The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2018, 06:20 AM   #1
brancaj
"TRF" Member

Grandfather's Rolex Restoration 6073

I inherited my Grandfather's watch when he passed a few years back and wanted to do a full restore on it. I sent it to the Rolex factory in Dallas and it was returned saying they did not have parts for it. Currently, the watch winding mechanism is not allowing the seconds hand to move. At the very minimum, I would like to get it back to operating in full capacity. Ultimately, I wanted to find a guy to do a massive overhaul and restore the watch to it's original mint condition. The only problem I have had is locating a person to do this, and that is skilled enough to complete this task. I live in Houston and do not mind shipping the watch but would prefer to find someone local if possible. All your responses will help. Sorry I am not great with Rolex talk, so if you know any great details as well that relates to the watch please share. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial.jpg (29.4 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (27.6 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg crown.jpg (21.2 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg manufacture.jpg (17.4 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg serial.jpg (16.6 KB, 384 views)
brancaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Watchmakers International outside of Dallas used to be one of the premier Rolex restoration shops around. Still, parts for the older movements are hard to come by.
Old 15 September 2018, 12:45 AM   #3
1945Datejust
"TRF" Member

Would also recommend Tommy Taylor, R.W.T. on the forum. He's in Austin, but really easy to deal with. He knows vintage Rolex.
1945Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 10:58 PM   #4
brancaj
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses.
Old 19 September 2018, 08:47 AM   #5
1945Datejust
"TRF" Member

Not sure if you got my PM. Tommy's contact info: RolexWatchTime@att.net. He does a great job on vintage Rolex. Do not use any of the Houston AD's. One was, lets say, less than honest with me. You are in good hands with Tommy.
1945Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 05:36 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I've done quite a few of those
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 05:39 PM   #7
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

That one looks fairly clean. Mostly they are BADLY corroded. Very well might be under the caseback. Whatever metal they used on that particular case variant was VERY prone to horrible pitting.

At any rate it's really a 740 or Big Bubbleback movement with calendar. A-295. It's not shock resistant and the rotor mech is full cover. This is pre A 296. It's the big version of the 620-630NA
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:00 PM   #8
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Just get the movement serviced, don't restore the watch.

This materially decreases the value of the watch and is entirely unnecessary. Please consider leaving the watch in its original state.

Do not replace the dial, hands, or anything else.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:29 PM   #9
brancaj
"TRF" Member

R.W.T and R.O.L.E.X thanks for the advice. I currently shipped it up to Watchmakers International to get serviced, after talking with him he seemed pretty knowledgable about my watch even before seeing a photo. If for some reason he can't perform a service, I will gladly send it out to you R.W.T. to be looked at. I'm glad it looks clean on the outside, and hoping the inside mirrors that. I also do like the yellowing of the dial as it shows the age of the watch and gives good character. I do want it to last many more years so I guess I should get it serviced every 4 years afterward. Any idea what the original strap might have looked like? I'm guessing it was leather, but wondering where I should get one to fit this date period. Thanks again, y'all have really helped me.