The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2018, 05:30 PM   #91
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
When something is a big stretch it means even more, I bought my Aston 20 months ago, and every drive in it is a special as the first, you will not regret it when you get there. I did sell watches to get there and don't regret it at all, my footer tells a chunk of that story.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:52 PM   #92
Kostas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Good luck Seth , Im excited for you !
Kostas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:56 PM   #93
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
You get one life on this earth! Make it happen !
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 08:29 PM   #94
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Loving the positive comments coming from this thread guys.

Appreciate the motivation.

My wife simply rolled her eyes. I laughed.

Going to implement this savings plan as early as this week. It’ll take time, but it’ll be worth it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 08:53 PM   #95
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
You could also buy something that has been depreciated and is about to climb. Like a 360 would be very interesting, not old enough to be vintage, not new enough to be sought after, that is what my neighbor whispered to me once upon a time. I like the 456 manual as well. I was about to buy one, on the phone with the seller asking about condition when he told me he sold it (as we were speaking...).
If you truly love the California, go for it; if you mostly just want an F-car the advice above is spot on. A 360 is still "cheap" and not yet truly collectible. Find one (any any late '90's-2000's Ferrari) with a manual 6 speed and you can have a nice weekend car that will climb in value.

Worst case, as long as it was well maintained, you wouldn't lose any money on it and you'd end up driving a Ferrari for "free".
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 09:33 PM   #96
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Yet you have a Rolex?
Several

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 10:03 PM   #97
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Windfall is coming your way Seth. You are gonna make some money this year.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 10:07 PM   #98
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, it’s just around the corner.

Staying disciplined will be the hard part. Have you considered starting a seperate bank account for the Ferrari fund that you have to purposely plunder to use the funds?
Excellent idea and great way to earmark savings

Besides, Seth can always rename it: “watch fund” if he changes his mind on the Ferrari
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 10:49 PM   #99
Jtime
"TRF" Member

Seth, you know my thoughts!

All you..just stay focused and go buy that bueaty. You should come to the NY dealership so you can watch jaws and other things drop as they open the glass on Park Avenue for you to drive it out, with crowds watching in awe and silence.

I’m just saying...I’ve watched this happen and it’s pretty special
Jtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 12:32 AM   #100
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I love stories like this; working toward a goal always makes the end-game more valued. The Ferrari California is a fantastic ride, I rented one on vacation several years ago.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 08:22 PM   #101
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
So,let me see if I've got this right : you're starting to save money for a car that in 4/5 years from now you don't even know if you'll stil like it or if in the mean time your life priorities/needs have changed because of you or some outside events ? Man, I'm telling you,I don't even know what I'm gonna do in 24 hours,I think you are my new hero...
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:43 PM   #102
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
So,let me see if I've got this right : you're starting to save money for a car that in 4/5 years from now you don't even know if you'll stil like it or if in the mean time your life priorities/needs have changed because of you or some outside events ? Man, I'm telling you,I don't even know what I'm gonna do in 24 hours,I think you are my new hero...
I did always want to be someones hero.

Truth is, I am not a very good planner. Never have been. My mind changes too often, and I have gotten used to that.

What I can definitively say is that I have loved cars for as long as I can remember. And Ferrari has always been the king for me. Always.

So having a long term savings plan for something big distracts me from some of the foolish spending I have gotten used to.

But in the end, I do wonder if I will actually go through with it. 1. I wonder if I can stay focused for that long. 2. I wonder if I can actually spend that kind of cash. 3. I actually really love my SL550. So I question whether it is wise for me to upgrade, simply to upgrade. I have done this before and the feeling is fleeting.

I mentioned to Chad (Rolex Addict) last night via text. I actually have been daydreaming about getting to my savings goal and then donating it all to charity.

Over the years, I have two charities that I regularly donate to. A hospital that has a wing dedicated to children with cancer, and the ASPCA. I love the idea of writing them each a check for a 100k.

But as you say, this is an exceptionally long time away. I have never kept a watch or a car or anything besides my wife that long (in fact it is my 3 year anniversary today).

So we shall see. So far, I have put a good savings plan in place that includes continuing to save for retirement but I am funneling some of my "fun" money into this watch/car fund.

So again, my new Padawan, we shall see.

Old 24 January 2018, 11:00 PM   #103
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I did always want to be someones hero.

Truth is, I am not a very good planner. Never have been. My mind changes too often, and I have gotten used to that.

What I can definitively say is that I have loved cars for as long as I can remember. And Ferrari has always been the king for me. Always.

So having a long term savings plan for something big distracts me from some of the foolish spending I have gotten used to.

But in the end, I do wonder if I will actually go through with it. 1. I wonder if I can stay focused for that long. 2. I wonder if I can actually spend that kind of cash. 3. I actually really love my SL550. So I question whether it is wise for me to upgrade, simply to upgrade. I have done this before and the feeling is fleeting.

I mentioned to Chad (Rolex Addict) last night via text. I actually have been daydreaming about getting to my savings goal and then donating it all to charity.

Over the years, I have two charities that I regularly donate to. A hospital that has a wing dedicated to children with cancer, and the ASPCA. I love the idea of writing them each a check for a 100k.

But as you say, this is an exceptionally long time away. I have never kept a watch or a car or anything besides my wife that long (in fact it is my 3 year anniversary today).

So we shall see. So far, I have put a good savings plan in place that includes continuing to save for retirement but I am funneling some of my "fun" money into this watch/car fund.

So again, my new Padawan, we shall see.
Are any children in your future? Sometimes an addition to the family can change priorities, and a Ferrari will pale in comparison to a new son or daughter, IMO.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 11:02 PM   #104
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Are any children in your future? Sometimes an addition to the family can change priorities, and a Ferrari will pale in comparison to a new son or daughter, IMO.
No kids for us. My wife has a condition where 9 out of 10 women dont make it. Considering this, she never ever felt and need for it.

Not taking that kind of chance. And it was never a burning desire for me.

We have our dogs. And they are the love of our life.

Old 24 January 2018, 11:43 PM   #105
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
No kids for us. .
Again,you never know what life may bring you in the future. I used to think like that in my first marriage but now I have a 2 years old little boy that is the joy of my life.
Life is crazy they told me and I've experienced it in first place 5 years ago. I used to think I've had everything figured out...good job,stunning looking and hard working wife, fancy travels and 2 new rolexes every year,then I've met somebody in the same condition as me and we fell in love,obviously something was missing in our previous lives and marriages. I haven't slept in a Las Vegas or Dubai hotel suite ever since but I would never go back to THAT life,not even for a single second.
Either way,good luck with your Ferrari,but be open..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 11:51 PM   #106
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
Again,you never know what life may bring you in the future. I used to think like that in my first marriage but now I have a 2 years old little boy that is the joy of my life.
Life is crazy they told me and I've experienced it in first place 5 years ago. I used to think I've had everything figured out...good job,stunning looking and hard working wife, fancy travels and 2 new rolexes every year,then I've met somebody in the same condition as me and we fell in love,obviously something was missing in our previous lives and marriages. I haven't slept in a Las Vegas or Dubai hotel suite ever since but I would never go back to THAT life,not even for a single second.
Either way,good luck with your Ferrari.
I acknowledge that I do not know the future.

But, I waited to 40 to get married. I had no plan at all of marriage. But I will never ever risk losing my wife to try and have a kid. That will never happen. 100%.

And my wife, of whom I am today celebrating my 3 anniversary, is the one driving factor in my life.

Unless I somehow screw it up, I can say pretty definitively that kids will never happen.

Old 25 January 2018, 12:18 AM   #107
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! Best of luck on your goal of saving a nice chunk of change. If you buy a car, great for you, if you donate to worthy charities, great for you and the charities. I like your style, always positive!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 12:26 AM   #108
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But, I waited to 40 to get married. I had no plan at all of marriage. But I will never ever risk losing my wife to try and have a kid. That will never happen. 100%.

And my wife, of whom I am today celebrating my 3 anniversary, is the one driving factor in my life.

Unless I somehow screw it up, I can say pretty definitively that kids will never happen.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 01:11 AM   #109
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Happy anniversary Seth! Love the savings plan. I’ve been doing the same thing for my hobbies for years. Sadly I had to tap all my hobby funds recently to fund my business so it’s set me back on any big incomings for a few years.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 01:24 AM   #110
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Congratulations on having a goal and the desire to fulfill it. Who knows what the future will bring, but for today, pursue your goal and enjoy the sense of purpose. And the clear head. Sober for 31 years and still enjoying every day I wake up feeling clear and sharp.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 01:35 AM   #111
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
California is a great car Seth!! That would be a logical choice as the values seem to be settling in nicely now.

That is perhaps the only horse I would consider now with the 2 + 2 being the selling feature for me.

I really hope that comes together for you!! Such a cool ride!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 05:01 AM   #112
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congrats on the anniversary.

I understand what you mean about your wife. I never planned or wanted to get married. Bachelor life was way too fun. However, I bumped in to this beautiful blonde at a bar and it turns out she is my soulmate. 100% the driving factor in my life as well.
Old 30 January 2018, 04:11 PM   #113
Watchcho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Congrats on the anniversary.

I understand what you mean about your wife. I never planned or wanted to get married. Bachelor life was way too fun. However, I bumped in to this beautiful blonde at a bar and it turns out she is my soulmate. 100% the driving factor in my life as well.
So funny as that's exactly how my wife of 2 years and I met (a.k.a. at a bar). I definitely loved the bachelor life too and thought I would be the last of my friends to get married but low-and-behold. Now we have a 6 month old and I honestly couldn't ask for anything better in my life. Time flies when you meet the right person and you have tons of fun. And she let me by my '17 F-Type R ;)
Watchcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 01:05 AM   #114
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcho View Post
So funny as that's exactly how my wife of 2 years and I met (a.k.a. at a bar). I definitely loved the bachelor life too and thought I would be the last of my friends to get married but low-and-behold. Now we have a 6 month old and I honestly couldn't ask for anything better in my life. Time flies when you meet the right person and you have tons of fun. And she let me by my '17 F-Type R ;)
Congrats to you as well. Sounds like we both found winners as mine let me purchase a 2018 Porsche Cayman!
Old 31 January 2018, 01:15 AM   #115
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Congrats to you as well. Sounds like we both found winners as mine let me purchase a 2018 Porsche Cayman!
Ha. I’m having trouble convincing my wife.

She loves the SL. And considering my fast pace of changing cars around, I guess I can’t blame her.

It won’t take too long though. And I’m already, for pretty decent reasons, modifying the car I want. At least, the type of car.

Old 31 January 2018, 02:00 AM   #116
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
This is super cool thread, thanks for sharing your goal. I can't wait to see some pictures when it happens!

I'd love to do something like this, but right now with two young kids, mortgage, life expenses, etc. it's just not in the cards... maybe down the line...

Lots of luck getting what you want and having the good health to enjoy it
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 02:07 AM   #117
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Good luck, Seth.

If I quit drinking, I wouldn’t have enough at the end of the year to buy a skateboard.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 12:13 AM   #118
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
For this I salut you sir.
I like the fact that some people give to others before they give to themselves. Even though I do donate, I wish I could push my personality to do more of that.

Quote:

Old 19 August 2018, 10:27 AM   #119
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Thought I'd bump this up for you Seth. The Portofino is in and looking sharp. Say hi to Tatiana for me if you pop in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjiQF47vfOo
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:35 AM   #120
tsteph12
"TRF" Member

tsteph12 is offline   Reply With Quote