The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 October 2021, 01:58 AM   #1
Linguist208
"TRF" Member

New user, confused. Is there a "help me ID my vintage Rolex" thread somewhere?

I inherited a Rolex a while back, by virtue of discovering it in a container that a family friend had in storage for about 30 years. Since I did all the work of reorganizing and cleaning out all of the stored items, and returning them to the family members they belonged to, I was allowed to keep the non-functioning Rolex "Oyster Speedking" that had been in a jewelry box in storage since his death in 1981.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find any information about the specific variant of this watch. I have some photos I can share, but I've just moved and the watch itself is in a box and, at the moment, inaccessible, so I can't share the engraved model number info right now. Soon as I dig that box out of the garage, I can post that.

But where, if anywhere, can I share the picture I have now and get some info? I tried to share the link, but since this is my first post, I wasn't able. If you want to see it, you can go to imgur and put /a/PEVQa after the "dot com" part. (I know the band isn't correct, but it's what was found on the watch.)

Thanks!
Linguist208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 02:11 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Anybody can attach a picture using the paperclip and meeting the size requirements.

Posting a link requires you to meet Forum minimums, and still many will not access a link in todays environment.

Speedkings are well known and there is plenty of information on them on this Forum and throughout the Internet.
Old 15 October 2021, 04:04 AM   #3
Hurricane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist208 View Post
I inherited a Rolex a while back, by virtue of discovering it in a container that a family friend had in storage for about 30 years. Since I did all the work of reorganizing and cleaning out all of the stored items, and returning them to the family members they belonged to, I was allowed to keep the non-functioning Rolex "Oyster Speedking" that had been in a jewelry box in storage since his death in 1981.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find any information about the specific variant of this watch. I have some photos I can share, but I've just moved and the watch itself is in a box and, at the moment, inaccessible, so I can't share the engraved model number info right now. Soon as I dig that box out of the garage, I can post that.

But where, if anywhere, can I share the picture I have now and get some info? I tried to share the link, but since this is my first post, I wasn't able. If you want to see it, you can go to imgur and put /a/PEVQa after the "dot com" part. (I know the band isn't correct, but it's what was found on the watch.)

Thanks!
Here you go, from your link:

Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 10:06 AM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

That is nice. Looks to be all original (except the bracelet, of course). Love the sword hands.

It's quite a small model with a 17 mm lug width, but small is the new big . I'd wear it on a high-quality leather strap - that bracelet doesn't belong on the watch.

Not massively valuable, but a gem nonetheless.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Well done; that’s a very nice gift. Have it serviced and wear the heck out of it.

And, as above, toss the bracelet. Doesn’t fit.

Enjoy your watch.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 12:06 AM   #6
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Very cool watch!!!

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2021, 02:28 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I had to chuckle when I read the thread title, "Is there a "help me ID my vintage Rolex" thread somewhere?"

Yeah, there are thousands of them.

Nice watch OP!
Old 16 October 2021, 09:11 AM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Nice leather strap and you're in business. Buy a few and switch them up. Keeps things fresh!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:47 AM   #9
Linguist208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
Well done; that’s a very nice gift. Have it serviced and wear the heck out of it.
So, I just called my local Rolex sales/service jeweler (yes, they're an actual Rolex service center!) and on the phone the lady told me, "That's a vintage watch. We can't get any parts for it. All we can do is send it in to Rolex, in NYC or Switzerland, and they might be able to make parts, but it will cost $2500 just for them to open it up and see if they can even fix it."

Well, crud. Do I dare take this to a local non-Rolex watchmaker?
Linguist208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 01:11 PM   #10
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, I just called my local Rolex sales/service jeweler (yes, they're an actual Rolex service center!) and on the phone the lady told me, "That's a vintage watch. We can't get any parts for it. All we can do is send it in to Rolex, in NYC or Switzerland, and they might be able to make parts, but it will cost $2500 just for them to open it up and see if they can even fix it."

Well, crud. Do I dare take this to a local non-Rolex watchmaker?

Yes of course you should. Most competent watchmakers can handle the service on that watch.

Looks cool with the underline dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 01:26 PM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, I just called my local Rolex sales/service jeweler (yes, they're an actual Rolex service center!) and on the phone the lady told me, "That's a vintage watch. We can't get any parts for it..."

...Do I dare take this to a local non-Rolex watchmaker?
Yes. Rolex just want you to buy a new one. They're not bothered about vintage, and anyway they'd ruin it by swapping out major original parts like the hands and dial. You've dodged a bullet there.

Make sure the watchmaker you use is recognized in handling vintage Rolex, though. There are a couple of highly recommended ones in LA.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote