The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 February 2019, 04:42 AM   #121
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
Does anyone know why these ADs will be cut? I have deposit with one of them.
My best guess is they are underperforming stores. If i ran a business i would continue to shift the business mix up. Shut down laggards increase better stores.

China in my mind should have like 20% to 1/3rd of the stores.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 07:09 AM   #122
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I also think Patek is getting more strict about in-store presentation (a la Rolex) and will be focusing on the AD boutiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 07:10 AM   #123
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I also think Patek is getting more strict about in-store presentation (a la Rolex) and will be focusing on the AD boutiques.

My AD just finished giving Patek their own room. It use to be where the watchmakers were but they moved them upstairs to give Patek a distinct space within the store. It looks much better.
It still tends to be a bit disjointed with window displays and transitioning to in store "mini" boutiques though as everything isn't all together for any brand if you count what's also in the window

If they lose their AD status though, i quit. seriously
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:15 AM   #124
5Zigen
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
My AD just finished giving Patek their own room. It use to be where the watchmakers were but they moved them upstairs to give Patek a distinct space within the store. It looks much better.
It still tends to be a bit disjointed with window displays and transitioning to in store "mini" boutiques though as everything isn't all together for any brand if you count what's also in the window

If they lose their AD status though, i quit. seriously
Similar, my AD just completed a remodelling/expansion and one side of the store now is completely dedicated to Patek (they had to give up several brands to facilitate this). Looks much nicer than before.
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:51 AM   #125
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Zigen View Post
Similar, my AD just completed a remodelling/expansion and one side of the store now is completely dedicated to Patek (they had to give up several brands to facilitate this). Looks much nicer than before.

Ditto. Within the past year my AD renovated to create a Patek “space”. It started w Rolex... then Patek then Cartier . This may be the way of the future if ADs want to keep the big manufactures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:14 PM   #126
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
How do you see the list of those AD’s that were cut? Is the current AD list on the PP website the way to see?
This is discussed above. Mine is already off the Patek website but it appears from other posted that others have been cut but still showing on Patek.com. No list of those cut of which I am aware.
Old 11 February 2019, 11:24 PM   #127
schwiering
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahfe View Post
No they are not, check patek site..
I work for Tiffany and this is what we have been told. Pieces are to be out of the stores by the end of February.
schwiering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 01:39 AM   #128
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwiering View Post
I work for Tiffany and this is what we have been told. Pieces are to be out of the stores by the end of February.
So what happens to unsold pieces?
Old 12 February 2019, 01:55 AM   #129
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
So what happens to unsold pieces?
Likely move to another location - I assume Tiffany isn't really a franchise :D
AAP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:28 AM   #130
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

In the case of my AD that was cut, they have to ship all unsold inventory back by Feb.15th.
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:04 AM   #131
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

You know what is so sad? The smaller local jewelers are the ones that are cut.. I know of an AD who sells his watches for grey market prices straight up, and he discounts the low demand models and guess what, he is still on their list for both Rolex and Patek. My ad was a true gent, you can't believe how many apologies I got just because they couldn't deliver my watch, while the big ones just talk down on you. I contacted a new AD, and he kept laughing at me when I told him what I want, and when I told him I am not a newbie he told me they all say that. So sad, I felt humiliated just asking for what I like to buy with my money, it wasn't like he was giving it to me for free or discount.. oh well, c'est la vie!
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:00 AM   #132
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I thought the ADs had to purchase the stock and if they were responsible for selling. If they have to have stock out of the store is Patek refunding their purchase?
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #133
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I thought the ADs had to purchase the stock and if they were responsible for selling. If they have to have stock out of the store is Patek refunding their purchase?
AFAIK they own it, but w/o status they can't sell a warranted watch so people probably wouldn't buy it once they are no longer an AD. Its nice if Patek is buying them back but they would probably make more money just heavily discounting them... unless Patek is paying retail which i doubt.

No idea where my AD's AP stock went on Jan 1 when they no longer were an AP AD... they had a lot of high dollar watches and they are gone. They were still there dec 26th when i tried a bunch on. I kind of dont think AP bought them back so they may have gone to a broker or secondary dealer. They still wouldn't sell me one at cost so they got more for them from someone,

probably goes like this... They all get sold in bulk to a dealer with active warranties the last day they are an AD. The dealer then sells them on as preowned watches that originally came from an AD so the COO is valid....unless the AD contract with the brand says otherwise, like they have the right to purchase back at 'X' price.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 12 February 2019, 07:33 AM   #134
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
Quote:
AFAIK they own it, but w/o status they can't sell a warranted watch so people probably wouldn't buy it once they are no longer an AD. Its nice if Patek is buying them back but they would probably make more money just heavily discounting them... unless Patek is paying retail which i doubt.

No idea where my AD's AP stock went on Jan 1 when they no longer were an AP AD... they had a lot of high dollar watches and they are gone. They were still there dec 26th when i tried a bunch on. I kind of dont think AP bought them back so they may have gone to a broker or secondary dealer. They still wouldn't sell me one at cost so they got more for them from someone,

probably goes like this... They all get sold in bulk to a dealer with active warranties the last day they are an AD. The dealer then sells them on as preowned watches that originally came from an AD so the COO is valid....unless the AD contract with the brand says otherwise, like they have the right to purchase back at 'X' price.
This is likely why some greys will have a lot of watches available soon enough.

Also for any stores that are multiple branches - might just shift branches.
AAP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:00 AM   #135
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
How do you see the list of those AD’s that were cut? Is the current AD list on the PP website the way to see?
Agreed. Can someone list the ADs that were cut.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:42 AM   #136
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Agreed. Can someone list the ADs that were cut.
In the UK WOS Cardiff, WOS Royal Exchange and Mappin and Webb Old Bond Street lost AD status.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:50 PM   #137
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
In the UK WOS Cardiff, WOS Royal Exchange and Mappin and Webb Old Bond Street lost AD status.
so basically no AD'S were cut...just locations.

In a sense if someone had a relationship there they still have it with the chain, just at a different location most likely
Old 12 February 2019, 04:05 PM   #138
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahfe View Post
You know what is so sad? The smaller local jewelers are the ones that are cut.. I know of an AD who sells his watches for grey market prices straight up, and he discounts the low demand models and guess what, he is still on their list for both Rolex and Patek. My ad was a true gent, you can't believe how many apologies I got just because they couldn't deliver my watch, while the big ones just talk down on you. I contacted a new AD, and he kept laughing at me when I told him what I want, and when I told him I am not a newbie he told me they all say that. So sad, I felt humiliated just asking for what I like to buy with my money, it wasn't like he was giving it to me for free or discount.. oh well, c'est la vie!
My out-of-state AD was also great and gave me a spot for 5711 white in July 2017 without asking for a purchase history. I was on waitlsit for a 5712 this year. I called 1/3 of the US ADs on Thursday and Friday for a waitlsit spot for 5712 and 5164 and half of them cut me in middle of the conversation, literally asking me to get lost. Quite a few asked to purchase something to get a relationship started but without any expectations for a Nautlius or Aquanaut. Only few spoke kindly but without giving any hope for a watch in the next 5 years.

My only hope is my local AD who has asked for a purchase in the past to be considered for a Nautlius or an Aquanaut. It seems I will have to purchase a hard-to-move watch at full price to get a real shot at the 5164 and 5712. I am still waiting to hear back on when they can get me a 5712 and/or 5614 and what will that require. If the proposal is ridiculous, I will seriously contemplate on giving up on Patek for the next few years and only focus on brands like Lange, VC, and Journe, whose non-sport offerings are far superior to Patek, especially below the $50-60k range.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:59 PM   #139
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
so basically no AD'S were cut...just locations.

In a sense if someone had a relationship there they still have it with the chain, just at a different location most likely
They lost the locations but I was told they get the similar allocations and their good customers will be moved to the other stores so they won't get affected. It will be the new customers who is waiting for their first Nautilus/Aquanaut will be affected.

I spoke to an owner of a small independent AD who invested significant amount of money creating a showcase area for Patek. He mentioned that his allocation this year for Nautilus/Aquanaut was less compared to last year and he was not getting any models such as 5980R, 5980AR, 5712G etc. He didn't loose his AD status this time but worried that he may lose it in the next couple of years.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 01:52 AM   #140
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Yup. This is the AD I have deposits with. Trying not to panic at the moment.

Which AD is that?

HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #141
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They lost the locations but I was told they get the similar allocations and their good customers will be moved to the other stores so they won't get affected. It will be the new customers who is waiting for their first Nautilus/Aquanaut will be affected.

I spoke to an owner of a small independent AD who invested significant amount of money creating a showcase area for Patek. He mentioned that his allocation this year for Nautilus/Aquanaut was less compared to last year and he was not getting any models such as 5980R, 5980AR, 5712G etc. He didn't loose his AD status this time but worried that he may lose it in the next couple of years.
yes, once the one store AD's go, that is very detrimental to customers and the AD. Thankfully that isn't happening at the present, in the UK. Yet.
Old 13 February 2019, 08:35 AM   #142
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

I ve always thought these refs what PP loves to sell ,PM w high margin.interesting but from calatravas noone can make his living .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 08:47 AM   #143
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Which AD is that?

the one in Cliffside Park, NJ (think "tng11" seems to live in Canada - so not sure how that works!).
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 09:14 AM   #144
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
My US AD was unfortunately cut. They were a family run AD in the Midwest and it’s disappointing to these these family run shops cut as they invest a lot in the brands, etc. they have been very good to me and thankfully I have gotten most of what I wanted so I’m happy in that regard but feel bad for them in general. Good people.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 12:23 AM   #145
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
the one in Cliffside Park, NJ (think "tng11" seems to live in Canada - so not sure how that works!).
I don't see how it doesn't work? Many around here seem to deal with an AD that is not necessarily local to them...
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 01:42 AM   #146
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Ive never heard of one neither
Razny in Chicago requires deposits...50%
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 03:37 AM   #147
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I don’t use an AD, I prefer pre-owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 04:17 AM   #148
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
I don’t use an AD, I prefer pre-owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Now that is value added
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 05:01 AM   #149
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post
Just to be sure - in order to put me on a 2- or 3-year waitlist for a very desirable piece Razny would ask for 50% upfront?

I would have some sympathy if ADs requested a 10% deposit to make sure potential buyers are serious (and don't get in line for the same piece at a multitude of ADs), but 50% is completely unreasonable IMHO.

Will they work w that money for free? Is the money in escrow and at least protected against them going belly up?

Luckily I have never heard of any deposits over here...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 05:28 AM   #150
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post
Presumably only once they have a confirmed delivery date that is imminent?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote