The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 October 2021, 04:04 AM   #1
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
Tudor Marine Nationale Sub

At the recent Head of the Charles Regatta (world's largest rowing regatta), I was spectating next to a Frenchman who was discussing what he described as a very rare Tudor Sub. He mentioned that the French Navy (Marine Nationale) issued several Tudor references to their divers, commandos, and submarine officers from the late 60s to the late 70s. This sounded intriguing, and I wonder if anyone can elaborate on sources for these watches. While I am sure that they are expensive, it is hard to imagine that they are valued in the the range of the famous Rolex Mil Subs. An issued diver's watch from the 70's is at the top of my list for an aspirational acquisition, but a quick search on TRF and C24 yielded no results. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 04:54 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

They show up occasionally in the usual places. I was lucky to find one locally from a friend of a friend, although it's probably the least desirable variant. Prices vary depending on the variant (reference, color, hand-set) and condition and accessories, but they are often in the $20k range, more or less. Keep in mind that they are tricky to authenticate since the markings (and even the paperwork) can be faked pretty easily. There is a ton of info on the internet about Tudor Marine Nationale Subs if you use google. Here's an old blog post by Ross Povey to get you started.

https://tudorcollector.wordpress.com...ine-nationale/
Old 31 October 2021, 08:30 AM   #3
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
I was not at the Head of the Charles.

The Tudor watches for the MN started 57/58 and delivered thru the 80s, used a while later.

Here is a beaten and ridden hard 59 MN

Not Safe Queens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7928SCG-Jan21-2.jpg (87.7 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 7928SCG-Jan21-1.jpg (96.8 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 7928SCG-Jan21-3.jpg (239.2 KB, 294 views)
Old 31 October 2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
They show up occasionally in the usual places. I was lucky to find one locally from a friend of a friend, although it's probably the least desirable variant. Prices vary depending on the variant (reference, color, hand-set) and condition and accessories, but they are often in the $20k range, more or less. Keep in mind that they are tricky to authenticate since the markings (and even the paperwork) can be faked pretty easily. There is a ton of info on the internet about Tudor Marine Nationale Subs if you use google. Here's an old blog post by Ross Povey to get you started.

https://tudorcollector.wordpress.com...ine-nationale/
Thank you, and I will start looking, though the price range is a bit steep for me. However, a real one must have some very interesting history. That article for which you provided a link has a wealth of information. These must have a following that is very focused, not in the mainstream.
Old 31 October 2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post

The Tudor watches for the MN started 57/58 and delivered thru the 80s, used a while later.

Not Safe Queens
That '59 is a great example of an issued watch, clearly used for the purpose intended. And, that collection is a bit mind blowing. It must be a quantifiable percentage of the MN production! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 31 October 2021, 12:31 PM   #6
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
That '59 is a great example of an issued watch, clearly used for the purpose intended. And, that collection is a bit mind blowing. It must be a quantifiable percentage of the MN production! Thanks so much for sharing.
Only the Square is a MN - there are other MNs in the shop.

MN Models are almost all of the 50s-80s Subs: 7922, 7922 Big Crown, 7924, 7928 Square, 7928 Eagle Beak, 7928 Pointed, 7928, 7016, 94010.

The most common MN Tudors are the Blue snowflakes from 74 through early 80s / Triangle dials mid 80s. Prices start low 20s and run into 30s.

I do not even know what my beater Square is worth but there are two nicer 7928 Square Crown Guards on C24 for 140K each. Some serious MN collectors believe all Squares are MN.
Old 31 October 2021, 05:27 PM   #7
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Tudor announced a new partnership with the French Navy last spring, and in doing so provided this info on their web sight

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/inside...rine-nationale
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Only the Square is a MN - there are other MNs in the shop.

MN Models are almost all of the 50s-80s Subs: 7922, 7922 Big Crown, 7924, 7928 Square, 7928 Eagle Beak, 7928 Pointed, 7928, 7016, 94010.

The most common MN Tudors are the Blue snowflakes from 74 through early 80s / Triangle dials mid 80s. Prices start low 20s and run into 30s.

I do not even know what my beater Square is worth but there are two nicer 7928 Square Crown Guards on C24 for 140K each. Some serious MN collectors believe all Squares are MN.
That wide range of MN models sounds like a target rich environment for eventually finding one. Thank you, this will be a fun search.Finding a genuine one at a reasonable price will be the challenge.
Old 31 October 2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Tudor announced a new partnership with the French Navy last spring, and in doing so provided this info on their web sight

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/inside...rine-nationale
That's very helpful, thank you.
Old 31 October 2021, 11:39 PM   #10
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:

Not Safe Queens
Some very nice pieces here!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 12:19 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Only the Square is a MN...
Well that's a grail.
Old 1 November 2021, 12:59 AM   #12
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Well that's a grail.
Second the motion!
Old 2 November 2021, 01:18 AM   #13
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

I think there is one in the upcoming Phillips auction. Don't quote me though, I didn't look carefully!
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2021, 02:56 AM   #14
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
I think there is one in the upcoming Phillips auction. Don't quote me though, I didn't look carefully!
You are correct, I just looked at it on their website.
It will be interesting to see if it sells, and if so, what price it brings.
None of the MN issued Tudors were equipped with a bracelet, perlon straps were standard, and later there were straps made from parachute rigging such as those offered by Erika's Originals.Weighing in on the actual watch is way above my capabilities, but it would be enlightening to see comments on authenticity from those qualified to do so.

Thank you for mentioning the watch.