will).

I will be a in cyclical "repair" nightmare and once the pathetic two year warranty runs out, it might just break again and I will be stuck with an expensive piece of junk.

Maybe I need to lawyer up and sue both the AD and Rolex?
Old 19 September 2019, 06:43 AM   #21
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:

Take a breath friend. I wouldn’t use a bazooka to drive in a nail. Besides, they have a bigger bazooka I guarantee it.

Ask for the refund first.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:47 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Take a breath friend. I wouldn’t use a bazooka to drive in a nail. Besides, they have a bigger bazooka I guarantee it.

yeah

customers are the only ones that can collectively do anything and they dont care. The horror stories across many watch brands doesnt dent the demand.

People read one anecdotal story about something bad that happened in some city somewhere and won't even take their watch there after hearing about it because it must not be safe, yet people still line up to buy watches with tons of threads about issues. weird
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:53 AM   #23
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Sorry to hear, this is a bad situation. I had to send my Omega in three separate times for a date change issue (different from your issue) and I had to have it fully serviced the last time.

It sucks, but it will be great to have it back on your wrist when you do. Good Luck.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:08 AM   #24
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I was thinking about purchasing this watch. Not any more.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:27 AM   #25
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
I have the sinking feeling the AD will not "graciously" give me my money back and Tudor will certainly not offer me a new replacement watch. What a headache this is.

My other fear is that when I do get it back, it won't work right.Then it will be sent off for repair again for another year? (I know somebody who also did the date repair and it had to go back a second time. He still hasn't got it back yet and there is no word in sight of when he will).

I will be a in cyclical "repair" nightmare and once the pathetic two year warranty runs out, it might just break again and I will be stuck with an expensive piece of junk.

In most cases in retail industry, be it home appliances, watch, cars, motorcycles, etc., the retailer is a point of contact between the consumer and the manufacturer. In USA there is usually a 30 day refund that generally the retailer provides, but after that, the responsibility of the retailer ends and basically any issues become between the consumer and the manufacturer, and fall under a manufacturer's service and repair contract.

I learned this the hard way when a very expensive Kenmore vacuum cleaner that I bought from Sears a few years ago and even paid for an extended service agreement with them as well, broke down after 32 days. I couldn't return it to Sears (late by two days) and I had to wait for them to send it to the manufacturer repair center and get it back etc. , and they didn't even have a loaner vacuum cleaner for me. (Believe me, I asked, as I didn't want to buy another vacuum cleaner while I was waiting for this one to be repaired.) I was pretty pissed off, and told them ok, send this one in, and I am buying another similar one right now, and will bring it back to you in 29 days and get my money back on that one. They were able to calm me down and convince me that they didn't play a role in my bad luck with this very reliable vacuum cleaner/company.

I ended up buying a small 'Shark' type under $100 and that was enough to carry me over, and later we actually ended up using that little bugger a lot.

Same scenario happened with our brand new Samsung washer/dryer. 3 months after purchase the dryer stopped working (electronics board issue) and Lowes did not take it back (passed its 90 days return), so we had to wait for repair guys to come repair it.

All these examples, are just to show each and every one of us have had bad luck somewhere and have had to deal with the manufacturer warranty at some point, which is beyond what the retail store offers.

It is unfortunate that you are going through this, but I don't think a lawyer or any level of force can push the AD or Tudor. But if you approach this in a softer manner, perhaps they can do something and can accommodate you. See if you can get the AD to work with Tudor to give you some credit (used watch credit) towards another higher end piece at a discounted price? so this way you get most of your money back? You and AD will probably have to get creative in coming up with a scenario that will help both of you deal with Tudor.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:39 AM   #26
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

But dude, when else does one get a chance to use a bazooka???
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:43 AM   #27
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

How long have you had the watch? Just wondering how the warranty works, does Tudor reissue you a new warranty after the repairs are complete? Or if it is gone for 9 months due to repairs, do you essentially eat that time out of the warranty?
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:21 AM   #28
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
This makes my 9 week wait (so far) for a warranty service on my BB Blue ETA a bit more palatable.

Also gives it a bit more context to the delay as perhaps there’s a backlog with all the GMT date window issues.

But still, this sucks dude. Hang in there but I would definitely make your frustration known to the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 10:02 AM   #29
peterpl
Banned

thats ridiculous. Up to 1 year for a warranty job is not acceptable.

Tudor really need to stop selling this GMT and just do a mass recall.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 10:20 AM   #30
snyde
"TRF" Member

Would you wait, or accept a refund ? I would ask to see if they offered it, and then maybe decide to wait. If they don’t offer it, I would probably look into the lemon law; just out of principle.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote