The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2018, 02:13 AM   #1
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

who has/uses Apple Watch...

Does it affect how much you wear you Rolex watches or other mechanical time pieces? I sort of want to get an Apple Watch but at the same time I wonder how it may affect how much I wear my mechanical time pieces.
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:20 AM   #2
WJGESQ
Banned

I could not possibly consider having yet another device to charge.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:27 AM   #3
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
I only use it for exercise. cycling and running, syncs with tracking apps. Its light and comfortable and if there is an accident, I dont care if it breaks. Come home, shower and a mechanical watch goes on.
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:31 AM   #4
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I wear one on my right wrist and my Rolex on my left. I wouldn't normally wear 2 watches but I'm recovering from a bad motorcycle accident and have spent the last 14 months learning to walk again. I use the Apple Watch to track all my progress. I got the smaller 1 with a black rubber strap and wear it backwards,with the face on the inside of my wrist when I'm out in public so it looks more like a bracelet.
Old 16 September 2018, 02:36 AM   #5
Oakley12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR / DJ41
i like my apple watch, use it mostly for cycling, as stated above, if it breaks i don't really care, i have apple care. i like it for the fact i don't have to carry my phone everywhere
Oakley12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:37 AM   #6
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Im finding the more advanced they get the more I like wearing one. Just ordered the SS black AW4. It has some pretty sweet tech in it. Ive gotten to the point I have no interest any buying mechanicals as I feel they will be like the pocket watches someday. Don't get me wrong I only have the 116500 nowand its the most beautiful watch I've ever owned and blows the AW out of the water looks wise but the AW is just so useful. Short of always on screen they have fixed almost all my gripes with the AW4.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:42 AM   #7
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgogy View Post
I only use it for exercise. cycling and running, syncs with tracking apps. Its light and comfortable and if there is an accident, I dont care if it breaks. Come home, shower and a mechanical watch goes on.
Yup, same here. I use it for cycling since it has GPS tracking built in and my wife and also track my location.

Been thinking about getting a bike computer with GPS though since it also has cadence sensor among other things.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:02 AM   #8
yuk0nxl1
"TRF" Member

who has/uses Apple Watch...

I had a 42mm Series 2 Nike edition for about 2 weeks. Only planned on wearing it for running or cycling. GPS accuracy was less than stellar and the battery life wasn't great.

For the first week I wore it on my right arm, mechanical watch on my left, but the notifications got annoying after a few hours. The only thing I thought was cool is I could easily reply to texts via voice without having to stop running.

I'm sure they have made some improvements since, but I ended up with a Garmin Fenix 3 and could not be happier. For what I want it for, it does so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuk0nxl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:49 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anestheticsaregood View Post
Does it affect how much you wear you Rolex watches or other mechanical time pieces? I sort of want to get an Apple Watch but at the same time I wonder how it may affect how much I wear my mechanical time pieces.
I wear my Apple watch to exercise, I wear my other watches for everything else.

Not difficult
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:59 AM   #10
PathfinderMP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 Blue 126300
Agree with the others. I have an Apple Watch 3, use it for the gym and working out, and also use it when I’m riding my motorcycle (it’s great having turn by turn notifications pop up on there). I sometimes use it when I have a lot of meetings, too, because I can have alerts pop up on my wrist without having to take out my watch. Other than that it’s one of my nicer watches on my wrist.

Old 16 September 2018, 04:18 AM   #11
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I wear my series 3 at the gym.

Wireless music, texts, cell, - it’s like the next generation iPod.

Not bringing my phone on runs or to the gym is priceless. Most other situations, I’m wearing my mechanical watches.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:23 AM   #12
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the response. May consider getting one for fitness tracking but I don’t know how comfortable it will be/ will take getting used to wearing a watch during barbell cycling and other high intensity workouts. I guess I have to look at it as just another type of watch in that rotation and to wear it when appropriate like any other watch
Old 16 September 2018, 05:53 AM   #13
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
<< Noob question. If your wearing during weightlifting what is the watch even tracking? Just HR?
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:25 AM   #14
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
<< Noob question. If your wearing during weightlifting what is the watch even tracking? Just HR?
Yes I would think Heart rate stats and maybe calories burned
Old 16 September 2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
I use mine mostly in the mornings when I'm working out. I have the Nike Version with cellular and don't use all the functions. Personally I feel it's a bit over hyped.
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 08:53 AM   #16
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I use the garmin 5x.. It can track reps, weight lifted, HR, calories. Really depends how much you tap into its abilities. As far as running or hiking, forgetaboutit...tracks all kinds of things.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:07 AM   #17
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Had one and used it for a bit...it’s nice for working out, meeting notifications, etc. haven’t used it in a while, just keep picking up the SubC date every day
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:37 AM   #18
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
It's a decent product. Wish they would make one that was more like the Tag. I sold mine last year because it just sat on my dresser.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:01 PM   #19
Keadog
"TRF" Member

We're going to each order a series 4 soon. Has anyone been able to compare and contrast the aluminum v ss cases? Neither of us want or need the cellular, but it seems you have to pay for the cellular capability to get a ss case.

Would be only for exercise for me; wife may wear hers more since she won't get a Rolex daily and doesn't wear her PP all the time.

Thanks.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:16 PM   #20
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderMP View Post
Agree with the others. I have an Apple Watch 3, use it for the gym and working out, and also use it when I’m riding my motorcycle (it’s great having turn by turn notifications pop up on there). I sometimes use it when I have a lot of meetings, too, because I can have alerts pop up on my wrist without having to take out my watch. Other than that it’s one of my nicer watches on my wrist.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 08:28 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

You never really own an Apple Watch, your just waiting for the next generation.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:19 PM   #22
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
We're going to each order a series 4 soon. Has anyone been able to compare and contrast the aluminum v ss cases? Neither of us want or need the cellular, but it seems you have to pay for the cellular capability to get a ss case.

Would be only for exercise for me; wife may wear hers more since she won't get a Rolex daily and doesn't wear her PP all the time.

Thanks.
Not sure about the 4 series, but in the three, my cellular is aluminum. I also had a SS model previously (series 2) it was noticeably heavier. I mainly use mine for the gym, and as an iPod, an absolutely great function.

Not sure why you would want the SS case since it really doesn’t add anything.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:32 PM   #23
MinMay
Banned

used to own one but donated it...too many around.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 03:27 PM   #24
PathfinderMP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 Blue 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

To clarify, I’m not saying the Apple Watch is one of my nicer watches on my wrist, I mean that I’m wearing one of my nicer watches instead! LOL Just realized that could be read that way.