The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 September 2019, 09:13 AM   #31
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I guess OP learned a good lesson today from TRF members

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 09:16 AM   #32
HankScorpio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherio View Post
...currently I own a black sky dweller, a polar, a Batman, and a Wimbledon WG bezel on oyster
I feel sorry for you as well. No Pepsi, no Hulk, the black skydweller, and only one PM piece. Sorry man, I hope things turn around for you.

Hope you can get your Pepsi.
Old 21 September 2019, 09:19 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Only buy what you want to wear and enjoy.
Old 21 September 2019, 09:23 AM   #34
58junior
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Mine also felt sorry and offered a Black Bay

You should have taken it. Blackbay 41 or GMT is a very nice watch. A year from now we will all forget about the mythical Rolex unobtainium sportwatch and will be bitching about the lack of Tudor availability and 20% Grey Marget markups.
Old 21 September 2019, 09:26 AM   #35
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The DSSD JC 126660 is on fire as with all the top tier modern models. It’s THE alpha dive model and possibly the best dial Rolex has ever made. New design with the new movement, what’s not to love if your into alpha Rolex models. That said you have to be the right kind of guy to feel comfortable wearing such a large and aggressive looking watch. It’s the only current Rolex model that makes my knees buckle and my Amex card ready to pounce. You should never need to be talked into a watch like this. It really chooses you.
Old 21 September 2019, 09:29 AM   #36
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
...you still won’t be able to do the Pepsi challenge. Don’t buy that James Cameron
Old 21 September 2019, 09:30 AM   #37
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Strange thing is, I’m not sure if I like it or not, currently I own a black sky dweller, a polar, a Batman, and a Wimbledon WG bezel on oyster so I guess the deep sea is not a bad addition, given that the dial color is amazing, but that’s about all I like in the watch.

Oddly enough I explained that to my AD, his response was once it arrives, if I don’t want it it’s no problem, but he did suggest that I should take it nevertheless since it’s never going to loose value.
Jeez! Really?

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 21 September 2019, 09:39 AM   #38
dori
Banned

AD felt sorry for me

Buddy just buy the watch if you want it and love it. Definitely don’t listen to no AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 09:45 AM   #39
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Checked in with my AD yesterday...and apparently he eventually felt sorry for me, and kinda reluctantly offered to put my name on the James Cameron waiting list ( expected within a couple of months )...
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think he feels sorry for you. The rest explains why.

Quote:
...but he did suggest that I should take it nevertheless since it’s never going to loose value.
It already does. Sourcing a 126660 at or less than MSRP on the grey market isn't difficult. Furthermore, prices for Sea-Dwellers all across the board have come down slightly this summer, as is evident by how many are available at ADs. You don't have to look too far, actually- if you simply browse the forums here, you'll see just how many members were offered a James Cameron in the past couple of weeks or so.

Quote:
Any owners of the James Cameron our there care to share their opinion? should I buy it and see if I like it, and if I don’t and try to sell it does it tend to loose value? MSRP is around 13,200 US$
Whether you should or not is up to you, but common sense dictates that if you don't enjoy it, you're wasting your money and time.

The James Cameron isn't going to be a piece that skyrockets in value years from now- there are simply too many of them around in great/excellent condition. If you're looking for a quick flip, then you should understand the risks that go with it; there are public records of the JC selling for under MSRP, and unless you get lucky, you're going to end up working hard to offload it at or above MSRP.

If your AD is trying to get you to buy stuff so you can accrue some unit of loyalty with the store, ultimately leading to the 126710BLRO, then that's a very different story.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:04 PM   #40
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I had an AD offer me a Tag in lieu of a BLNR. True story.
That’s a kick in the stones
Old 21 September 2019, 09:27 PM   #41
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Buy the watch you love,,
AD is being very naughty,,,smoke and mirrors disguised as empathy,,,
Patronising and condescending attitude to a person willing to spend $$$$$,,
Bad form ,,,
Old 21 September 2019, 09:57 PM   #42
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Ohh, boy.
He is really helping you.

So, you want a watch and he is helping you getting a different model, a bit more expensive.
This is what I call going beyond expectations

😀😂
Old 21 September 2019, 10:06 PM   #43
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
If you have to ask... I'd pass on it.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 21 September 2019, 10:08 PM   #44
emtee
"TRF" Member

Can’t believe how crazy things have got where people will buy any Rolex just because they can even if they don’t want it. Madness!
Old 21 September 2019, 10:15 PM   #45
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think he feels sorry for you. The rest explains why.

It already does.Sourcing a 126660 at or less than MSRP on the grey market isn't difficult. Furthermore, prices for Sea-Dwellers all across the board have come down slightly this summer, as is evident by how many are available at ADs. You don't have to look too far, actually- if you simply browse the forums here, you'll see just how many members were offered a James Cameron in the past couple of weeks or so.

Whether you should or not is up to you, but common sense dictates that if you don't enjoy it, you're wasting your money and time.

The James Cameron isn't going to be a piece that skyrockets in value years from now- there are simply too many of them around in great/excellent condition. If you're looking for a quick flip, then you should understand the risks that go with it; there are public records of the JC selling for under MSRP, and unless you get lucky, you're going to end up working hard to offload it at or above MSRP.

If your AD is trying to get you to buy stuff so you can accrue some unit of loyalty with the store, ultimately leading to the 126710BLRO, then that's a very different story.
No way. There is a lot less 126660 DSSD JC out there than about any other model like the BLNR, LVC, etc... For example there are 11 total on Chrono 24 in the USA verses 195 BLNR Batman, 165 LVC Hulk, 122 BLRO Pepsi.

The new DSSD JC has been on my radar and I have been watching the updated 126660 D-Sea since it’s Baselworld 2018 release. It has held a firm $16k and up price point. Pre owned is in the $15k range. The older 116660 JC is trading above msrp. I have been following with our trusted sellers and Chrono 24.
Yea, 3 years ago I bought a new Hulk for under msrp but those days are gone. I am not saying he should buy the watch but finding a DSSD JC at msrp is extremely rare.
Old 21 September 2019, 10:20 PM   #46
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Tourneau in my area had DSSD on display for sale yesterday which surprised me

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 11:11 PM   #47
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Bait-and-switch
Old 21 September 2019, 11:13 PM   #48
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Sorry for your luck. I wouldn't settle on anything less than what I want.
In my case however, I actually prefer the JC over the BLRO.
Old 21 September 2019, 11:27 PM   #49
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
Felt sorry for you by selling you a $4k more expensive watch you didn’t ask for...priceless!
I was thinking the same
Old 21 September 2019, 11:32 PM   #50
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
My wife has a saying when she is buying clothes that I have adopted for when I’m buying watches..........

“If it’s not a Hell yea, it’s a no”

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 21 September 2019, 11:32 PM   #51
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Felt sorry for you by selling you a $4k more expensive watch you didn’t ask for...priceless!
Lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I dont think ADs feel sorry for anyone.
Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
They don't that is for sure.
You are getting played, using your emotions and desire to "please him" against you. You think that if you buy this that it will give you favor with a BLRO, don't be a sucker. If he was ever going to sell you a BLRO, this Deepsea won't get you closer, he's just offloading inventory on a sucker and you'll still be number 36 in line for the BLRO.

Plus you don't even like the watch. Ever been talked into eating a roast garlic poop sandwich when you actually wanted pizza.
I just don't understand this today, I buy the watch I want and I know what that watch is before I enter the store. You can't sell me some random consolation prize, unless of course I was just into walking around stores spending thousands of dollars for fun on stuff I really don't want because I just don't like seeing that money sit in my bank...poor money, so bored in the bank.
Old 21 September 2019, 11:33 PM   #52
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
My wife has a saying when she is buying clothes that I have adopted for when I’m buying watches..........

Awesome advice.
Old 22 September 2019, 01:37 AM   #53
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
My AD felt sorry for me and offered me a $62K RG PP. He is such a thoughtful and caring person. But...the watch didn’t “sing to me” the same way the SS Daytona did, so I passed.
Old 22 September 2019, 01:39 AM   #54
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post

Or...”if it doesn’t spark joy...”
Old 22 September 2019, 02:02 AM   #55
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Quoted for truth! Lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 22 September 2019, 02:20 AM   #56
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Well the OP has brought up an interesting perspective, for me. I continue to see this well developed group of people who insist on purchasing only from the AD. In this case the OP wants BLRO and was offered the next 126660 deep blue. The 126660 deep blue is an amazing watch, too big for me, but very nice for to those who own one. If we pretend that after purchasing the deep blue you will be offered a BLRO, let's look at the numbers. I am in California and will use my sales tax, After tax the 126660 will be $13711 a BLRO $10106. For the total of $23817. I would be looking to pay up to $18500 for a BLRO on the secondary market, not waist time building a fake relationship, and then trying to resell the watch you don't want but you have tied up your money. With chrono24 raising their commissions, looking for selllers with lower overhead may get a better deal. Also the likelihood you get a BLRO after purchasing the deep sea is probably 0.0%. You would probably need another purchase of a PM model. Now go do the math after buying and selling the PM piece. Just buy the BLRO and have it on your wrist next week. My.02
Old 22 September 2019, 03:09 AM   #57
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Agree with folks. AD is offering you a more expensive watch for which they have a wider margin and if anything, his comment that you would not lose value, almost encourages you to flip it.
Old 22 September 2019, 03:34 AM   #58
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
, but he did suggest that I should take it nevertheless since it’s never going to loose value.
US$
The SA actually said that’s it’s never going to loose value? How insightful of him. I guess he is the only person who actually knows this to be a fact. Personally, I’d thank him for his wisdom and guidance and never speak to him again. He’s an absolute phony.

I love my Dblue, and have no plans on selling it, so I wouldn’t know how it values out.
Old 23 September 2019, 06:36 PM   #59
James Nye 1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 White
Yep I agree with a few comments above, only buy what you love.
Old 23 September 2019, 06:42 PM   #60
grimps
"TRF" Member

I was in a position to buy both versions of the James Cameron at retail and sold them both to friends , its a great looking watch but felt like I was wearing a brick
Closed Thread