The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2019, 10:22 AM   #31
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
But dude, when else does one get a chance to use a bazooka???

About as often as I get to use bazooka in a sentence
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:47 PM   #32
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Spoke to the AD yesterday and he said no to the refund. He also said the time it takes to get repaired will eat into my existing warranty regardless of how long it will take. He also told me that if the repair fails after my warranty is up, I will have to pay out of pocket to fix it. And finally, he said that he sent a note to Rolex inquiring how much longer this will take and they told him 'months'. I also asked about a store credit in exchange for my watch so I can bump up to something more expensive. He said no because he does not expect my watch to come back anytime soon and he does not want to get stuck with an empty store credit.

Well there you have it folks. You don't always get what you paid for.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:51 PM   #33
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Really sorry you're having to deal with this. I hate to say it but your best course of action might be to just put it up for sale when you do finally get it back and then move on to a different brand.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:56 PM   #34
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post

Maybe I need to lawyer up and sue both the AD and Rolex?
Seriously?! Good luck, as it will cost you more than the watch is worth to sue.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:03 AM   #35
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

If Tudor has this kind of service backlog and they're going to this model of independent watchmakers not being able to service their in house movements, it frankly makes them a really tough buy.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:06 AM   #36
djgallo
Banned

Tudor looks terrible dragging this out. I think Tudor should provide you you with a brand new watch. This kind of customer service does not help their image.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:12 AM   #37
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I think in the UK, the Sales of Goods Act would most likely result in you getting a refund. I've also heard stories of watches being sent away. It didn't take very long to get them sorted out. To be honest I'm finding a lot of what I'm reading here questionable.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:13 AM   #38
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
that's crazy. They had mine back to me in 3 weeks. This was a year ago though.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:28 AM   #39
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I just sent my BB Chrono in because the minute hand would not reset to zero. Wonder how long that will take. Fortunately I am not in desperate need of a chrono and have other watches. Still quite poor service. A year, bah humbug.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 12:29 AM   #40
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
I think in the UK, the Sales of Goods Act would most likely result in you getting a refund. I've also heard stories of watches being sent away. It didn't take very long to get them sorted out. To be honest I'm finding a lot of what I'm reading here questionable.
Questionable? My watch has not been on my wrist for three months and it won't be anytime soon. Nothing questionable about that. Call RSC and they will tell you this as well. Please tell THEM that you find this 'questionable'.
Old 20 September 2019, 01:14 AM   #41
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spoke to the AD yesterday and he said no to the refund. He also said the time it takes to get repaired will eat into my existing warranty regardless of how long it will take. He also told me that if the repair fails after my warranty is up, I will have to pay out of pocket to fix it. And finally, he said that he sent a note to Rolex inquiring how much longer this will take and they told him 'months'. I also asked about a store credit in exchange for my watch so I can bump up to something more expensive. He said no because he does not expect my watch to come back anytime soon and he does not want to get stuck with an empty store credit.

Not absolving Tudor from the date wheel issue, nor their choice of 2 year warranty which isn’t quite the industry standard. I also imagine I would be just as frustrated as you had I been in this situation. However, I couldn’t really fault the AD if this issue started a year into watch ownership. As others have mentioned, if you no longer trust the watch. Sell it when you get it back to recoup your spending.
Old 20 September 2019, 01:20 AM   #42
Captain Lee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
This is unacceptable. Around here many people have multiple watches and can perhaps wait for a repair to take that long. But what if you are a one watch guy, and just spend a pretty $4k on this watch. Not having a watch for many months (waiting for a repair) is not acceptable.

I don't know what I would do if I were you, but I would be pushing back and asking for a refund towards another model perhaps.
Same for a me. 90 days seems more than reasonable for both parties. I'd be asking for a refund or to be given a brand new watch in exchange for the defective one. Based on what the dealer told you, I would have my attorney send them a formal request, and then see how they respond. They may not want to hassle if they know you aren't going to let it go.

I'd also find a new AD.
Captain Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 01:33 AM   #43
DD18238
"TRF" Member

The date wheel issue seems to be plaguing the GMTs. I’ve read reports of people getting them back from RSC for warranty repair to only have have the same date wheel issue happen again. I’d call RSC and see if they actually have a “fix” for the issue, not just throwing in a new movement with the same potential problem and hoping it doesn’t happen. If they can’t tell you they honestly have found the issue and are now correcting it.... I’d buy a new watch, and then sell the Tudor (in a year), when you get it back from RSC.
DD18238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 01:34 AM   #44
The Libertine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Not absolving Tudor from the date wheel issue, nor their choice of 2 year warranty which isn’t quite the industry standard. I also imagine I would be just as frustrated as you had I been in this situation. However, I couldn’t really fault the AD if this issue started a year into watch ownership. As others have mentioned, if you no longer trust the watch. Sell it when you get it back to recoup your spending.
+1. I agree. It would be different if this issue occurred a few days, or even weeks into ownership; however, not sure what there is for the dealer to do after one year of ownership other than assist with sending in for warranty.
Old 20 September 2019, 01:50 AM   #45
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I don't want this watch...starting to think maybe I don't want a Tudor at all...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 02:11 AM   #46
The Libertine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I don't want this watch...starting to think maybe I don't want a Tudor at all...
I certainly wouldn’t use this as an indictment against the brand.
Old 20 September 2019, 02:15 AM   #47
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
But dude, when else does one get a chance to use a bazooka???
Used one when I was in Moscow a couple months back for holiday lol. Can’t post the video for forum rules, but it was a whole lotta fun!
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 02:20 AM   #48
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
I am sorry you are going through this. My watch had the issue, took it back to my local AD and had it back in less than 5 weeks and no issues since. That was late 2018.

Its a fantastic piece and hate that you are having that experience. Sounds like a crummy AD not giving your money back immediately or the credit towards something else.
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 02:26 AM   #49
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
2 year warranty, and it'll be at RSC for half the warranty?

Do they ever add time to a warranty to accommodate for things like this?
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 02:38 AM   #50
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Rolex/Tudor sold a lot of these watches and now they are getting slammed with having to take them all back for repair. They probably do not have the parts/movement/staff on hand to handle this much volume. It's not the AD's fault, as they just sell what they are given.
But it would be nice if the AD or Rolex could have offered some alternative paths rather than simply saying we have to wait a long time.

With that said, I am going to shop around for a new watch (definitely not a Rolex or Tudor) as I don't see any hope in this getting resolved anytime soon.
Old 20 September 2019, 03:31 AM   #51
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD18238 View Post
The date wheel issue seems to be plaguing the GMTs. I’ve read reports of people getting them back from RSC for warranty repair to only have have the same date wheel issue happen again. I’d call RSC and see if they actually have a “fix” for the issue, not just throwing in a new movement with the same potential problem and hoping it doesn’t happen. If they can’t tell you they honestly have found the issue and are now correcting it.... I’d buy a new watch, and then sell the Tudor (in a year), when you get it back from RSC.
Agree with this. Though they'll probably remain tight-lipped on the repair. I'd expected this to be sorted now and everyone happy with their improved bugless Tudor GMTs. Poor show. Keep saving and get a 5 digit GMT would be my advice, and forget Tudor.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 04:10 AM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Sorry to hear you’re having to deal with this. I hope it gets sorted.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 04:18 AM   #53
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
MY Tudor GMT which was purchased in June never had an issue.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 04:51 AM   #54
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssunnylee24 View Post
MY Tudor GMT which was purchased in June never had an issue.
Don't worry...it will have the issue. Mine was working fine in the beginning as were many others and then it went bad.
Old 20 September 2019, 05:10 AM   #55
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Don't worry...it will have the issue. Mine was working fine in the beginning as were many others and then it went bad.
That is something you cannot and do not know. Bought mine in March, no issues either. That's not to say we won't have this in our future but saying all will fail is impossible to predict with any accuracy.

I feel your pain and find it as unacceptable as you.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 05:29 AM   #56
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
That is something you cannot and do not know. Bought mine in March, no issues either. That's not to say we won't have this in our future but saying all will fail is impossible to predict with any accuracy.

I feel your pain and find it as unacceptable as you.
dP
Agreed. But get it serviced now before it breaks because once the warranty is up, if it breaks you will be in for a world of pain $$$
Old 20 September 2019, 05:40 AM   #57
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Tudor GMT - Very long wait for repair

Quote:
Agreed. But get it serviced now before it breaks because once the warranty is up, if it breaks you will be in for a world of pain $$$

The cost of servicing is something many members who have owned multiple watches have already put into consideration. In the grand scheme of things, servicing a Tudor is significantly less than that of a Rolex and isn’t something I would really consider a world of pain. That being said, money being spent is still money and many of us would prefer not to do so prematurely as the service interval of Tudors is recommended to be 5 years.
Old 20 September 2019, 05:51 AM   #58
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Based on the number of complaints it seems some Tudor in-house movements are not ready for prime time. The outsourced ETA movements of the past were reliable strong work horses. Building in house movements is somewhat trial and error, even if Rolex is looking over your shoulder. I went another direction on a recent purchase, away from Tudor until they get it together.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 06:05 AM   #59
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

This suuuucks. I'm sorry it's happening.

That said, this also highlights the problem with having an AD send your watch in for warranty work. If you send in the watch yourself (which is easy), you're able to directly talk to the RSC about what's happening. If nothing else, you'd have been given a time estimate right at the beginning, so there would have been fewer unpleasant surprises.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 06:22 AM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Based on the number of complaints it seems some Tudor in-house movements are not ready for prime time. The outsourced ETA movements of the past were reliable strong work horses. Building in house movements is somewhat trial and error, even if Rolex is looking over your shoulder. I went another direction on a recent purchase, away from Tudor until they get it together.
i wouldn't avoid them because of the issue... that happens

the response to the issue is what turns me off and that is entirely in their control. Keeping customers should be the priority not releasing new watches. Its terrible optics.

this issue has been dragging out for a while, pretty much since the release and there is stories going all the way back of pretty ridiculous waits
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote