The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Icon7 My Grail Clock

So...... As many of you know, I collect antique clocks, specifically from a company called Telechron and all pre-WW2. Why? I just think it’s cool... call me a Dorklehead. Anyway, a model that really got me in to it is a novelty, called the “Monitor Top”. In the mid 20s, General Electric purchased Telechron, and for many years the name GE-Telechron appeared on the dial. Finally, in the 50s, it was changed to just GE. To celebrate this union, a specialty clock was created in the form of the successful GE refrigerator, called the Monitor top. This clock was never sold in stores, instead it was given to customers that purchased a refrigerator, as a free add-on. This went on for four years, 1928, 29, 30 and 31.

The first model, I’ll just call the 28, is the first one pictured below. GE-Telechron made around 5,000 of these, and this model was given away in 28 and 29. On Ebay, and other sites, you can find these anywhere from $200 up to $600, depending on their condition. I fully restored this one.

In 1930, a new model was introduced that had some obvious changes. A second hand was added, the dial was slightly different, and the number of rings on the top was reduced from 16 to 14. It also used a model J or C Rotor, where the earlier model used the now phased-out B Rotor. Telechron made 16,000 of these and being more common, you can find them for anywhere from $150 to $300. The second picture is my model 30.

Well..... Ever since I started collecting these clocks, there was a RUMOR going around about a model that even pre-dated the 28. The STORY is, that a very limited number of this model were produced, I have heard anywhere from 40 to 100, and they were strictly given to the executives of GE from the executives of Telechron, as a gift celebrating the purchase. Again, the STORY (none of this has ever been proved to my knowledge) is that the GE execs liked them so much, they had more built and started the give-away program. The story was, this looked exactly like a standard 28 model, but was actually produced in 1927, and the only difference is the General Electric plaque on top was much larger, slightly over three inches long. I searched and spoke with my clock club members, looked, but I had never even seen a picture of one. Even the book that is considered the bible for Telechron collectors, written by Jim Linz, talks about the long emblem, but does not have a picture of it. Five years ago I started a quest to find and obtain one of these “Rumored” clocks.

About a month ago... I visited a fellow collector, an elderly gentleman that had devoted an entire section of his house to a truly impressive display. I was in awe. Anyway, I brought up the 27, jokingly. He stared at me for a moment and said: “Follow me.” We went to a room with a walk in safe, and....

There it was. (Introduce Angel-heaven music here). I touched it, held it, I think I kissed it. Anyway, I (again jokingly) asked if he would sell it to me. To my incredible suprise, he said... sure.

I have heard (again rumors) that IF you could find one they would sell for two to three thousand dollars. I was prepared to pay that much but he said: “No, that’s too much, I’m getting old, I want it to go to someone that will cherish it as much as I did, so you’ll give me. ... ...”. At first I argued with him, but he was adamant. Let’s just say I got it for the preverbal steal; (I never did believe that Porsche in the barn story until now). I don’t remember the rest of the day, except that I put it in the passager seat of my car with the seat belt strapped over and talked to it all the way home.... at 20 MPH.

I immediately sent it off to an expert, to be serviced and authenticated; (again, there were more stories about collectors making up the longer emblem and putting them on a standard 28). I received it back a few days ago, it is running perfect, authentic, and in MY living room.

So.... my five year quest has come to an end. I am sure I will find something else to lust after, but having this clock, something I have searched for and coveted for so long..... it’s ... just cool.

If you ever see these clocks, look for the long emblem.

Hope you enjoyed my story.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:25 PM   #2
MoreCowdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Very cool!! I read your whole post and then looked at the photos, for some reason I expected the clocks to be bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MoreCowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:26 PM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:50 PM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Fabulous story and HUGE CONGRATS Paul!!!!

Cool looking clock.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:42 PM   #5
Latrodectus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
That is a fantastic story! I am very glad you found this one. So... not wear it in good health ... but look at it in good health

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:57 PM   #6
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Interesting reading about how the pre quartz clocks worked and even in turn helped to regulate the grid system.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telechron

I look forward to getting the Electrifying Time book.

One of my favourite clocks is an early quartz clock from 1944 made by the Post Office and on display the Greenwich museum.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collect...cts/79394.html
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:07 PM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Paul I love it!
I saved the pic just in case in our travels to different antique shops I ever come across one. Congratulations on attaining your grail, great story!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:16 PM   #8
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Congrats Paul, and great story to go with it
Old 20 September 2018, 08:16 PM   #9
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Congrats Paul
Good for you and good on the gentleman collector who passed it on into good hands.
That '27 is quite impressive, in beautiful condition and very rare.
Used to be my grail clock, too

. . . . . . . . . until I came across the '26
Old 20 September 2018, 08:40 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:06 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great story Paul, thank you for sharing. I love the passion you have for all things (including Tumi).

Congratulations on your grail brother
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:07 PM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
My Grail Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Congrats Paul

Good for you and good on the gentleman collector who passed it on into good hands.

Ha........

And then there is the ‘25 1/2.

Paul, two questions.
1. Are these metal cabinets?
2. What is the circle in the dial below the 12 o’clock marker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:42 PM   #13
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I think we all dream of finding the grail of our various hobbies. Congratulations on getting yours.

A good sanding and some spray paint will make that baby sparkle!
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:48 PM   #14
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats Paul...Enjoy! Kudos to the elderly gentleman who passed it on.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:02 AM   #15
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Congrats Paul! It looks great. You need Tumi to create a travel case for that clock so you can take it anywhere! Lol

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:43 AM   #16
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I love this kind of stuff.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 02:01 AM   #17
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I'm into key wound clocks. They require some devotion to keep them working and to keep relatively good time but I like that about them. Even moving the clock from one spot on the wall to another required tinkering with the timing again to get it to be fairly accurate.

Plus, if the power goes out I can still tell time by them. ;)

My grail clock is a grandfather clock of some sort.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 02:40 AM   #18
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
That’s pretty cool Paul and a great story.
Congratulations!
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 02:54 AM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Ha........

And then there is the ‘25 1/2.

Paul, two questions.
1. Are these metal cabinets?
2. What is the circle in the dial below the 12 o’clock marker?
OK!!!!! NOW YOU TWO JUST STOP IT!!!!!! I just finished one grail hunt and don’t need to start another I could see everyone on here hounding me for the rest of my life.... “Oh yeah, and the 21... and the 19... don’t forget about the 1834 model...

And I love to talk about Telechron clocks, so thanks for the questions Brandon

Yes, they are metal and quite heavy, each clock weighs about seven pounds. I assumed they were cast iron, but the expert explained they were an alloy of some other metals, zinc... and.. something or other.

The circle in the middle is an interesting story and a signature feature of Telechron. In the early days of AC electric powered clocks, they would not run when you first plugged them in, you had to spin a knob on the back to actually start the clock. Telechron was one of the first to introduce the “self starter” I.e., plug in the power cord and the clock starts up. Ironically, this introduced an issue that customers complained about. Electricity in the early days was not as reliable as it is today, and from what I read, it was not uncommon to have frequent but short outages to homes. With the manual-start electric clock, you come home, see the clock stopped and know you would have to reset it to the correct time. With the self starter, the clock would start up again as soon as the power came back on and the owner would not even know the power had gone out, and the clock was showing incorrect time. So Telechron introduced the “Red Dot” you see on almost all models. If the power is interupted, the red dot shows up in that circle and you know it is not on the correct time. You actually have to manually reset the dot. I unplugged my 28 to demonstrate. All in all a cool product
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6938406E-66F9-4DDB-972B-2E683DD53985.jpeg (122.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 21 September 2018, 03:01 AM   #20
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Great story!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 03:08 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I'm into key wound clocks. They require some devotion to keep them working and to keep relatively good time but I like that about them. Even moving the clock from one spot on the wall to another required tinkering with the timing again to get it to be fairly accurate.

Plus, if the power goes out I can still tell time by them. ;)

My grail clock is a grandfather clock of some sort.
Hey Julian, I have a special wind up clock myself, probably got me in to this hobby. This is a Sessions, purchased by my grandmother in 1927. It is sitting on the Grebe radio she purchased in 1930, and the two sat like this in her home for almost 50 years, until she passed. Now they sit in my home office

And while I am showing this, the 1933 Telechron clock that Trace (RolexKingofLV) was so gracious to gift me is on the wall above them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 05068771-0B95-40CB-B47A-E23E15884C0E.jpeg (134.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 21 September 2018, 03:43 AM   #22
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Hey Julian, I have a special wind up clock myself, probably got me in to this hobby. This is a Sessions, purchased by my grandmother in 1927. It is sitting on the Grebe radio she purchased in 1930, and the two sat like this in her home for almost 50 years, until she passed. Now they sit in my home office

And while I am showing this, the 1933 Telechron clock that Trace (RolexKingofLV) was so gracious to gift me is on the wall above them.
I have a Baldwin mantle clock that belonged to my grandfather on my dad's side of the family. I think it is around 50-60 years old. The movement is German and the case is American made, I think it is walnut and it is in excellent condition. It still works when I take the time to wind it and it has 3 different chimes including Westminster chimes.

I should probably take it in and have it serviced just to keep it in tip top shape. It will go to my son at some point in his life.

I also have a Howard Miller wall clock that is not old at all. That's the one I keep wound as I enjoy watching the pendulum swing and listening to the chimes. It has a much deeper tone than the mantle clock which I prefer.

My sister has an old hand crank Edison phonograph that belonged to my dad. It is pretty cool and it still works.

I think I posted this link before but this is the actual phonograph my sister has. This thing is probably from the 1920s or 30s. I don't think it is worth more than a few hundred dollars but it is definitely cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFzLkqbWQ0&t=1s
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:01 AM   #23
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I have a Baldwin mantle clock that belonged to my grandfather on my dad's side of the family. I think it is around 50-60 years old. The movement is German and the case is American made, I think it is walnut and it is in excellent condition. It still works when I take the time to wind it and it has 3 different chimes including Westminster chimes.

I should probably take it in and have it serviced just to keep it in tip top shape. It will go to my son at some point in his life.

I also have a Howard Miller wall clock that is not old at all. That's the one I keep wound as I enjoy watching the pendulum swing and listening to the chimes. It has a much deeper tone than the mantle clock which I prefer.

My sister has an old hand crank Edison phonograph that belonged to my dad. It is pretty cool and it still works.

I think I posted this link before but this is the actual phonograph my sister has. This thing is probably from the 1920s or 30s. I don't think it is worth more than a few hundred dollars but it is definitely cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFzLkqbWQ0&t=1s
All very cool Things don’t have to be worth a lot of money to be valuable.
Old 21 September 2018, 05:15 AM   #24
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I have a mantle clock that my ancestors bought in 1885 according to the note on the back. It still keeps great time. I wish every product lasted 133 years.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 05:21 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Very cool Paul, Congrats!
It is definitely one of the most interesting collections one can find on these forums, these clocks carry so much history.

It makes me happy to see how passionate you are about collecting them
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote