The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #1
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Patek service on pieces over 20 years old

My 5035 is coming up to the 20 year mark and I'm going to send it in for service prior to that point. Does anyone have any experience with watches from the 90s that went in for service but were over that 20 year mark? I know that Patek website service prices are quoted for watches under that mark. Let's assume it's just a standard service, do you think there is a substantial difference if you are close to the 20 year old mark? Obviously this question is not meant for watches that are from the 60s or something, just something recent that has entered that vintage point.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 10:04 PM   #2
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Don't know about the service but I've been looking at the 5035 for a long time and would be interested in some feedback..

Did you have it for long? Does it get a lot of wear? What do you feel are the pros/con with this model?
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 10:06 PM   #3
fuigo
"TRF" Member

I sent a 3940J in along with a 5980/1A. They charged me the about the same for each watch.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:59 PM   #4
gpwhite
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Journe
The 315 caliber is common across Patek references, and age per se will not affect the basic service fee of ~US$ 1,300. If your watch needs additional parts, in the evaluation of the PP watchmaker, then the price will go up as will be detailed for you.

I owned a very early 5035P for about 15 years, and it had all sorts of problems requiring several visits to Patek New York for repairs. I mention my experience because it may be that Patek refurbishes 315 calibers more aggressively now, whereas the 240 caliber in all of its flavors is nearly as bulletproof as a Rolex and so requires less work.
gpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:51 AM   #5
Tan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Don't know about the service but I've been looking at the 5035 for a long time and would be interested in some feedback..

Did you have it for long? Does it get a lot of wear? What do you feel are the pros/con with this model?
I absolutely love the watch. I purchased mine in the fall of last year and wore it daily for about 2 months before keeping it on a winder for less frequent weekly use. The choice to put it on the winder was more so that I wanted to rotate my other pieces with the watch but I would have no problem using it as a daily. I got mine in white gold with the slate grey dial, which is easily adaptable to casual wear. I would say that the pros are that it is a complicated piece that is well within Rolex price ranges, it comes with an extremely usable complication, and if you choose the right metal can be diverse enough for a daily. I would say the cons are that this model still has not quite picked up in popularity with vintage collectors so it does not get much respect from the community, if you get yellow gold it could become more dressy with the romans, and it may be a tad small if you have a larger wrist (ie: above 7.5").
Old 20 April 2019, 10:56 PM   #6
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
I absolutely love the watch. I purchased mine in the fall of last year and wore it daily for about 2 months before keeping it on a winder for less frequent weekly use. The choice to put it on the winder was more so that I wanted to rotate my other pieces with the watch but I would have no problem using it as a daily. I got mine in white gold with the slate grey dial, which is easily adaptable to casual wear. I would say that the pros are that it is a complicated piece that is well within Rolex price ranges, it comes with an extremely usable complication, and if you choose the right metal can be diverse enough for a daily. I would say the cons are that this model still has not quite picked up in popularity with vintage collectors so it does not get much respect from the community, if you get yellow gold it could become more dressy with the romans, and it may be a tad small if you have a larger wrist (ie: above 7.5").
Thanks for your feedback!!
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:02 PM   #7
Tan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Thanks for your feedback!!
Sorry one portion of your question I wasn't clear on, I wear the Annual Calendar probably 2-3 times a week in rotation with my other watches, it is on the winder for the remaining days to keep it current.