The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 October 2021, 11:15 AM   #1
FrankCastello
"TRF" Member

UAE eagle crest Arabic dial authenticity

Can any forum members comment on the authenticity of this dial? Does it look good? I purchased it for a great price, but have the option of returning it and would like to hear others' opinions. The dial color is silver, and the crown logo is silver/white.

I bought this dial to fit into my vintage 16014 Datejust looking for a little special "pop" to add to an otherwise bland watch. If it's a keeper, I will invest in a tritium relume.

Thank you in advance for any viewpoints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2080 (1).jpg (274.9 KB, 280 views)
FrankCastello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 06:43 PM   #2
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Wrong flag colors and the writing is off
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2021, 10:03 PM   #3
FrankCastello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Wrong flag colors and the writing is off
Do you own an example that you can show me? I've been told there were different printings for the eagle crest.
Old 30 October 2021, 11:03 PM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

I dont own one but these ones are genuine:

Old 31 October 2021, 12:36 AM   #5
FrankCastello
"TRF" Member

Hmm... the plot thickens. I just found a listed NOS example online that seems to perfectly match my flag colors and text. It seems there were different variants and printings of these logo dials.

https://www.vintage-portfolio.com/sh...tary-dial-uae/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gm25-rolex-arab-nos-1.jpeg (122.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpeg gm25-rolex-arab-nos-13.jpeg (101.2 KB, 227 views)
Old 31 October 2021, 12:45 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCastello View Post
Hmm... the plot thickens. I just found a listed NOS example online that seems to perfectly match my flag colors and text. It seems there were different variants and printings of these logo dials.

You do realize that this is pretty much the worst dealer in the business. Try to study a large number of examples in an unbiased way (just go to google images and you can see dozens in about 5 minutes), and use common sense about the flag colors. It's incredibly common for someone to cherry-pick other bad examples to justify something they want to believe. Don't fall into that trap. Maybe there's a reason you got that dial for such a great price.
Old 31 October 2021, 01:25 AM   #7
swaini3
"TRF" Member

The writing is . You can barely make out the letters in Arabic. For all Arab country logos, the writing is more legible.
Old 31 October 2021, 01:54 AM   #8
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:

Sadly, your argument falls apart when you cite w examples from Vintage Portfolio.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 02:02 AM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
There are some dealers on C24 who never run out of stock of these rare dials
Old 31 October 2021, 10:57 AM   #10
FrankCastello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
You do realize that this is pretty much the worst dealer in the business. Try to study a large number of examples in an unbiased way (just go to google images and you can see dozens in about 5 minutes), and use common sense about the flag colors. It's incredibly common for someone to cherry-pick other bad examples to justify something they want to believe. Don't fall into that trap. Maybe there's a reason you got that dial for such a great price.
Question. The dial itself looks like an authentic Rolex datejust dial to me. Are you saying that the UAE stamp is a fake, or the entire dial is fake? If someone only faked the stamp, they would have had to erase the entire paragraph of text where would normally be located in the same place that the eagle crest now resides, create a fake stamp, and then apply it. Would it make sense for someone to go through this much effort to alter a dial that is not particularly valuable outside of collecting circles? I’m just thinking out loud.
Old 31 October 2021, 11:18 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Question. The dial itself looks like an authentic Rolex datejust dial to me. Are you saying that the UAE stamp is a fake, or the entire dial is fake? If someone only faked the stamp, they would have had to erase the entire paragraph of text where would normally be located in the same place that the eagle crest now resides, create a fake stamp, and then apply it. Would it make sense for someone to go through this much effort to alter a dial that is not particularly valuable outside of collecting circles? I’m just thinking out loud.
We get this sort of reasoning a lot on watch forums, but IMO there's not much point in this type of speculation. It's trivial to cover up existing text.

Confirmation bias is only natural. But when I'm looking at a watch, I just try to do my research, pay attention to details, and follow the evidence where it leads me.
Old 1 November 2021, 05:17 AM   #12
FrankCastello
"TRF" Member

I just found additional examples of identical dials to mine: https://timescube.store/products/rol...nt=28554658184

From TRF: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=636386

At this point, I'm not in the dial for too much $$ and it's interesting enough be be worth keeping and holding onto for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EvFAU0qh.jpeg (182.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 1 November 2021, 05:33 AM   #13
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

UAE eagle crest Arabic dial authenticity

Bottom right and bottom left are different. Bottom left has much better print quality and flag colors are correct.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 08:00 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Frank, you seem like you are predisposed and believe your dial is correct and genuine so why ask others if it is genuine? You obviously do not know your dial is genuine or you wouldn't have asked others to judge it.

I am not an expert on the flag dials, but I do know about counterfeits, counterfeiting and counterfeiters and your dial appears to be a poor quality copy.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 01:58 PM   #15
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Sadly, your argument falls apart when you cite w examples from Vintage Portfolio.
On top of that, even Vintage Portfolio listing says "We believe that the UAE Logo has been printed onto the dial at a later date by the previous owner."
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote