The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 2 November 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
A 7 year review of the Baume Et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph

It's not often I keep a watch so long, so, I thought it might be fun to do a review of this watch, its ups and downs over the years.

I bought it from a gray market internet dealer just after they came out, it must be around 7-8 years ago. I always felt the quality and finish work to be extremely high, and have long felt this watch never quite got the attention it deserved. For whatever reason, they never became a hot watch, but I'm not into watches for their popularity anyway, quality is what I'm after, and I have to say, in the years I've owned it, as picky as I am, it really never disappointed, I've had many "finer" watches that weren't nearly as well made and precise.

It runs on a modified 7750 mvt, I don't recall the caliber B&M named it, but it has proven to be an extremely accurate and precise performer. It has seen a fair bit of ocean and pool immersion, including using the chrono underwater, the watch is rated at 200M and you can actually use the chrono function at 200M according to B&M. I also never babied it, the mvt received it's fair share of jolts and shocks, and never missed a beat.

When I wore the watch off and on for a few years, it was accurate to a second or 2 a day, very consistantly. But, as I procrastinated sending it in for service, after some years, perhaps 4-5, it started to finally lose it's accuracy, and still I procrastinated, as I had other, newer watches I was happily playing around with, and so it sat, unloved and unworn. But a few months ago, I finally sent it in for a service, they of course offered to refinish for a fee, which I declined, as the watch was in pretty good shape already, and once worn again, would get those scratches soon anyway.

For what I felt was a very reasonable $300, and remember, this watch was bought without a valid warranty, gray market, they did a complete service, including repolishing of the hands, cleaning/lubing of case, mvt, adjustment and pressure testing/new seals. And the watch now basically has a 1 year factory warranty on it, what a deal, seriously.

Well, I got the watch back in only about 3 weeks, and since receiving it, to my delight, the thing is consistantly gaining a whopping second a day and the mvt purrs like a kitten. The bezel, and all sub dials still zero perfectly, and other than the very light bezel scratches, I feel like I have a new watch again. The surprisingly bright super luminova still glows very intensely, and the bezel still has a very strong, stiff (in a good way) feel to it, with not a hint of weakening or misalignment. It's really just like it was when brand new. I've had some more expensive divers have their bezels lose precision and strength within a year or so of light use, this one stayed strong and dead on for 7-8, and the watch isn't really a serious diver, though it certainly could be used as such with a solid 200M WR.

And since they now retail for around 4K on bracelet, and I paid $1500 new on bracelet gray market those years ago, well, I certainly can't complain. :)

My only gripes are: the beautifully finished SS bracelet doesn't have a micro adjustment feature, and can only be sized by removing/adding links, but, the links are screwed in with large flathead ss screws, so, not too difficult to do if you choose. The other is that the bezel is a little harder to turn when wet than it should be, but, again, this is much more of a sport watch than a serious dive watch, and I can and do live with that. These are really my only minor complaints, and I can be pretty anal and picky. :) (I know, WHAT??? an anal watch enthusiast?)

Great, underrated watch, that can still be had new from gray market dealers for around $1900 on steel and perhaps like new on Ebay or elsewhere for closer to $1200, which frankly is a major bargain. It's sporty and robust, but not overly thick or heavy and looks great as a dress watch too. Knowing now how high the quality is of the Capeland series, I only wish I had snagged one of the XXL Ti Capeland divers back when I had the chance years ago for a very good price, that would have been a really nice diver to own I suspect. Oh well, can't have them all I guess, but I'll try...

Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
wonderful review of an amazing watch

the XXL diver is one of my all time favs.your chrono capeland is also fabulous
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Great review of real beauty, thanks for sharing!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Well done!
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2010, 05:12 AM   #5
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
Nice great review
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 08:42 PM   #6
derekloimer

Good review. I agree that the Capeland is an under rated watch. I notice that a new version has just been released. The old versions are a great buy on eBay
derekloimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 02:21 PM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review and beautiful watch!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2011, 12:12 AM   #8
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Submariner
i have one of the original capeland automatics, purchased new at bucherer in geneva in december, 1999, and it is one of the best watches i've ever owned.

2009 16610 Submariner Date
1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
1965 Vulcain Voyager Chronograph
bscepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
why did they stop making the capeland!?!...B&M...liked them so much better a few years ago.....
Old 22 May 2011, 01:02 PM   #10
diveguy
"TRF" Member

Sweeet

Thanks for the review.
diveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 07:48 PM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Nice review, sounds like and looks like a great watch.

Thanks for sharing.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Roundels
"TRF" Member

B&M Service

Where did you get your watch serviced?
Roundels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 03:19 AM   #13

Nice watches
11618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2011, 06:27 AM   #14
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I really like my Capeland. Exactly the same as yours except mine is the Chrono version! It was the one that started this watch collecting habit!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk