The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 April 2021, 02:33 AM   #1
gajag
"TRF" Member

RSC Service Parts for 1016

I'm interested in getting the Rolex 1016 for my everyday watch. Unfortunately it's very hard to find one in mint condition with a reasonable price.

Does it make sense to buy a cheap one in a beaten-up condition, and have RSC replace the bad parts with new service parts? I don't care about preserving original/period-correct parts and resale value. I only care about the looks and aesthetics of the watch.

I've also heard that RSC may refuse to service watches that are too old. What year is the cut-off for 1016?
gajag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 03:39 AM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajag View Post
I'm interested in getting the Rolex 1016 for my everyday watch. Unfortunately it's very hard to find one in mint condition with a reasonable price.

Does it make sense to buy a cheap one in a beaten-up condition, and have RSC replace the bad parts with new service parts? I don't care about preserving original/period-correct parts and resale value. I only care about the looks and aesthetics of the watch.

I've also heard that RSC may refuse to service watches that are too old. What year is the cut-off for 1016?
Probably the worst route to go - you will spend more in the long run and end up with a service parts watch. Best to spend a little more on a 1016 you really like that needs nothing
Old 17 April 2021, 04:03 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Personally I agree with @linesiders. Even if you pay the correct price for a 1016 with service parts, it's still a waste of real money IMO. Every watch gets resold eventually.

However, taking your post at face value, it's a plausible strategy, although it would be safer just to buy one that has already been serviced. Each RSC is a bit different with respect to the vintage watches they will service, so it's hard to know in advance. Every project has the potential to go down a rabbit hole.
Old 17 April 2021, 04:58 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajag View Post
. . .

. . .
Cost to value is something that some consider important.

As a watch enthusiast I say that any older or abused watch that we can rescue is what we should be doing.

I would ask, if you buy an original, mint, collectible, would you actually wear it as it should be worn. If you rebuild one that needs it, there is personal satisfaction and pride in your accomplishment, plus you have a really great watch on your wrist.

If we don't, who will? Should older, beat up, watches simply be tossed.
Old 17 April 2021, 05:07 AM   #5
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Does RSC still service four digit models?
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 05:20 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDREW22 View Post
Does RSC still service four digit models?
Apparently it's on a case-by-case basis, depending on the watch and the specific RSC. You can find many threads on the topic.
Old 17 April 2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Woody
"TRF" Member

I took the same approach with a 1680 - I bought an example for a reasonable price that already had a service dial, handset, bezel, bracelet etc. I had the option of sourcing period correct replacement parts or going down the RSC refurbishment route.....which is the option I chose as I wanted a fully functional watch that I could use as originally intended. RSC agreed to service the watch (1979 example) and to replace the mid-case - the end result was a fully functional watch that I wear pretty much every day (I can swim with it and it happily deals with the high humidity environment in which I live). Now, this is not an option for the purists and the cost can be significant, but the outcome for me was ideal and just what I was looking for. The key is to be able to source a reasonably correct "donor" watch.....this is becoming increasingly hard and I think you will have a real challenge locating a 1016 (even in completely beat-up condition) for a reasonable price. The market has gone mad since I purchased my 1680 and had RSC sort it. That said, if you are not terribly interested in resale prices (which I am not) and like the style and low-key look of the older 4 digit Rolex sports watches then you should try to make it happen - as others have said, if you can save an old beat-up watch and bring it back to life to enjoy for many more years to come then why not? Good luck with your project.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 09:26 PM   #8
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
If I were doing it all again and started with the question of the 1016, I'd've bought an R serial in top condition and just swallowed the price. Because after years of wearing vintage Rolex, the 1016 has gradually become my everyday watch, I hardly wear the others and shortly will be selling (or trading!) them. If the 1016 is your dream watch and will get 95% of your wrist time, get the best one you can afford and DONE. Good luck in the search - and when the day arrives, post a pic!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 09:28 PM   #9
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Just to be clear - like above - old watches deserve to be restored. The hard part is having RSC do it and doing it in a cost effective way with the period correct parts.