The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 September 2018, 11:20 PM   #1
CHRIS BOW
"TRF" Member

Gmt master 16753 dial discoloration

First timer user of forum, as any one had this problem? My 16753 gmt master is gradually darkening or turning brown, originally the dial was a lovely orange colour, now it is a horrible 80% brown! Do the call this orange dial "tiger eye"? Any information or same experience of this problem would be very welcome, thank you.
CHRIS BOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 05:04 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Its called a tropical dial. There are probably about half of us who would pay a premium for a dial with this effect. Google "16753 tropical" and you will see this is not terribly uncommon. Its caused by some defective varnish Rolex used on dials...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 04:24 PM   #3
CHRIS BOW
"TRF" Member

Many thanks TOM, For information, will Google as advised, Always thought the Orange colour dials was Annodised alloy, but this effect or defect, possibly caused by faulty overcovering with Laquer, CHRIS.
Old 10 September 2018, 06:59 PM   #4
athom
"TRF" Member

It's funny because we all find it horrible till someone decided it costs 15 times the price of a good condition one
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 07:04 PM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
It's funny because we all find it horrible till someone decided it costs 15 times the price of a good condition one
It only costs more as long as it looks more pretty. Let’s have some pics of this watch and we can try to call it tropical, damaged or night sky patina..
Old 12 September 2018, 03:55 PM   #6
gman5515
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS BOW View Post
First timer user of forum, as any one had this problem? My 16753 gmt master is gradually darkening or turning brown, originally the dial was a lovely orange colour, now it is a horrible 80% brown! Do the call this orange dial "tiger eye"? Any information or same experience of this problem would be very welcome, thank you.

if your 16753 is an early 70s, with an applied rolex coronet at 12 o clock, which should be a matt dial, it does tend to change colour, depending on the exposure to sunlight and air.

I stand corrected, but my understanding of tiger eye dials, are the later 70s dials, which have a bit of shimmer on them, with a painted rolex coronet..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT-20401-1.jpg (117.5 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Root beer.jpg (213.4 KB, 386 views)
Old 14 September 2018, 05:43 AM   #7
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5515 View Post
if your 16753 is an early 70s, with an applied rolex coronet at 12 o clock, which should be a matt dial, it does tend to change colour, depending on the exposure to sunlight and air.

I stand corrected, but my understanding of tiger eye dials, are the later 70s dials, which have a bit of shimmer on them, with a painted rolex coronet..

16753 never had an applied coronet or matte dial, this was the 1675/3. Your comments are correct for the 1675/3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 05:51 AM   #8
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Gmt master 16753 dial discoloration

A friend/collector bought a solid gold sub, it was a blue dial but now is purple, it has OEM diamond markers. The coolest color, almost like a candy dark purple from a hot rod. The original owner thought it was a defect and sold it for bottom market value. He was shocked to learn that he probably bought a pretty desirable watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:45 PM   #9
CHRIS BOW
"TRF" Member

Gmt master 16753 dial discoloration - image

Many thanks to all submitting to this thread, Now uploaded image of dial discoloration,as can be seen extent of problem, Not quite sure about more desirable effect as is now, Found loads of Images of 19753 Tropical with same problem, but no information on rectification back to original, or whether Tropical dial is still obtainable, Rolex dealers not very forthcoming, others than let us send your watch to service centre in London, Any experience of this problem is still very welcome,
thanks, Chris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_small_image.jpg (228.2 KB, 302 views)
Old 16 September 2018, 08:12 AM   #10
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Many thanks to all submitting to this thread, Now uploaded image of dial discoloration,as can be seen extent of problem, Not quite sure about more desirable effect as is now, Found loads of Images of 19753 Tropical with same problem, but no information on rectification back to original, or whether Tropical dial is still obtainable, Rolex dealers not very forthcoming, others than let us send your watch to service centre in London, Any experience of this problem is still very welcome,

thanks, Chris.

The original colour was the darker colour. The dark lacquer is deteriorating and showing the light orange through. It doesn’t look great to my eye but some may like it. You can pick up a replacement dial and sell this, it still has some value.

Old 16 September 2018, 11:09 PM   #11
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
A friend/collector bought a solid gold sub, it was a blue dial but now is purple, it has OEM diamond markers. The coolest color, almost like a candy dark purple from a hot rod. The original owner thought it was a defect and sold it for bottom market value. He was shocked to learn that he probably bought a pretty desirable watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rolex never made a blue dial sub with OEM diamonds until very recently I’m afraid. Either aftermarket dial or diamonds which would explain the rock bottom price.

Old 18 September 2018, 01:46 PM   #12
gman5515
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
16753 never had an applied coronet or matte dial, this was the 1675/3. Your comments are correct for the 1675/3.

Thanks for the correction Waspy1, i forgot about the slash.
Old 19 September 2018, 11:01 PM   #13
CHRIS BOW
"TRF" Member

Think you may be wrong WASPY 1 about dark area being original colour, have owned this watch from new purchased in 1989 and have observed the original colour of bright Orange turn to the darker area, any info on where to pick up replacement Tropical dial is most appreciated,
Old 20 September 2018, 08:37 AM   #14
waspy1
Banned

Rolex still supply the dials although they will have Luminova instead of tritium so only worthwhile if also changing hands. I have a service dial and hands on my 1675/3 and think it looks great. The 16753 dial is similar but not with the nipple plots.

Old 20 September 2018, 10:27 AM   #15
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks, Chris.
I personally would wear it. Did you buy it as an investment or something to wear (or both)? Might take longer to find the right buyer but I don't think you're taking too big a hit on price in the long run. Call it an "Autumnal" dial and put a premium on it .

Whatever. Imho, It's part of the vintage story.
Old 21 September 2018, 10:32 PM   #16
CHRIS BOW
"TRF" Member

Gmt 16753 dial discolouration

Hi, Tom , Originally bought by my wife as a be- lated wedding present, you could say this is my "wedding ring", so no intention of ever selling, value is immatetial also, Dial is only issue with watch, can find none anywhere in same , condition, no marks or scratches at all, mainly because of very little use and that I am very careful, intend to let Rolex have this for evaluate problem in next few weeks when I get back to UK, Many thanks Tom for conversation, CHRIS.
Old 22 September 2018, 03:22 AM   #17
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Its not a problem. Only let Rolex service. They will try and replace a lot of your piece and dont let them do a thing, knowing its your wedding ring gives it even more import to keep original imho.