The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2019, 06:30 AM   #61
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
... In the grand scheme of things, servicing a Tudor is significantly less than that of a Rolex and isn’t something I would really consider a world of pain.
Somehow I don't think the RSC will agree to charge 'significantly' less because it's a Tudor. I did a few searches online and most folks are saying they are paying almost the same price to service a Tudor as they do a Rolex.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #62
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Pretty much makes me not want to buy a Tudor. You can buy a used GS for about the same price which is without a doubt a better watch.

Luxury watches should not have widespread issues like this, certainly not one that is under the Rolex family.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 07:11 AM   #63
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Somehow I don't think the RSC will agree to charge 'significantly' less because it's a Tudor. I did a few searches online and most folks are saying they are paying almost the same price to service a Tudor as they do a Rolex.

I was invoiced $450 for a full service on a Tudor 74000n. By comparison, my 1601 cost me $950.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 03:51 PM   #64
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I was invoiced $450 for a full service on a Tudor 74000n. By comparison, my 1601 cost me $950.
Well then I went about this wrong. I would have gladly plunked down $450 if that would have fixed my watch in a reasonable time. Yet somehow I don't think that would have covered the tab.
Old 20 September 2019, 04:19 PM   #65
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well then I went about this wrong. I would have gladly plunked down $450 if that would have fixed my watch in a reasonable time. Yet somehow I don't think that would have covered the tab.

You’re very right. Believe what you will then and good luck.
Old 20 September 2019, 04:31 PM   #66
Zackwheat
"TRF" Member

My Tudor GMT was returned to the AD for repair on June 16. The AD called Rolex in late August and was told it should be back in mid-October.
Zackwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 05:18 PM   #67
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Wow....these waiting times are ridiculous. 4 months?!
I can only guess they have too many to repair on the warranty.

As consumers, I think we should be protected against this lengthy repair times. If its more than a month they should extend the warranty with that extra time.
Old 20 September 2019, 07:03 PM   #68
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Tudor is just dropping new movements in these Gmts. They're out of movements I think.

Sure hope Tudor isn't putting old problem movements back in these watches. Never owned a Tudor if I did it would be ETA workhorse in it where its repairable, not a disposable movement!!
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 07:23 PM   #69
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
Tudor is just dropping new movements in these Gmts. They're out of movements I think.

Sure hope Tudor isn't putting old problem movements back in these watches. Never owned a Tudor if I did it would be ETA workhorse in it where its repairable, not a disposable movement!!
Could be that once all the ETA movements are retired and Tudor goes fully in-house, the models with ETA will command a premium for this exact reason. Then again, this issue seems limited to just the GMT.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 08:07 PM   #70
playford
"TRF" Member

This issue seems to be GMT specific and specific to the datewheel issue, I haven't heard any issues with the rest of the range.

I was considering getting a GMT in April and ended up just getting the standard BBB to avoid all the nonsense. A year just isn't good enough for a warranty repair.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 08:08 PM   #71
playford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Could be that once all the ETA movements are retired and Tudor goes fully in-house, the models with ETA will command a premium for this exact reason. Then again, this issue seems limited to just the GMT.

They already command a premium for the retired eta black bays, I have no doubt once the heritage chronos go from shops, suddenly people will want what they can't have.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:44 PM   #72
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
They already command a premium for the retired eta black bays, I have no doubt once the heritage chronos go from shops, suddenly people will want what they can't have.
I picked up a BB Heritage 41 this summer at an AD for MSRP; last ETA the dealer had in stock. Although I initially wanted to go with an in-house movement, am pleased I got the ETA.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:03 AM   #73
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

I hope Tudor will solve this problem quickly.
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:50 AM   #74
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Unacceptable BS. I would never waste my time, or money. Plenty of less expensive better reliability watches on the market. Try and get your money back, little chance.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 03:34 AM   #75
I_am_Ned
"TRF" Member

Totally unacceptable OP. The warranty card on my Tudor GMT is June 2018. I wore it (almost flawlessly for nine months when the date issue repeatedly occurred. Sent to Dallas RSC May 28th, returned 8/14, so two and a half months. Communication was good. I had one issue in that I use a regular (non-rivet) bracelet on my watch, and they required it be replaced at $800, so I mailed in separately my leather deployant that came on the watch. I sent the watch in directly, so perhaps it was easier for me to communicate with RSC. So far no issue upon return, but it has only been a bit over a month, and I haven't hit again the 25th date that seemed to be around when the date issue occured.
I_am_Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 08:23 AM   #76
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post

Yep, they are out of movements. If I do not get it back by January 2020 I will ask Rolex for a full refund or a new replacement watch right away and if they refuse then I will be bringing Rolex to small claims court and I know I will win regardless of their legal team. Been there done that even against bigger companies.

But as a consolation prize, today I bought myself a new Ball GMT. Built like a tank and looks amazing on the wrist.

Movement
◆ Automatic caliber BALL RR1201-C
◆ Chronometer certified COSC

Functions

◆ 43 micro gas tubes on hour, minute, second time zone hands, dial and bezel for night reading capability

◆ Luminous three time zone indication

◆ Hours, minutes, sweep seconds and date

Shock resistance
◆ 7,500Gs

Water resistance
◆ 100m / 330ft

Antimagnetic
◆ 4,800A/m
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballgmt.JPG (96.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 21 September 2019, 08:38 AM   #77
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
That Ball is a Beauty!

Bet the date wheel works too!

Enjoy!

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 08:45 AM   #78
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Michael - how were you able to get one this early? Are they out now? Would you mind sharing your source?

That lume looks wicked! Tempted!

Thanks,

Ben
Old 21 September 2019, 09:38 AM   #79
daytonagmt
"TRF" Member

I sent it back for the 3rd time. They said they will replace the entire movement this time. Unbelievable! How could a big brand make this mistake? I hope replacing the entire movement will solve the issue and I don't have to send it back for the 4th time.

I just don't get it. I have owned a Batman for 5 years. It works perfectly fine. Why is Rolex GMT so reliable, but Tudor GMT so unreliable?

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk
daytonagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 11:33 AM   #80
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Yep, they are out of movements. If I do not get it back by January 2020 I will ask Rolex for a full refund or a new replacement watch right away and if they refuse then I will be bringing Rolex to small claims court and I know I will win regardless of their legal team. Been there done that even against bigger companies.

But as a consolation prize, today I bought myself a new Ball GMT. Built like a tank and looks amazing on the wrist.

Movement
◆ Automatic caliber BALL RR1201-C
◆ Chronometer certified COSC

Functions

◆ 43 micro gas tubes on hour, minute, second time zone hands, dial and bezel for night reading capability

◆ Luminous three time zone indication

◆ Hours, minutes, sweep seconds and date

Shock resistance
◆ 7,500Gs

Water resistance
◆ 100m / 330ft

Antimagnetic
◆ 4,800A/m

It’s really nice I’m intrigued.

Just wondering, how does that tall crown/crown protector assembly affect your wrist, if at all?

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:13 PM   #81
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Mine was handed over to AD in July Screenshot_2019-09-19-18-07-07-0849132677_EDIT_1.jpeg

Sent from my Z2121 using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 03:09 PM   #82
"TRF" Member

I can understand the frustration, but it may be possible that the long wait represents a design problem rather a repair problem. It is a new movement design for Tudor. Perhaps they ran into an unexpected design or parts problem and now they are in process of resolving that. So, no one would be able to get a "repair" until that is sorted out.

I don't have any inside info, but I have worked on teams that released a new product to find problems later (design and supplier) that took a considerable amount of time to resolve for a real fix.

In the mean time "loud" or "impatient" customers would get replacements, but those were just more of the same defective parts, aimed to keep them pacified until the real issue was fixed.

As for all the hate for the "hot swaps", who knows, that could just be something to cover the short term lack of training/support OR gain data sets from real world use OR could be how they do it OR maybe they let you keep yours if willing to wait. OR any combo of that. Maybe service becomes just like any other movement once there are parts and support.

Honestly, how many people have had these new Tudor movemnts serviced? They are barely a year old. I haven't seen too much practical experience of this, mostly seems to be rumor/hate propagating in forums

Hope OP gets his watch back soon!
Personally, I'd prefer to keep my original movement and case together.
002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 04:48 PM   #83
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Michael - how were you able to get one this early? Are they out now? Would you mind sharing your source?

That lume looks wicked! Tempted!

Thanks,

Ben
You are referring to the new GMT by Ball - that has not yet been released (but they are taking pre-orders on their site). Mine has been out for a while now.

Here is my review after owning it for a day.

Two words to describe it. Tool Watch. This watch is built like a tank and is probably the toughest watch I have ever owned. It has some real heft to it and feels like it was hewn out of a solid block of Kryptonite. I don't even think Thor's hammer could put a dent in it.

The lume uses Tritium and is unlike anything I have ever seen before, as it does not need any light source to work. In the dark, the colors are a marvel to look at. If you like to see your watch glow in the dark then this should be on your bucket list.

The bracelet and buckle are excellent: very strongly built, with brushed outer and polished inner links. It uses screw fittings rather than the cheap friction fit collar and pin links. Instead of using a using a flimsy spring bar, it uses four screws to hold the solid end-links in place at the lugs. The 'barn doors' double folding clasp closes like a bank fault. There is no way this watch will ever accidentally fall off your wrist.

To answer a question: "How does that tall crown/crown protector assembly affect your wrist, if at all?"...The crown guard clasp does not impact the wrist at all and feels very comfortable to wear.

The quality, fit and finish is damn good and in terms of capabilities and specifications - nothing is missing. It has it all. The company began in 1891 hence, it has a respectable provenance behind it as well.

I paid a discounted price of $2,700 for it and as far as I am concerned - that was a bargain. Although I am a big fan of Rolex and Tudor, I can say with certainty that this watch is something to talk about.

Oh' they also make a Batman version as well and it looks stunning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballwatch.JPG (84.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 21 September 2019, 04:55 PM   #84
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are referring to the new GMT by Ball - that has not yet been released (but they are taking pre-orders on their site). Mine has been out for a while now.

Two words to describe it. Tool Watch. This watch is built like a tank and is probably the toughest watch I have ever owned. It has some real heft to it and feels like it was hewn out of a solid block of Kryptonite. I don't even think Thor's hammer could put a dent in it.

The lume uses Tritium and is unlike anything I have ever seen before, as it does not need any light source to work. In the dark, the colors are a marvel to look at. If you like to see your watch glow in the dark then this should be on your bucket list.

The bracelet and buckle are excellent: very strongly built, with brushed outer and polished inner links. It uses screw fittings rather than the cheap friction fit collar and pin links. Instead of using a using a flimsy spring bar, it uses four screws to hold the solid end-links in place at the lugs. The 'barn doors' double folding clasp closes like a bank fault. There is no way this watch will ever accidentally fall off your wrist.

To answer a question: "How does that tall crown/crown protector assembly affect your wrist, if at all?"...The crown guard clasp does not impact the wrist at all and feels very comfortable to wear.

The quality, fit and finish is damn good and in terms of capabilities and specifications - nothing is missing. It has it all. The company began in 1891 hence, it has a respectable provenance behind it as well.

I paid a discounted price of $2,700 for it and as far as I am concerned - that was a bargain. Although I am a big fan of Rolex and Tudor, I can say with certainty that this watch is something to talk about.

Glad you found a watch that sings to you OP.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:09 PM   #85
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagmt View Post
I sent it back for the 3rd time. They said they will replace the entire movement this time. Unbelievable! How could a big brand make this mistake? I hope replacing the entire movement will solve the issue and I don't have to send it back for the 4th time.

I just don't get it. I have owned a Batman for 5 years. It works perfectly fine. Why is Rolex GMT so reliable, but Tudor GMT so unreliable?

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk
Please let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 25 September 2019, 07:44 AM   #86
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

This is quite unsettling. Both the problem and the fix. It is sounding like a design flaw, so let's hope it is just isolated to the GMTs. But, you would not expect this from a company that crows so much about its rigorous QC and testing. They talk up how they simulate years of use and abuse to uncover these kind of issues. It reminds me of some other companies like Apple, where they just basically stonewall, replacing the faulty ones with more faulty ones, kicking the can down the road until the warranty runs out. Eventually the customer just tires out and eats it. Hope that it not what Tudor is up to. The CPA eventually came down on Apple. Now they pretty much offer lifetime free repairs on design problems, as it should be for things meant to last a very long time.
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 07:52 AM   #87
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

Very unsettling indeed! Both the problem and the fix. So much for them crowing about their rigorous QC and testing that simulates years of use and abuse! Let's hope it's a just design flaw related only to GMTs. And that they're not just kicking the can down the road to run out the warranty...
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 08:30 AM   #88
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks, buddy - absolutely awesome choice! Hardly a consolation prize!

Ben
Old 25 September 2019, 08:47 AM   #89
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I have no issue with my Tudor GMT but my BB Chrono went back due to the minute hand not zeroing, but stopping at the 1 minute mark at reset. I sent it 12 Sept. Yesterday I learned that it has been logged in and should be returned by mid Oct.

I have a Ball GMT chrono which is bigger and heavier than the DSSD. It looks busy, and it is, but not as bad as this stinky photo. It's a real chunk on the wrist.

Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 12:46 PM   #90
OmniAtlas
"TRF" Member

Repaired 7 months ago, now having the day date issue again - that in 1 year of ownership. Unacceptable.

Can I get my money back? Perhaps I should have saved up for a Rolex GMT instead.
OmniAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote